Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Collins has always been a better player than Vlaar, whether in a Villa shirt or not.

That said, at Villa's current position, assuming no takeover, keeping Vlaar on reasonable wages would be a positive for the squad. He's OK for lower midtable and if you don't expect your defence to allow less than 50-55 goals per season.

Has he balls :crylaugh:

Vlaar's going through an uncharacteristic bad patch - this is the worst he's been for us and this is not his normal level. Collins made mistakes all the time.

I feel like people are letting some of his recent high profile mistakes cloud their judgement on him (see Guzan for a similar reaction. went from best keeper outside top 6 to someone we need to replace :lol: ) . While Collins might not have made as many individual errors, he more than makes up for it with his generally poor positioning and propensity for being easily turned by strikers with the slightest bit of pace or trickery. Also seems to still be trying to figure out what a grounded pass is, Vlaar is easily the better footballer in that regard. Collins is much better and more commanding in the air granted, but that's pretty much all I can think of.

• Like 1

I think on the whole Vlaar has been good for us considering how little we paid for him. Even considering his dip in form that i think coincides with his constant injuries of late.

Vlaar has been money well spent, but that all goes out the window if we offer him a new contract, that would be a waste of money.

I think Ron's been very positive for us, so wish him well. I wonder whether the World Cup took too much out of him, or whether he'd have ended up getting injured so much any way. Either way, I think he'd be an attractive option for a lot of teams abroad or as a backup at a Champions League team.

Vlaar is the better defender, but in terms of performances for us, Collins was more solid, consistent and less error prone centre half.

Yep I'd go with that. Vlaar has clearly been talented (I think injuries may have ruined him now) but on the whole he's been average and injured here. Don't care how talented he is if he rarely performs to that level or spends too much time injured its done nothing to contribute to us.

Maybe a summer without any football will give him chance to get over any injuries and we'll see a much better Vlaar next season. I think him and Clark are our best pairing and I rate him much higher than Collins. 

• Like 1

He has been playing through pain and looked to be limping a lot in recent games. It's feasible thst the injuries have affected his performance level and I'm just about happy enough to see him stay here as he proved in the past to be really good for us, at the same time I won't be too bothered if he goes.

• Like 1

For a pay cut he's got to be worth keeping in the squad.

He won't be wanting to take a pay cut though. He's going to want a big contract as it's probably (with his injury problems) going to be his last. Take into account that fact that he would be forfeiting a signing on fee with someone else too and he's probably going to want at least £60k a week. Not worth it imo. But it's a tricky decision. 

If he wants the same wages it would be a piss take, let alone an increase. He's not in a position to demand a pay rise because no other club is going to pay him £60,000 a week.

If he wants to stay at premier league level I think we're in the driving seat now.

Â