Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

9 hours ago, vreitti said:

Obviously I disagree, and find it quite unbelievable how anyone could think he was excellent, given we lost the game, and managed only 3 shots on target. 

Maybe if you watched the game you would have seen the 2 great saves their goalkeeper made from him, don't forget he only played the 2nd half

• Like 2

Mind boggling the length's that some people go to just to laud up this guy- once again people are talking up the very basic attributes that any professional footballer should possess - I would be furious if I followed a league two side and my strikers didn't do these basic essential requirements- January is going to be a long month I fear. 

• Like 1

Strange old thread this. One poster who, unlike the vast majority of us I imagine, was actually at the game said he had an excellent game and some it seems take umbrage with that.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of him surely we all want to see/read/hear that when he does play that he has done well. He is still our player after all. From the highlights I saw yesterday he was unlucky not to score and it seems he did more to threaten their goal than any other player.

With Gestede going, Kodjia at the ACON, McCormack out of sorts it may well be that we will need Gabby to feature a fair bit more this season. We'd all therefore better hope that he puts in more performances like he did yesterday and rather than go out of our way, almost certainly based on past indiscretions, to find fault with or mock performances when evidence suggests otherwise, praise the lad when he deserves it just as you would give him dogs abuse on the back of a poor one. I know which one I'll be relishing doing.

• Like 4

My issue is this in my humble opinion and I fully accept that it's just that- the guy is not good enough to represent Aston Villa Fc even at this level and I will not heap praise on any professional footballer for simply carrying out the very basic requirements once they cross the white line - goodness me would you not expect any player to run around, hassle, tackle, fight for every ball as the very minimal requirements at any level and not expect praise in return? This is why I struggle when people suggest that praise should be given for doing just this - I've seen us win everything bar the FA Cup have we really sunk to the levels where " running around a lot " is ok for us?

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

My issue is this in my humble opinion and I fully accept that it's just that- the guy is not good enough to represent Aston Villa Fc even at this level and I will not heap praise on any professional footballer for simply carrying out the very basic requirements once they cross the white line - goodness me would you not expect any player to run around, hassle, tackle, fight for every ball as the very minimal requirements at any level and not expect praise in return? This is why I struggle when people suggest that praise should be given for doing just this - I've seen us win everything bar the FA Cup have we really sunk to the levels where " running around a lot " is ok for us?

Unfortunately for so many years our players haven't even done these basics, so when someone does eventually show these attributes they are deserved some praise. I don't think anyone is saying he did wonders or was a superb player.

Edited by mikeyp102

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Unfortunately for so many years our players haven't even done these basics, so when someone does eventually show these attributes they are deserved some praise. I don't think anyone is saying he did wonders or was a superb player.

I agree when you say that no one is suggesting he is a superb player I fully accept this- however I fundamentally disagree that any player is heaped praise upon for carrying out the barest minimal requirements of being a professional footballer- I'm sorry maybe I am in the very tiny minority here- but this is just how I view all professional footballers 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I agree when you say that no one is suggesting he is a superb player I fully accept this- however I fundamentally disagree that any player is heaped praise upon for carrying out the barest minimal requirements of being a professional footballer- I'm sorry maybe I am in the very tiny minority here- but this is just how I view all professional footballers 

Totally agree with you pal. I was at the game, he came on and offered something we didn't have in the first half - strength up against Cardiffs centre halves. But he had a shot at goal ffs, playing against a bottom of championship Cardliff side.  Their keeper fluffed the save if anything.

38 minutes ago, Dave J said:

goodness me would you not expect any player to run around, hassle, tackle, fight for every ball as the very minimal requirements at any level and not expect praise in return? This is why I struggle when people suggest that praise should be given for doing just this - I've seen us win everything bar the FA Cup have we really sunk to the levels where " running around a lot " is ok for us?

Is that in any way related to what I said?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, philgetaway said:

Totally agree with you pal. I was at the game, he came on and offered something we didn't have in the first half - strength up against Cardiffs centre halves. But he had a shot at goal ffs, playing against a bottom of championship Cardliff side.  Their keeper fluffed the save if anything.

I was at the game too, I saw him have 2 decent efforts, both producing good saves, gave us a physical presence along with Tshibola that we lacked in the first half, I can't stand the bloke given the previous 2/3 seasons, but credit where it's due this season.

not nearly good enough for wheee we want to be I'll add...

• Like 4

This is actually hilarious.

"Its hilarious the lengths people go to to laud this guy", 

You look across the forum and the opposite is true.

"In my humble opinion, he is not good enough to play for this club, even at this level"

Even if that is/was true, your logic/lack thereof goes to toilet when the fact is all thats happened is certain posters, the manager, AND game reports said an Aston Villa player had a good game in a match, and some of you are actually appalled. So in essence his not good enough was better than the not good enough he replaced.

"Lauded for doing the basics"

Ok, well obviously he was doing the basics better than the player he came on for.

Would you have preferred if we kept on who was doing the basics worse just to satisfy your little delusional pissy pants vendetta against a football player?

Do you realise how childish and pathetic that is?

You would come across better if you either said nothing, or kept the critique short, sweet and within the lines of logic.

Afterall its what i try to do when he plays shite.

If Ashley Westwood had a good game guess what normal football fans would do?

Say he had a good game, give credit where its due whilst remembering why they dont like him and move on.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Doug - i have a feeling that you think so? 

No. I'm unsure why you started rattling on about workrate?

I don't particularly rate Gabby, I don't particularly like him. But he played well yesterday, he caused them problems. I've no idea why you find that so difficult to swallow. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Also, all Doug said in the spur of the moment was "I thought he was excellent". I don't think he put deep thought into it envisioning a full audit, analysis and tactical break down.

Have you ever seen Sir Gary describe players?

No one takes issue because 1.Its his opinion and 2. It's obviously just how he talks.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is actually hilarious.

"Its hilarious the lengths people go to to laud this guy", 

You look across the forum and the opposite is true.

"In my humble opinion, he is not good enough to play for this club, even at this level"

Even if that is/was true, your logic/lack thereof goes to toilet when the fact is all thats happened is certain posters, the manager, AND game reports said an Aston Villa player had a good game in a match, and some of you are actually appalled. So in essence his not good enough was better than the not good enough he replaced.

"Lauded for doing the basics"

Ok, well obviously he was doing the basics better than the player he came on for.

Would you have preferred if we kept on who was doing the basics worse just to satisfy your little delusional pissy pants vendetta against a football player?

Do you realise how childish and pathetic that is?

You would come across better if you either said nothing, or kept the critique short, sweet and within the lines of logic.

Afterall its what i try to do when he plays shite.

If Ashley Westwood had a good game guess what normal football fans would do?

Say he had a good game, give credit where its due whilst remembering why they dont like him and move on.

Your completely and totally wrong JV  I have not made any comments on any reports/reviews of the game via media- I am responding to comments that once again  mention work rate, effort and so forth which I say again are bare minimum requirements.

and by the way I have no vendetta I simply don't rate him and as for your comments re Westwood that is silly - given the stick he has received recently.

Just now, Dave J said:

Your completely and totally wrong JV  I have not made any comments on any reports/reviews of the game via media- I am responding to comments that once again  mention work rate, effort and so forth which I say again are bare minimum requirements.

and by the way I have no vendetta I simply don't rate him and as for your comments re Westwood that is silly - given the stick he has received recently.

Where?

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Where?

Doug you and I both know we are talking about his performances since his return to the squad - if you're ok with these Doug then fair enough that's you're right. I am not and that's where we fundamentally disagree 

24 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@Dave J I'm asking what comments you're referring to, specifically. 

Doug - I am not referring to any specific comments I am as I say referring to his performances   since his return to the squad from the blues game onwards and how our views are of difference 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

I think your views are clouded by your obsession. ;) When the time comes when this thread closes, I hope you will be OK.

Â