Stephen Ireland

omariqy

Thought he'd step up under Lambert. Oh boy was I wrong.

Yes - he was given the opportunity to step up too. It's not as if he was overlooked from the beginning.

Another 'gifted' player who cannot bring himself to work hard for his money and push himself to improve.

Waste of time and money IMO.

Tw@tter rumours linking him with 'Boro - a championship team...... that's what happens when you can't be arsed.

He gets so much undeserved abuse here it's unreal. Sure his wages are too high and he needs to go as a result and he has never really lived up to expectations, but he never struck me as a player who just wanted to collect his pay check and didn't care about the football as is being made out constantly around here. It wasn't his fault he was on extortionate wages at City that carried over here. He's always been described as a player who works hard in training and despite his seemingly lethargic style of play this translated over to match days as well. And as for the revisionism as to why he won the player of the season award 2 seasons ago, I don't know what to say to that, it sure as hell wasn't a fluke. I'm sure the comments in this thread from that time would reflect that too.

Was it really his fault he was indefinitely dropped by Lambert even after putting in (relatively) good performances (Reading substitute appearance, and Bradford match come to mind)? No, but somehow that becomes another stick to beat him with. As mentioned by someone earlier, we can't try to hound him out of this club and at the same time go on about loyalty when it comes to Benteke.

• Like 3

I've never even thought he was gifted to be honest, he looked good for a short spell of time playing with Robinho and Elano and that is it. There has never been any other time when he has produced anything.

Him and N'Zogbia are often accused of not making the most of their talents, of being lazy etc. For me the truth is they've more than made the most of the ability they each have, in fact it is remarkable that they've carved out the livings that they have when neither is actually particularly good.

And to think due a idiot manager signing one and a dumb chairman the other we are spunking over £100k a week on these pair of idiots.

Strange to put N'Zogbia in this bracket. Granted he isn't amazing but he seems to be in Lambert's plans (would be in Germany but for injury), and Lambert seems to be a man to seriously trust when it comes to judging a player. Particualrly a player's commitment. 

He gets so much undeserved abuse here it's unreal. Sure his wages are too high and he needs to go as a result and he has never really lived up to expectations, but he never struck me as a player who just wanted to collect his pay check and didn't care about the football as is being made out constantly around here. It wasn't his fault he was on extortionate wages at City that carried over here. He's always been described as a player who works hard in training and despite his seemingly lethargic style of play this translated over to match days as well. And as for the revisionism as to why he won the player of the season award 2 seasons ago, I don't know what to say to that, it sure as hell wasn't a fluke. I'm sure the comments in this thread from that time would reflect that too.

Was it really his fault he was indefinitely dropped by Lambert even after putting in (relatively) good performances (Reading substitute appearance, and Bradford match come to mind)? No, but somehow that becomes another stick to beat him with. As mentioned by someone earlier, we can't try to hound him out of this club and at the same time go on about loyalty when it comes to Benteke.

You must have been one of those six people who voted for him as Supporters Player of the Season whilst everyone else was in bed....Jesus wept...this pikey no mark has never been a footballer....ever

Hope we use a small amount of the Benteke money to get rid of him. He demanded 2 million to leave City, half of that and that should be enough to send him packing, hopefully. Don't want us paying any of his wages next season.

Personally I would prefer ALL that money to be re-invested into the squad and not be used on people like Ireland.

Hope we use a small amount of the Benteke money to get rid of him. He demanded 2 million to leave City, half of that and that should be enough to send him packing, hopefully. Don't want us paying any of his wages next season.

Personally I would prefer ALL that money to be re-invested into the squad and not be used on people like Ireland.

Why? Say he doesn't get signed he would be on the books until next year taking home £3.1 million from us. Offer him a million out of the 25 we'd hopefully get from Benteke, not really a big deal. 

Why? Say he doesn't get signed he would be on the books until next year taking home £3.1 million from us. Offer him a million out of the 25 we'd hopefully get from Benteke, not really a big deal. 

I know what your saying, but for me, it would be wasting it. Remember, its not Irelands fault his earning what he is, that's down to the muppets who agreed to sanction it in the first place.Besides, im not convinced that Benteke will be leaving, so we should just pay Ireland off in anycase.

Im a strong believer that funds raised from player sales, go directly back into the squad.

Why would he accept that? When he left city he was getting that £2m plus the wages from us.. Why would he take £1m, when he is guaranteed £3m to stay here, and has no options on the table.. I don't like it, but he would have to be twice as mental as we think to accept £1m

Pound for pound the worst Villa signing ever.

What about Bosko Taliban? Signed for 6m. Adjust for inflation and that's 8-9m now.

Going OT I know, but never worked out why Bosko never got a look-in with us. Scored bucket loads before, whilst on-loan and after the Villa.

Bosko Balaban, what happened next

Anyway, I agree that Ireland won't, nor should he have to, take a reduced pay-off from his contract. As I said before, we can't rightly piss and moan about Benteke wanting to leave yet, in the same breath, get the hump because Ireland may wish to 'honour' his contract.

Dem's da breaks, innit!

Edited by StanBalaban

Paying him off, he'll want more than his remaining contract being paid off to go, so its better we don't pay him off and just keep him to clean the toilets or clean players boots or something. We can say whatever we like about Given or Bent, at least they want to kick the ball, I honestly believe this kid doesn't give a crap whether he plays again or not.

Â