Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

It does make sense to keep him around next year.

At this stage of his career he knows he hasn't got the energy (or form) to be a consistent week in week out player so he's already on our payroll, can be back up to Kodjia and Hogan, showed yesterday when he's on it he's a good impact sub so more reliable than McCormack if he comes back.

I just objected to just offering him a new deal like we did in 2014 for very little. Make him work for one properly for once next season.

It all depends on the finances and whether he wants to give something back. There is no doubt this guy has a set of balls, isn't afraid to stand up to people and has influence. It is just a shame he has used these powers for evil up until now. If he plays like he did Saturday, even if his pace has gone then he will be an asset. I know even from power league football the boost you can get by seeing someone put everything into the performance. When you see someone show that much work rate, passion and commitment you can just feed off it.

One thing we know is he is a family man, he does not ant to leave the city and probably never will. There is nowhere for him to go really that can compete  with this club. We hold all the cards here, we can dictate his salary and the deal we offer (IMO)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

That goal puts him into our top 20 of all-time.  With 86 goals he's now level with Tony Hateley & Dicky York.  Next on the list, Bomber Brown & Dennis Hodgetts on 89.

It's also the 12th season he has scored for Villa.  Only 3 men have more than that.  Just some blokes called Joe Bache (15), Johnny Dixon (14) & Billy Walker (14).

That's about 7 goals a season then. One of our greats!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer. We have to do whats best for us!

I don't want us to blow more money on forwards who don't fit into our style of play. McCormack has been a disaster and Hogan needs to shape up quickly otherwise he'll go the same way.

Gabby isn't cheap but he's here anyway so rather than than spending 12m on another forward we convince ourselves is brilliant but isn't.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I don't want us to blow more money on forwards who don't fit into our style of play. McCormack has been a disaster and Hogan needs to shape up quickly otherwise he'll go the same way.

Gabby isn't cheap but he's here anyway so rather than than spending 12m on another forward we convince ourselves is brilliant but isn't.

I am yet to be convinced that the Gabby will ever be a 10/12 goal a season man ever again which is why we should let him go. If MCormack can get his head sorted he's a 20 goal a season man but that wont be under Bruce's management. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I am yet to be convinced that the Gabby will ever be a 10/12 goal a season man ever again which is why we should let him go..

No-one will convince me he will ever get near that number again.  He has done it once in the 7 seasons since the 09/10 season and that was 12 goals in 12/13.  He has now scored a total of 12 goals in the past 4 seasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

No-one will convince me he will ever get near that number again.  He has done it once in the 7 seasons since the 09/10 season and that was 12 goals in 12/13.  He has now scored a total of 12 goals in the past 4 seasons.

How many cards has he had in the same period? :) 

Thanks for yesterday Gabby, you certainly changed the game from one of the worst I've ever seen to one slightly better. In the derby it is the result that matters and I'm still a little hoarse, though not from singing for Gabby (hypocrisy doesn't sit well with me you see). 

He can waltz off into the nearest shisha cafe now and not be seen again for all I care about him and as for giving him any sort of contract - WHY?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought the verbal dig from Harry , whilst funny , was also very much to the point. 

And how right he was, when upon seeing Gary Shaw , shook his hand with the greeting: " A proper fecking player " hear , hear Harry .

Can you elaborate please because this means absolutely nothing to me. Where has harry said any of this? What verbal dig?

Still not a popular opinion I know but I think he has played well under Bruce for the main part and it was unfortunate that the hamstring injury came when it did.

I shook my grudge off a while ago so I'd be all for giving him a 1 year deal on (hopefully) relevant wages. I don't say that as a sympathiser, but as somebody who thinks it would benefit Aston Villa. 

• Like 2

On 4/23/2017 at 15:26, Demitri_C said:

"I think redknapps realised we are shit"

Deflects the shit off them......he is a past master.;)....very clever.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Still not a popular opinion I know but I think he has played well under Bruce for the main part and it was unfortunate that the hamstring injury came when it did.

I shook my grudge off a while ago so I'd be all for giving him a 1 year deal on (hopefully) relevant wages. I don't say that as a sympathiser, but as somebody who thinks it would benefit Aston Villa. 

Dave opinions are not set in tablets of stone......you are entitled to change them if you wish.

Â