Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He probably should get one for the early years

But recent years ? Look most people here are aware that I rate him as a very poor professional footballer imo - this aside do you honestly feel that his conduct on/off the pitch in recent years merits a testimonial ? 

Again I'm not being funny or having a go - far from just curious 

48 minutes ago, Dave J said:

But recent years ? Look most people here are aware that I rate him as a very poor professional footballer imo - this aside do you honestly feel that his conduct on/off the pitch in recent years merits a testimonial ? 

Again I'm not being funny or having a go - far from just curious 

His last few years absolutely not. But the years before he was very good in patches. The days of when we had Carew and young they brought out best of him. Then it started falling apart when houllier came in, then he clicked again under lambert for abut getting his deal then he became a prick.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

His last few years absolutely not. But the years before he was very good in patches. The days of when we had Carew and young they brought out best of him. Then it started falling apart when houllier came in, then he clicked again under lambert for abut getting his deal then he became a prick.

Yes I agree with a lot of what you say - Houllier saw right through him and would have shipped him out in my view.

i suppose you won't be surprised if I say - I for one will not be attending any testimonial.

Cheers !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You see how that went for the guy who made a similar bet about Terry right?

I can't wait to see your arse.

EDIT: That sounded so wrong. :ph34r:

You do know that's why I posted it right? ;)

If you wanna see my arse you better buy me dinner first. KFC is acceptable. :wub:

Honestly - this is Gabby we are talking about. 20 goals..... yeah, OK.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2017 at 23:43, Zatman said:

scored tonight :)  

last year of contract and think he could be an interesting wild card for that alone

He was also captain. I think he'll play quite a big part this season and would not be surprised if Kodjia is out if he started the first game up top with Hogan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

He was also captain. I think he'll play quite a big part this season and would not be surprised if Kodjia is out if he started the first game up top with Hogan.

I can't put into words how strongly I hope you are wrong about this.

Depending on the line up we have at least 5 other players I would hope we're way ahead of him in the queue.

I accept the team is short on pace - his only real asset - but his performance for fifteen minutes against Blues was for me a brilliant demonstration of what he could, should, and definitely doesn't, do when he plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I can't put into words how strongly I hope you are wrong about this.

Depending on the line up we have at least 5 other players I would hope we're way ahead of him in the queue.

I accept the team is short on pace - his only real asset - but his performance for fifteen minutes against Blues was for me a brilliant demonstration of what he could, should, and definitely doesn't, do when he plays.

I know many people won’t have wanted to read what I have put and won’t be happy if he does start the game.

I think Bruce likes him though.

There is no doubt before Bruce arrived he had let himself go and had been a disgrace in terms of his attitude and off field antics. Since Bruce arrived though he has clearly knuckled down and last season managed to do the minimum you’d expect from a professional footballer and got himslef into shape. He then when he did play made a positive contribution in a number of games.

Over the summer he has again worked hard on his fitness it seems and come back for pre season appearing to look in very good shape. I’d imagine if he continues along the same path he will be very much in the managers thoughts come the first game. Beyond that it will depend if he can make a positive contribution in games as to how much he will play next season but I would not be surprised to see him get a fair bit of game time.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I know many people won’t have wanted to read what I have put and won’t be happy if he does start the game.

I think Bruce likes him though.

There is no doubt before Bruce arrived he had let himself go and had been a disgrace in terms of his attitude and off field antics. Since Bruce arrived though he has clearly knuckled down and last season managed to do the minimum you’d expect from a professional footballer and got himslef into shape. He then when he did play made a positive contribution in a number of games.

Over the summer he has again worked hard on his fitness it seems and come back for pre season appearing to look in very good shape. I’d imagine  if he continues along the same path he will be very much in the managers thoughts come the first game. Beyond that it will depend if he can make a positive contribution in games as to how much he will play next season but I would not be surprised to see him get a fair bit of game time.

All of which are valid points, but miss the key issue that he is a shit footballer. He relied on pace. That pace is leaving him now and he has not adapted his game to make up for that.

Impact sub to run at tired defenders from 70 mins onwards, yes maybe he could do a job, but replacement for Kodjia good lord no. That has to be Hogan and McCormack. The reason I would go with McCormack over Gabby is that he does have a footballing brain, can see openings and use them. Gabby cannot.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I can't see this post going down well, but I'll be quite happy to see him play a part this season and be able to leave the club in June with his head held high, maybe having bagged a few goals. I think it would have been quite sad if he'd have left within the past few seasons, on a sour note and being hated by so many of us. He's got a chance to redeem himself a little here.

But I'm know I'm in the minority! :)

You say that mate but certainly at the games there is still a decent bit of support for him. Certainly it seems a minority that really dislike him.

It is all down to him though isn’t it. Bruce gave him a chance last season, off the back of him really knuckling down in training, and for me he took it as he did make a positive contribution in the brief appearances he made. It is down to him now to build on that. If he shows the same application and desire as he did last season then few will have legitimate complaints.

Ability wise despite him losing a bit of pace he is still capable of being a handful at this level as he has shown. In fact pace wise at this level he still seems quicker than most defenders.

• Like 2

Don't most players outside of the lower leagues donate the proceeds to charity these days? He's been a one club guy, through better and worse. I think he should get one and then hopefully donate the proceeds. He was linked with the likes of Utd when he was unplayable at times and never kicked up a fuss or suggested he wanted to move on. It'd be extremely fickle to ignore the good years and just use the last few to slap him about verbally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wezbid said:

Don't most players outside of the lower leagues donate the proceeds to charity these days? He's been a one club guy, through better and worse. I think he should get one and then hopefully donate the proceeds. He was linked with the likes of Utd when he was unplayable at times and never kicked up a fuss or suggested he wanted to move on. It'd be extremely fickle to ignore the good years and just use the last few to slap him about verbally. 

He has been unplayable more often than not of late.  

Despite rumours to the contrary Villa fans are not extremely fickle or even fickle when it comes to Gabby. Most of us choose not to ignore either his good games or his bad years. ;)

I for one will never give Gabby a fair chance after his conduct and use of eating utensils in the year we went down.   He was disgraceful.  IMO one of Bruce's greatest failings was giving him (and some others) a chance.  It reinforced the rotten attitude that refused to scrap and fight for every ball and every point.  It communicates   "You can be a lazy, useless, lump and it will all be ok.  You'll still get your check and more chances. ".  Not in my book.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

I for one will never give Gabby a fair chance after his conduct and use of eating utensils in the year we went down.   He was disgraceful.  IMO one of Bruce's greatest failings was giving him (and some others) a chance.  It reinforced the rotten attitude that refused to scrap and fight for every ball and every point.  It communicates   "You can be a lazy, useless, lump and it will all be ok.  You'll still get your check and more chances. ".  Not in my book.  

Jackie Chan WTF Meme | WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP? GET OVER IT! | image tagged in memes,jackie chan wtf | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

If that is true. it would say more about the other players than Bruce and Gabby.

I'm guessing Ross now being back in training communicates "You can not turn up to training, and say you couldn't get over the gates".???

If Amavi doesn't get sold, ends up staying, getting his head down and putting in performances does it say "You can be a prick, publicly state your intentions to leave, and all will be ok"

Will all the players start rioting and having piss ups at the training ground?

Over dramatic, far fetched, and beating a horse which has been dead for decades and is mummifying.

You just don't like the guy full stop, no need to stretch narratives. It's akin to the Media against Trump, they just don't like him so if he farts to the left it becomes a story of discrimination or racism.

This nonsense suggestion that a whole club and core are going to be devastated by the perceived "attitude" of 1 player several years ago who is human like they all are is total rubbish.

1g66pr.jpg

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jackie Chan WTF Meme | WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP? GET OVER IT! | image tagged in memes,jackie chan wtf | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

If that is true. it would say more about the other players than Bruce and Gabby.

I'm guessing Ross now being back in training communicates "You can not turn up to training, and say you couldn't get over the gates".???

If Amavi doesn't get sold, ends up staying, getting his head down and putting in performances does it say "You can be a prick, publicly state your intentions to leave, and all will be ok"

Will all the players start rioting and having piss ups at the training ground?

Over dramatic, far fetched, and beating a horse which has been dead for decades and is mummifying.

You just don't like the guy full stop, no need to stretch narratives. It's akin to the Media against Trump, they just don't like him so if he farts to the left it becomes a story of discrimination or racism.

This nonsense suggestion that a whole club and core are going to be devastated by the perceived "attitude" of 1 player several years ago who is human like they all are is total rubbish.

1g66pr.jpg

Well I agree with him JV!!

• Like 2

Â