Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Can we repoen the thread?

Just wanted to post that I have been impressed with him in pre season. Looks really up for it and some of his passing has been great to watch. Think him, Al Ahmadi, Bannan/New CM and Holman will be a great 4 in midfield. Narrow but with the emphasis on possession football and not playing in straight lines for once!

I've been impressed with him too. His passing has looked very sharp.

Slight concern is that he seems to be played on the wings (then cutting in) a lot from what i've seen from pre-season games. Think i'd rather him playing behind a striker.

I think thats his best position to be honest. But only in a team playing possession football and quite narrow. Out there he has the freedom to cut in and get in behind the midfield.

I rate him, the best pure footballer we could realistically hope for. Probably better than what we'd attract on the open market in fairness! :flag:

I've always liked SI, think he has great skill on the ball and has the ability to do this one touch passing which is always beneficial, this means (i think) him and KEA will work well together, having two in the midfield who are able to just find a pass with great ease and make space for each other could be brilliant!

I know it's club PR but I'm very pleased with what I'm reading here.

the club deserve better and the fans deserve better than what's been happening

Very diplomatic. :clap:

This is a very good point, and I think the way Lambert will set up. A narrow 4 in midfield, Stephen Ireland behind Bent in the "No. 10" role. This means the fullbacks can provide the width.

It may mean we need to sign a new left back of course.

The right back we just signed has some unbelievable tekkers. I'm genuinely quite excited by Lowton, odd to some perhaps but he just seems right from everything I've heard. I'm a fan of Lichaj as well, offering solid balance on the other side but agree that another full back in to the mix is a big want. Not a necessity, but it would be nice.

Sorry.... back to Stephen Ireland. Who I think is brilliant.

Agreed. The "lazy" tag he seems have really baffles me.

He may be a lot of things, but lazy isn't one of them.

Agreed.

Whenever the stats from the games I watched on the telly last season popped up at halftime he would always be the player in the Villa team who had covered the highest distance. He put in a decent amount of interceptions and tackles as well, considering he's a attack minded player none the least.

I rate him, rated him last season and think he'll look twice or thrice the player we've seen so far* in the upcoming season.

*EDIT: forgot to finish the sentence.

Â