Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Preferably for another club

why? that doesn't make sense 

i dont like gabby playing because i think he's shit (not anti-gabby or anything just dont rate him anymore) but if he scored 20 goals that would suggest he's not shit in which case i wouldnt care

• Like 3

Gabby would need to drop down 2 or 3 divisions to have a chance at scoring 20 goals in a season.

And even then he needs to stay fit, avoid injuries and hold down a starting position for 46 or so games for it to happen.

If he does all that and they let him take any penalty kicks, it might happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BOF said:

As of today it has taken Gabby precisely 1,580 days to score his previous 20 goals in all competitions for this club.  If he scores 20 next season I'll eat my own nose.

But, but, he was playing on the wing for most of that ;)

Joking aside, thats terrible however you look at it. I've not got the inclination go and check, but i bet there are a few defenders that have scored more goals in the same time span. 

The bloke has been mugging us off for years. 

You can't knock the guy for trying to get fit though. 

Yes he's not a great footballer.

Yes there have been times when he has treated his club like shit and taken advantage of us.

But, if  (a big if admittedly), he can get himself fit and stay that way, he will cause problems to the opposition next season which will only be a good thing to our promotion push.

24 minutes ago, BOF said:

I disagree. Even in a best case Gabby scenario where he's always available and back to whatever level a 30/31 year old Gabby can be at, for me it means he gets in the way of the likes of RHM and Davis who I believe would be more beneficial to us over the course of a season. Except for maybe the 2 fixtures against the unwashed. So for me he's in the way. 

I agree entirely about Davis and RHM, they should definitely be ahead of Gabby. But with Kodjia likely to be out (or at least fully firing) until January, it being unknown how McCormack will return and limited (supposedly) transfer funds, we'd be stupid not to utilise Gabby if fit. Although very limited, he did show when fit this season, blues and Ipswich (I think it was) that he can be effective at this level.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

As of today it has taken Gabby precisely 1,580 days to score his previous 20 goals in all competitions for this club.  If he scores 20 next season I'll eat my own nose.

And I will pick your bogies out first and then eat them so you don't have to. 

It ain't going to happen. 

Might as well talk about how we would feel if Pongo Waring scored 20 for us next season. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

And I will pick your bogies out first and then eat them so you don't have to. 

It ain't going to happen. 

Might as well talk about how we would feel if Pongo Waring scored 20 for us next season. 

I would feel he must have missed a lot of games through injury ;). Pongo scored 159 goals in 216 league games for us so I would back him to get 30 minimum.  

13 hours ago, BOF said:

photo_3002001_thumb.jpg

@BOF at the end of next season.

:trollface:

• Like 2

Looking at his recent Instagram pics he looks in great shape and getting quickly back into training after a short break will do him no harm at all.

After losing his head and a couple of years of not giving a toss he seems to have got his hunger back. Perhaps the reality of getting older and having a limited time left in the game has finally made the penny drop that the older you get the harder you have to work to be in shape.

He did enough last season to show that he can be effective and make an impact at this level even if it is just coming off the bench. I think he’ll have a part to play next season and it will be dependent on injuries how big a part that is. If he can stay fit though I can see him getting a fair amount of game time.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

He did enough last season to show that he can be effective

Please define 'enough' because you probably hold a similar view to others on here who are pro having the Gabster back in the fold and I'd like to understand the thinking. Oh and please don't feel constrained by any need to preface what you say with any 'if he stays fit or doesn't eat kebabs' style disclaimers, we get that it's a punt. I'm interested in the 'enough' he has shown in your eyes. 

22 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Please define 'enough' because you probably hold a similar view to others on here who are pro having the Gabster back in the fold and I'd like to understand the thinking. Oh and please don't feel constrained by any need to preface what you say with any 'if he stays fit or doesn't eat kebabs' style disclaimers, we get that it's a punt. I'm interested in the 'enough' he has shown in your eyes. 

I am picking games out of the air now thinking back but I thought certainly in a number of games from the bench he changed the tempo of games for us when he came on. Against Cardiff away we were absolutely diabolical until he came on and by getting stuck in, getting a number of shots off and putting himself about he lifted the whole team. He made a similar impact against Sha.

He also played very well when he started games against Preston and Brighton.

In terms of what he offers I think for what we have in the squad at the moment he is the best at holding the ball up. Physically he is certainly the strongest forward we have and the hardest to knock off the ball. He is also more than capable of running the channels and probably in a two would be the best player to play alongside Hogan or McCormack as he can hold the ball up and play others in. He still at this level looks quicker than most defenders as well so his pace is still a very useful asset.

Of course as is always the case with Gabby then goals are the issue. I am one of those that thinks his overall record of a goal every 4 games isn’t bad given he has played over half those games as a wide forward. His recent record is dire though but I think in the Championship he is capable if he can stay relatively injury free of getting 8-10 goals over a season as I’d expect he will start a number of games and contribute in many from the bench.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

In terms of what he offers I think for what we have in the squad at the moment he is the best at holding the ball up.

This might be true, but it doesn't mean he's actually good at holding the ball up. Fwiw I think he's quite terrible at it, and always has been. His 'game, has always been about pace, and now that that's more or less gone, I don't really see what he offers anymore. For me he'd be a 4th or 5th choice option from the bench, at best. Would rather see we utilize the youth. 

• Like 3

Â