Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Not sure if anyone else has heard this but he is leaving the club. No pay off, no transfer fee....will be announced when he returns from holiday.

Ireland has been on holiday for (insert number of months since his last decent game for us).

Not sure if anyone else has heard this but he is leaving the club. No pay off, no transfer fee....will be announced when he returns from holiday.

Circumstances dictates

Dont see it unless somehow he has managed to get a better deal elsewhere OR has decided to retire

If was something disciplinary related the club wouldnt wait until he ended his holiday

Circumstances dictates

Dont see it unless somehow he has managed to get a better deal elsewhere OR has decided to retire

If was something disciplinary related the club wouldnt wait until he ended his holiday

If it is disciplinary related I would imagine that it is best for both parties to wait for a player to return from holiday to announce anything. Stops the press hassling the player whilst he's away and also stops them hassling us when the player is not here.

Ireland might not come across as the sharpest tool in the box, but he can't be that stupid can he?

I don't think it is about intelligence necessarily. You could be as sharp as they come, but especially in the heat of the moment things like depression, personality disorders, substance abuse, general bad habits could render powerless your analytical sense or ability to think forward. Of course I have no idea what Ireland's case is, but some of his earlier decisions indicates that he doesn't have a "strong" or very disciplined personality.

I feel sorry for Ireland if this is the case. Not for the money (on the contrary, woohoo!) but incidents like this probably means a "not optimal" quality of life for the fella.

• Like 2

Stephen Ireland told he can leave Aston Villa by manager Paul Lambert Stephen Ireland is the latest high earner to be told he can leave Aston Villa, as Paul Lambert continues to build for the future after making two new signings.
stephen-ireland_2589515b.jpg
Moving on: Stephen Ireland has been told he can leave Villa Park Photo: GETTY IMAGES

10:30PM BST 13 Jun 2013

comments.gif1 Comment

Ireland has been informed he can find another club as manager Lambert attempts to further slash the wage bill by offloading fringe players on substantial wages.

The former Manchester City midfielder was Aston Villa supporters' player of the year for the 2011/12 campaign but he has not made a Premier League appearance since the 3-0 home defeat to Wigan in December.

Ireland has only 12 months left on his £65,000 a week contract and though Villa are reluctant to allow him to leave on a free transfer, they will accept a significant loss on a player who cost them £8 million.

Darren Bent, Shay Given and Alan Hutton have also been cleared to go, while Richard Dunne has already departed after his contract expired.

Lambert is keen to build a young and vibrant squad and completed deals for FC Nordsjaelland defender Jores Okore and FC Groningen midfielder Leandro Bacuna on Thursday.

Okore, 20, has established an impressive reputation in Denmark and was on the radar of Chelsea in January. He said: "We have players who have experience of the Premier League and hopefully I can also bring something from my experience in the Champions League.

"The manager is determined to develop us and to help us become better players, proving to people that we can become a top team. We can get some exciting things going here.

"We're a young team and we played some really good football over the second half of last season which is something we want to build on now as players, as a team and as a club. I know there is great potential in the team."

Bacuna, the Netherlands under-21 international, was also at Villa's training ground for a medical on Thursday and will sign a three-year contract.

Villa have already signed Lech Poznan winger Aleksandar Tonev while Aalborg striker Nicklas Helenius is also poised to join Lambert's revamped squad next week.

Lambert could make at least another two signings as he prepares for next season, with chairman Randy Lerner buying into his blueprint for the future.

Andreas Weimann and Nathan Baker have already signed new contracts in the last fortnight while £8 million forward Christian Benteke is considering a deal that will almost double his current salary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10118947/Stephen-Ireland-told-he-can-leave-Aston-Villa-by-manager-Paul-Lambert.html

I forgot he still played for us 

Sounds like he's been sacked - club must have good reason. Maybe he was the guy who failed the supposed drugs test. I wonder would the club take it any further if that is the case - like Chelsea did with Mutu.

Wasn't one of the VT posters pretty close to Ireland? Be interesting to hear his take on things.

GaztonVilla I think, who incidentally has been very quiet over the past 12-18 months unless I've missed his posts entirely........

Sounds like he's been sacked - club must have good reason. Maybe he was the guy who failed the supposed drugs test. I wonder would the club take it any further if that is the case - like Chelsea did with Mutu.

Wasn't one of the VT posters pretty close to Ireland? Be interesting to hear his take on things.

GaztonVilla I think, who incidentally has been very quiet over the past 12-18 months unless I've missed his posts entirely........

GaztonVilla - wrote a very heartfelt post in a new thread he created basically saying how he has grown to hate football and has decided to no longer be an Aston Villa supporter.

It was all a bit weird and emotional - not posted since.

• 2 weeks later...
Â