Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

14 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Plus I had the text sent tonight while we were chatting about the game, I don't see how the timescale is important?

Because I think fanning the flames with a potentially negative story like this at a time like now when the lad is clearly working hard to win our faith back, is out of order. 

You don't have to agree, but it is how I feel. I'd say the same for any of them. 

I apologise if you think I've been aggressive. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

I understand what your saying but if I received this 5 years ago I'd have posted it, if I received it 5 years from now I'd have posted it. I didn't take whether people were for or against him in my thinking, neither did my friend. It's about Gabby in a Gabby thread, current club politics and the pr spin of posting a potentially positive or negative thing about something didn't come into my mind. 

Well, the lad is getting very well paid to win our faith back.

And if he had earned his ridiculous amount of money over the last few years he would not have to win our faith back.

I know I am an unforgiving bastard, but it is too late.

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because I think fanning the flames with a potentially inciteful story like this at a time like now, when the lad is clearly working hard to win our faith back, is out of order. 

You don't have to agree, but it is how I feel. I'd say the same for any of them. 

I apologise if you think I've been aggressive. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I understand what your saying but if I received this 5 years ago I'd have posted it, if I received it 5 years from now I'd have posted it. I didn't take whether people were for or against him in my thinking, neither did my friend. It's about Gabby in a Gabby thread, current club politics and the pr spin of posting a potentially positive or negative thing about something didn't come into my mind. 

Fair enough. As I said, just my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

How many games must he play without scoring a goal when he can officially cease to be called a striker?  Seriously what is the point in any kind of experiment in playing a forward who literally never ever ever scores a goal? 

• Like 4

His lack of professionalism and seeming to be happy to stay in his home town picking up a fat pay cheque for doing very little has tarnish every Villa fans opinion of him and rightly so. Still if he was the Gabby under MON he would terrorise this league such a shame how things have worked out.

Another uninspiring and tired performance again tonight. Granted service was poor, but honestly I dont't see what he has to offer anymore. I'd rather see some of our youngsters get a chance.

• Like 4

You definitely see things differently being at a game than you do when you're watching it on TV, that is becoming more and more evident to me as time goes on. 

You see the little runs these players make and the way they affect the game off the ball. It's the same with McCormack. These lads aren't getting the service they should (though today was a poor game to choose to castigate them for it) however they're being judged harshly because of it. 

I genuinely don't mean this in a 'better fan' kind of way as I've only had my season ticket again for the last 3 years, but the things you don't see, the intangible things, are often equally as important as those things the cameras capture. That's not just relating to Gabby today, but a general point. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

All Gabby brings is the ability to sprint onto a ball played deep. Surely Hepburn-Murphey can do more? Or anyone really. Gabby is completely invisible if we are not counter attacking. 

Would Spurs have played such a deep line for RHM?

If you think a player who has never shown anything beyond a few goals are youth level, who I reckon you've seen all of 15 minutes of (because that's all I've seen), could do more then fair enough. I doubt it myself.

You can't really judge any forward playing alone upfront when they have no support.  He bullied a defender off the ball in the 1st half by the goal line and played a ball back to the penalty spot where you would hope at least a couple of our players would have made an effort to be.  Alas they were all miles away waiting for Spurs to regain the ball.

i am not his biggest fan but that and the shot where Alderweireld made a fantastic block to stop him scoring in the 2nd half gives him another chance to make it upto us for me.  

Play someone with him and it might pay dividends against weaker defences.

I'm convinced that if we had started anyone other than Gabby up front today of the players available we could have been battered. I know it seems like a stretch but hear me out.

In spite of what many including myself at times think about Gabby's waning ability opposition defenders don't see it that way. He kept their defence on their toes, he kept them pushed back and playing from deeper positions meaning the whole team were further away from our goal. In short he kept them honest.

If for example McCormack had started in that position I think the whole Spurs team would have been 10 or even 20 yards further up the pitch. More pressure on our goal would have come and the mistakes we saw at the end would have come sooner.

He's not a goalscorer and never really has been one either in my opinion but what he did do in his prime was push defenders back and create space for other players whilst chipping in with a decent goals return. He doesn't do that as often anymore or nearly as well but he is doing some aspects of it.

Thought he contributed a lot today.

• Like 2

for all the fallout following the game and everyone of course being shit (and i dont just mean on here, BBC were just as bad) thats now a seemingly underrated piece of really good defending at 0-0, obviously not sure if he'd have scored or the keeper would have saved it but theres not a lot more gabby could have done, turned well on it and hit it sweetly

• Like 1

Â