Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Waste of money,  should never have been bought,  would have been better off taking the full transfer fee and not wasting £8M in fees and around £11M in wages on this bloke.  That's almost £20M right there and he continues to hinder our progression as we cant get rid of him and free up those wages for someone more useful.  Which is strange thing to say as I'm struggling to think of how anyone could be less useful

This post is so depressing.  I hope that when you say we can't get rid of him that you are mistaken.

Which is why i can see us offering paying him off for 2m and letting him slope around the MLS.

I thought that someone said we had, to which Ireland declined and that he wants the full amount... (which in all honestly despite me not liking it, he is perfectly entitled to do)

• 2 weeks later...

Surely one of our worst signings ever, still makes me laugh that he was voted player of the season. What were people thinking...

I think it says more about that season than the people voting as he was probably our best player.

He is shocking though. I can't believe he's still on our books, but who would take him and why would he take a pay cut??

Surely one of our worst signings ever, still makes me laugh that he was voted player of the season. What were people thinking...

I think it says more about that season than the people voting as he was probably our best player.

He is shocking though. I can't believe he's still on our books, but who would take him and why would he take a pay cut??

I would say it says more about football fans! A their lack of knowledge, B their short memories! Ireland scored one goal and made 3 assists, in the second half of a season, he has some nice touches and makes the highlight reel but really does offer much! Plus that season Gabby was on fire in the first 12 matches or so and scored 7 goals and made 6 assists but at the end everyone was talking about his crap he was, but it was the teams resullts in the first half of that season that saved our asses!

what type of clubs would want him?

it would take a manager with alot of patience to get anything worthwhile out of him, and no chairman would see him as an asset, is he in the ireland fold at all?

what type of clubs would want him?

it would take a manager with alot of patience to get anything worthwhile out of him, and no chairman would see him as an asset, is he in the ireland fold at all?

I'm sure Hughes will take a punt at some stage, if the price was right (or zero)

hope so, although he might not be hampering progression of the younger lads, hes still sitting on wages that could be better spent else where

but just to look at this from irelands angle, he must be frustrated and his own performances and therefore not being good enough to be selected? or is it a case of he just doesnt care and just wants the money

Unfortunately for us fans, for everyone that calls Benkeke disloyal for wanting to ditch his contract and move on, we can't in the same breath moan at Ireland for wanting to 'honour' his.

I too want him gone as he's a drain to our club, but that is the risk undertaken in football. The good ones are wanted by others and the club are lumbered with the bad ones. We can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone will see some value in taking him off our hands, just as many would see the same in the good uns of past and present.

Waste of money,  should never have been bought,  would have been better off taking the full transfer fee and not wasting £8M in fees and around £11M in wages on this bloke.  That's almost £20M right there and he continues to hinder our progression as we cant get rid of him and free up those wages for someone more useful.  Which is strange thing to say as I'm struggling to think of how anyone could be less useful

Challenge accepted.

Bosko Balaban

:ph34r:

But I do actually agree. The sooner we get rid of Ireland the better.

It's weird for some reason we all expected Ireland to be this amazing player, most of the time he played he did ok but never really found a role in the team that worked. Lambert either wants grafters or strikers, the concept of a creative midfielder barely exists in his teams. McCleish player 10 defenders and one striker, Ireland could pass the ball fwd so was therefore out best player at that time.

I don't think he deserves the hate he gets on here, but I admit he really must do something to wind managers up to get binned off repeatedly.

Â