Stephen Ireland

omariqy

If I was paid 50k a week for as long as Ireland has, I'd buy a much bigger fish tank that that to be honest.

I'd probably just buy a swimming pool and put a Great White in it.

One of the naked virgin housegirls could look after it when she's done separating out the Smarties.

• Like 2

OH MY GOD. Are people still complaining about Ireland getting Player of the Year the year before last? It was awarded based on player ratings given BY VILLA FANS on the OS.

He WAS our best player that season. That doesn't mean he was immense. I don't know if anyone remembers but we were absolutely horrendous at the time.

He's clearly a superb footballer, I refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with that. Having said that I'd obviously like to see him move on to make room in the squad and on the wage bill for younger, fresher players. For whatever reason he hasn't done enough for us, but as previous posters have mentioned it's certainly not down to his work-rate which by all accounts is outstanding.

From what I can tell he's a decent guy, if a little strange. But that's the nature of the game, footballers seem to be so obsessed with public perception. When someone comes along who's irreverent and doesn't play the game, he's cast as a headcase.

I for one hope he finds an alright club.

• Like 1

OH MY GOD. Are people still complaining about Ireland getting Player of the Year the year before last? It was awarded based on player ratings given BY VILLA FANS on the OS.

He WAS our best player that season. That doesn't mean he was immense. I don't know if anyone remembers but we were absolutely horrendous at the time.

He's clearly a superb footballer, I refuse to listen to anyone who disagrees with that. Having said that I'd obviously like to see him move on to make room in the squad and on the wage bill for younger, fresher players. For whatever reason he hasn't done enough for us, but as previous posters have mentioned it's certainly not down to his work-rate which by all accounts is outstanding.

From what I can tell he's a decent guy, if a little strange. But that's the nature of the game, footballers seem to be so obsessed with public perception. When someone comes along who's irreverent and doesn't play the game, he's cast as a headcase.

I think I pretty much disagree with all of that, but as I've been awarded my first warning point that's all I will say on the matter.

None of them have done anything wrong TBF

Perhaps they havent but they are on crazy wages. Basically what Villa are trying to do is move them on and make them attractive to other clubs. If they are desperate to leave they may accept lower wages. No club will take them on wages they currently get.

So yes it may not be nice but its a means to an end

Who's fault is it other than Villa's that they're on such wages? I wish they'd be shown a little bit more respect in the club's attempt to correct its mistakes.

Edited by Keyblade

If I was paid 50k a week for as long as Ireland has, I'd buy a much bigger fish tank that that to be honest.

Ireland is paid 78k a week. So he could really buy an olympic sized swimming pool for those fish, really.

What worries me more is the pool table with his surname on it. Hallmark of a tosser, that.

Thats before you even consider the 4x4 he has with the pink hubcaps.

I'm afraid I think he'll be here til his contract expires. We could get him to mow the grass on the training pitches I suppose....

Ireland is paid 78k a week. So he could really buy an olympic sized swimming pool for those fish, really.

What worries me more is the pool table with his surname on it. Hallmark of a tosser, that.

Thats before you even consider the 4x4 he has with the pink hubcaps.

I'm afraid I think he'll be here til his contract expires. We could get him to mow the grass on the training pitches I suppose....

He's a tosser because he spends the money he earns how he wants to? People are really reaching for negativity on here aren't they? Do remember he is also IRISH.

I hate the argument that he's a tosser because of the things he buys. If I was earning 78k a week, I would also buy ridiculously flamboyant things, just because I could.

Why have all that money and not have a bit of fun with it?

Too passive for me.

I agree. I don't think his work rate was actually all that bad, I think his languid style of running might make him seem like he's not trying though.

My biggest problem with him is that when you watch him, there's plenty of nice one touch layoffs and short passes but he's never really grabs a game by the scruff of the neck and takes responsibility. I think it's a mental thing with him more than anything physical

Too passive for me.

I agree. I don't think his work rate was actually all that bad, I think his languid style of running might make him seem like he's not trying though.

My biggest problem with him is that when you watch him, there's plenty of nice one touch layoffs and short passes but he's never really grabs a game by the scruff of the neck and takes responsibility. I think it's a mental thing with him more than anything physical

Agreed with this. It's a shame really, as he could've been a real asset had he done this. I would've thought Lambert would be the man to get that out of him, but I guess not.

I don't much care what Ireland buys with his money, or that by my standards he has horrible taste not dissimilar to that of a gypsy.

What I do care about is that we have wasted millions on a player that we should never have signed and that we pay him something in the region of £70k a week and we get next to nothing in return.

I don't think he has a particularly bad attitude, we've certainly had worse in that regard and perhaps even still do but he has been a terrible signing almost from day one.

His meaningless and frankly unfathomable player of the year award does nothing to convince me he has ever been any good in our colours. What is more I'm not even convinced he was even any good while at Man City he was just fortunate enough to play alongside a couple of extremely talented Brazilians who made him look better than he is/was.

To describe him as being "clearly a superb footballer" is, to me at least, entirely without foundation. He has done nothing to deserve such praise or such a label.

There is a reason why nobody else seemingly wants him and it isn't just the money and it isn't that he is trouble, it is just quite simply that he isn't all that good.

• Like 1

Too passive for me.

Agreed with this. It's a shame really, as he could've been a real asset had he done this. I would've thought Lambert would be the man to get that out of him, but I guess not.

I've said this before but he is the only supposedly attacking midfielder I have ever seen who never ever runs with the ball at his feet.

He gets and gives which is all well and good but he never takes responsibility for making things happen.

His skills can work when surrounded by class players but he is not the guy a team can look to, to be that creator.

I don't much care what Ireland buys with his money, or that by my standards he has horrible taste not dissimilar to that of a gypsy.

What I do care about is that we have wasted millions on a player that we should never have signed and that we pay him something in the region of £70k a week and we get next to nothing in return.

I don't think he has a particularly bad attitude, we've certainly had worse in that regard and perhaps even still do but he has been a terrible signing almost from day one.

His meaningless and frankly unfathomable player of the year award does nothing to convince me he has ever been any good in our colours. What is more I'm not even convinced he was even any good while at Man City he was just fortunate enough to play alongside a couple of extremely talented Brazilians who made him look better than he is/was.

To describe him as being "clearly a superb footballer" is, to me at least, entirely without foundation. He has done nothing to deserve such praise or such a label.

There is a reason why nobody else seemingly wants him and it isn't just the money and it isn't that he is trouble, it is just quite simply that he isn't all that good.

While it is off topic and i apologise for that, you have made a generalisation about a group of people Trent which in my experience cannot always deemed to be true. 

I think I pretty much disagree with all of that, but as I've been awarded my first warning point that's all I will say on the matter.

If you can't discuss without the risc of getting a warning point, your argument must be rather poor.Or rather, you don't have one at all. 

He hasn't played well enough on the pitch. How many assists? Not many. How many goals? Not many. The player of the season award was a bit of a joke, should have gone to Gabby or Bent, goals and assists aplenty.

His attitude has to be questioned too, as he seems to rub managers up the wrong way all the time, and fall out of favour. His decision making has been appalling, all throughout his career, shooting his mouth off at clubs and people that he works for/with, and funnily enough he's always the victim. What's up now Ireland? You being bullied? disrespected? the manager wont give you a chance? you're not given enough help? you had to travel second class? the city you play in isn't very nice and you hate living near there?

We clearly have different definitions of what a "superb footballer" is. I'm talking about the type of player you see play and you know straight away that he's class. Players with perfect technique.

Maybe in your opinion "superb footballers" are players who achieve great things at the highest level.

That doesn't bother me so much, it's the fact he's paid to have a whole country named after him that makes him a big head...at least I think that's what's happened...

He's a tosser because he spends the money he earns how he wants to? People are really reaching for negativity on here aren't they? Do remember he is also IRISH.

What has the fact that's he's Irish got to do with ANYTHING?

I'm guessing he means the pool table with "Ireland" emblazoned on it ;)

Horrendously garish but yeah, completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

We clearly have different definitions of what a "superb footballer" is. I'm talking about the type of player you see play and you know straight away that he's class. Players with perfect technique.

Maybe in your opinion "superb footballers" are players who achieve great things at the highest level.

No we don't, we just have different views about Stephen Ireland.

Â