Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Still not a popular opinion I know but I think he has played well under Bruce for the main part and it was unfortunate that the hamstring injury came when it did.

I shook my grudge off a while ago so I'd be all for giving him a 1 year deal on (hopefully) relevant wages. I don't say that as a sympathiser, but as somebody who thinks it would benefit Aston Villa. 

was the first thing Bruce did was bring him back and it could have backfired but think Gabby has been more positive influence in games he has been involved

I think a new contract will be offered if he earns it on the pitch next season. last year of contract as well will be a motivation as well

42 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Changes nothing for me. We need to be looking forward and it shouldn't include Gabby - we needed him last season and this season too.

Well, in his performance before the derby he was brilliant, then got injured. Came back yesterday and scored the winner.

So not too sure what you are getting at.

Anyway he is in the last year of his contract, so again, not sure what the point is of not utilising him for it if he can be an asset, which, especially at this level, he clearly still can be.

• Like 2

Thinking back he also changed the course of the game at The Sty. I seem to recall we were under the cosh somewhat and when he came on he caused a bit of bother and they retreated. Changed a potential loss into a draw. 

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 23:08, DK82 said:

Was just going to post this...

8vnr6e.png

:crylaugh:

Invisible dick claims another surprised victim.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Thinking back he also changed the course of the game at The Sty. I seem to recall we were under the cosh somewhat and when he came on he caused a bit of bother and they retreated. Changed a potential loss into a draw. 

Although we were drawing at the time, unless they went 2-1 up and then had it deducted? A new rule perhaps, or clutching at straws to praise a player. 

6 hours ago, DK82 said:

Although we were drawing at the time, unless they went 2-1 up and then had it deducted? A new rule perhaps, or clutching at straws to praise a player. 

Where did I say we were definitely going to lose? I just said his introduction eased the pressure we were under. If you read back through these pages you will a) see evidence of that from the comments around the time of the Blues away game and b.) see the virtiol I myself have spouted about him, I need no reason to unnecessarily praise a player. I'm just drawing comparisons to the effect he has had on both games. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

No one is going to buy him and pay the wages he is currently earning at Villa... therefore he won't be moving until his contract expires.

If we are going to be paying his wages for another season then we might as well use him when required. As an impact player in the last 20/30 minutes of games in the Championship he has proved he can make a difference.

As a first team starter we should be looking at the players we already have or bring others in...

Take nothing away from him though he completely changed the game on Sunday.

• Like 2

I'm a big Gabby fan - although obviously a disappointed one over the past couple of years.

I'm pleased that Steve Bruce has kept faith in him, has got him back in shape, and has shown he can have a good influence on matches (Preston and Scum). I think it is a waste of energy to bang on about his past indiscretions and perceived slights to the club and fans. If he can do a job on the pitch, fine by me.

But I do worry about his level of injuries. He seems to have been incapacitated for quite a lot of the Bruce-inspired "comeback". Just wonder if Bruce has got to him too late and we won't see much active service from him in his final year because his body is giving out?

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

If we were paying him £10k/week as a backup striker, maybe, but for £70K/week (reported) we can get so much more effective players. 

Nobody is suggesting we should ever give him much more than that now, £10-20k for a useful weapon on the bench? Even starting with Kodjia. Sure I'd be in, if he can continue as he has done. 

He's already on the wage he's on right now, there's nothing we can do about that. Nobody will take him, he doesn't want to go and the manager likes him. 

If we could shift him then I think we probably would. However we need to honour the contract we gave him, even if he hadn't always done the same. That moment has passed. 

• Like 2

He hasn't been playing as a striker for years, and before somebody starts an argument, I think he has played well under Steve Bruce, and done what is required of him on the left hand side of midfield. I am happy for him and Aston Villa.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well, in his performance before the derby he was brilliant, then got injured. Came back yesterday and scored the winner.

So not too sure what you are getting at.

Anyway he is in the last year of his contract, so again, not sure what the point is of not utilising him for it if he can be an asset, which, especially at this level, he clearly still can be.

Agreed. His attitude lately has been spot on, and he'll be an asset for us next season. I don't get the Gabby bashing from some Villa fans, yeah he's made mistakes but he was a symptom of the disgraceful way this club was run for 7 years. Those days are behind us now and everyone has a clean slate, including Agbonlahor. It'd be daft to get rid now just when he's started to turn things around. Also I think the vast majority of Villa fans are behind him anyway. The welcome he got against Small Heath I think proved that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

The goal - yes, he was in the right place at the right time (you could argue that is the job of a striker), but the goal was mostly luck, that ball could have gone anywhere and on most other occasions would not have fallen to a striker for a tap in, so there was a large amount of luck involved, the goal was not due to any particular skill or stroke of genius. 

Harry, is that you? ;)

• Like 2

If he can stay fit then I have warmed to the idea of his presence, not based on that goal but more down to when he has played under Bruce he's worked hard, and actually been a pain for teams. Just hope he has a productive summer and doesn't pull any stunts. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

If he can stay fit then I have warmed to the idea of his presence, not based on that goal but more down to when he has played under Bruce he's worked hard, and actually been a pain for teams. Just hope he has a productive summer and doesn't pull any stunts. 

The only stunts he'll be pulling will be slappers in a deluge of Kebabs, pipes and Beer.

(Bruce in the background whipping him on "go on son, loads o' garlic, suck it all the way in, deeper, now wash it all down your neck then spray what you got all over the place")

Â