Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Looking at his recent Instagram pics he looks in great shape and getting quickly back into training after a short break will do him no harm at all.

After losing his head and a couple of years of not giving a toss he seems to have got his hunger back. Perhaps the reality of getting older and having a limited time left in the game has finally made the penny drop that the older you get the harder you have to work to be in shape.

He did enough last season to show that he can be effective and make an impact at this level even if it is just coming off the bench. I think he’ll have a part to play next season and it will be dependent on injuries how big a part that is. If he can stay fit though I can see him getting a fair amount of game time.

Agreed, even seems to be making an effot not to do anything which could be seen as inflammatory on social media. lol.

People grow up.

I can say from experience as at a certain point in my life I was a prize pissed up, high, irresponsible clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

I was being slightly facetious in my 20 goal comment but seriously, it can only be good to see him knuckling down. He is on a hell of a wage for another 12 months and he isn't going anywhere. We can only hope he is determined to make the most of what he has left.

• Like 3

On 18/05/2017 at 19:31, av1 said:

But, but, he was playing on the wing for most of that ;)

Joking aside, thats terrible however you look at it. I've not got the inclination go and check, but i bet there are a few defenders that have scored more goals in the same time span. 

The bloke has been mugging us off for years. 

Lescott was prolific in centre back terms whilst at Everton 

If he gets himself fully fit he is easily capable of scoring 20 goals in this league but I can't see it happening under Steve Bruce. He needs a motivational manager which Steve Bruce isn't.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

If he gets himself fully fit he is easily capable of scoring 20 goals in this league but I can't see it happening under Steve Bruce. He needs a motivational manager which Steve Bruce isn't.

I would honestly question his ability to score 20 goals in any division - he might well get himself super fit ( part of his job description I venture to add) however as a footballer ?

as for Bruce he's bent over backwards for him imo 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

To be fair, Steve Bruce has done nothing but praise him and try to include him, even to the anger of some fans, so i'm not sure what you mean.

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

If he gets himself fully fit he is easily capable of scoring 20 goals in this league 

Do you still think our best front 2 is Gabby and Kozak?

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

I would honestly question his ability to score 20 goals in any division - he might well get himself super fit ( part of his job description I venture to add) however as a footballer ?

as for Bruce he's bent over backwards for him imo 

He's shown what he can do at this level in patches this season playing well below full fitness.

Bruce has handled him well but I just don't think he's the type of manager who will be able to get the best out of him regularly.

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, Steve Bruce has done nothing but praise him and try to include him, even to the anger of some fans, so i'm not sure what you mean.

Giving a player an opportunity and support is one thing but getting a performance out of them is another. It's not really a criticism of Gabby as I don't think Bruce is getting the best out of most of our players. But Gabby in particular needs a manager like that and I don't think Steve Bruce is that manager.

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, av1 said:

Do you still think our best front 2 is Gabby and Kozak?

Kozak doesn't play for us anymore.

Do you still think Ciaran Clark is "absolutely shocking" or "under Bruce we will at least make the playoffs"?

Edited by Michael118
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Kozak doesn't play for us anymore.

Do you still think Ciaran Clark is "absolutely shocking" or "under Bruce we will at least make the playoffs"?

Ciaran Clark is rubbish, and next season he will look like the same mug he looked for us in the PL.

This squad should at least make the playoffs. My opinion of Bruce has changed considerably from what it was a few months back. 

22 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

Giving a player an opportunity and support is one thing but getting a performance out of them is another. It's not really a criticism of Gabby as I don't think Bruce is getting the best out of most of our players. But Gabby in particular needs a manager like that and I don't think Steve Bruce is that manager.

The last couple of managers struggled to get him out of the chip shop let alone on the pitch. 

You aren't going to get anymore out of Gabby than Bruce is already getting. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Ciaran Clark is rubbish, and next season he will look like the same mug he looked for us in the PL.

Won't happen. If they back him in as they should he will kick on as he would have for us if we had any faith in him.

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

The last couple of managers struggled to get him out of the chip shop let alone on the pitch. 

You aren't going to get anymore out of Gabby than Bruce is already getting. 

Says something about those managers don't you think?

I'd be confident of Gabby reaching 20 goals if we were managed by Allardyce or Pulis. But Bruce? No.

13 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I'd be confident of Gabby reaching 20 goals

How could anyone be confident of that? There's absolutely no evidence to support that opinion and plenty of contrary evidence.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael118 said:

I'd be confident of Gabby reaching 20 goals if we were managed by Allardyce or Pulis. But Bruce? No.

On what basis do you think he is capable of scoring 20 goals a season - he is not a natural goal scorer so regardless of the division he plays in will struggle to find the back of the net imo - I think his best yield was 15 some years back  - not exactly statistics that inspire - would you say?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

How could anyone be confident of that? There's absolutely no evidence to support that opinion and plenty of contrary evidence.

I totally agree - I can't see him scoring 10 goals in two separate games.

2 hours ago, Michael118 said:

No one player has scored 20 goals in a season under either Pulis or Allardyce in their entire careers as managers throughout English football. How deluded do you have to be to think Agbonlahor would be the man to change that???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

This squad should at least make the playoffs. My opinion of Bruce has changed considerably from what it was a few months back. 

Sorry AV1, but as much as you are trying to prove your point, this is a horrendous argument.

He just finished as player of the season for the winners of the Championship.

Even if he, as you say (Will look like the rubbish he is) in the Premier League (Which I don't believe) the argument is not justified as WE just finished 13th in the Championship.

Would suggest that type of "rubbish" could have helped us a whole deal.

This is probably even worse than the arguments already predicting what a load of shite Kodjia will be in the Premier League (FYI I also made this argument), which even if true, currently holds no weight because we are in the Championship! This is where we compete!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sorry AV1, but as much as you are trying to prove your point, this is a horrendous argument.

He just finished as player of the season for the winners of the Championship.

Even if he, as you say (Will look like the rubbish he is) in the Premier League (Which I don't believe) the argument is not justified as WE just finished 13th in the Championship.

Would suggest that type of "rubbish" could have helped us a whole deal.

To be honest JV i don't watch an awful lot of football that doesn't involve Villa, so i can't really comment on his performances for Newcastle, so my comment is based entirely on his time with us, and I stand by my comment that for us he was rubbish. 

Him and Baker imo formed the worst center half pairing i have ever seen at VP, at times it was truly comical. Now Baker himself hasn't looked completely out of his depth this season, leading some to talk about the huge improvement he has made. Like Clark, i suspect that the "improvement" is down to both having found their level. 

Both are way out of their depth in the PL. 

Â