Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

11 hours ago, Genie said:

Doesn't score, doesn't nearly score.

Thays the things with Gabby. Its not like he's missing chances, he simply never looks likely to score. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Thays the things with Gabby. Its not like he's missing chances, he simply never looks likely to score. 

He's had 3 shots on target in 11 games.

And IIRC two of those came against Cardiff, which is the only game he's looked anything other than awful.

42 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I thought Bruce singling out McCormack for criticism in the press conference was pretty low and rather cowardly, when he has been regularly picking this ineffective numpty. 

Probably due to the missed header although I really have seen nothing to suggest gabby should be anywhere near the starting  11

11 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Why Gestede was sold is anyone's guess

Alright, I'll have a go (nothing against your post specifically btw morley, just the umpteenth time I've read something like this in various threads this morning and I finally bit :) ). 

My guess would be because he was one of the worst players I have ever seen in the Villa shirt. Shocking lack of ability. Everyone seems to have forgotten how he wandered around aimlessly game after game doing nothing, offering nothing and contributing less. Hugely overrated in the air because of his physical size.

Gabby was done years ago, we all know that in our hearts. I find it quite hilarious that people are even slightly surprised by his performances or lack of application. It aint nice but he's here till the end of next season. He's never going to leave, as others have said no one will be giving him a contract when this one expires. Quite how he got his last extention is beyond me. Resign yourselves to this. It will make the next 18 months easier to bear.

• Like 2

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Alright, I'll have a go (nothing against your post specifically btw morley, just the umpteenth time I've read something like this in various threads this morning and I finally bit :) ). 

My guess would be because he was one of the worst players I have ever seen in the Villa shirt. Shocking lack of ability. Everyone seems to have forgotten how he wandered around aimlessly game after game doing nothing, offering nothing and contributing less. Hugely overrated in the air because of his physical size.

No probs :P

I guess the question should have been expanded to: why did we sell him so early in Jan and without a replacement ready to come in?

And considering we were sending balls into the box at times yesterday with nobody to get on the end of them, the decision seems more bizarre. 

12 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So given we've got two tubby wastes of space, both of whom most agree shouldn't be starting, who would people have played up front yesterday?

Bunn & Gollini

• Like 1

On 1/11/2017 at 02:06, srsmithusa said:

realize a trend. 

Post 1

Insert player name here  (... preferably Gabby in this thread, but could be Grealish, Jedinak, Ayew, or about anyone else on the current roster except Johnstone yet...)  just isn't doing enough to earn the shirt.

Post 2

Insert same player name here... just needs more time to come good, show what he can do, show his old form, 

how long before we judge players solely on what they are currently producing rather than on what we hope they will produce soon?  or is that an unfair approach?

Its a good point and to some degree separates fact from fiction.

I like to comment on what I see during a match...not what I think is going to happen in weeks to come......relating to the playing, not the organisation of the club.

15 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

No probs :P

I guess the question should have been expanded to: why did we sell him so early in Jan and without a replacement ready to come in?

And considering we were sending balls into the box at times yesterday with nobody to get on the end of them, the decision seems more bizarre. 

I think the point is that even if Gestade were still here,  we would have been sending balls into the box at times yesterday with nobody to get on the end of them

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Bunn & Gollini

What a ridiculous answer. Gollini is out on loan now. Obviously other than that it's a fair answer. 

Edited by sidcow

regardless of our striker situation Gabby should not play again. I, with many others were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Thinking this is an opportunity for him, lower league, lesser defenders and all that stuff, but, he has shown absolutely nothing in any of the games he has played. Nothing. His main attribute, pace, has gone. He has never been a prolific finisher and i i was a defender in the championship and saw new he was playing i'd be thinking i'm in for an easy game today !!!

Mr Bruce now needs to bite the bullet and bomb him out of the team/squad. Will his ego allow him to do this and admit he was wrong? I sincerely hope so.

I would much rather see one of the kids play with the raw endeavour and effort that that would bring.

Over to you Mr Bruce, lets see who has the biggest ego? You or Gabby.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think the point is that even if Gestade were still here,  we would have been sending balls into the box at times yesterday with nobody to get on the end of them

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So given we've got two tubby wastes of space, both of whom most agree shouldn't be starting, who would people have played up front yesterday?

Don't forget the guy who we can only assume will never play for us again in Kozak, The kid who wont sign a contract who would definitely be getting a run now if he wanted it and we can only assume will never play for us again in RHM. On top of that, we're waiting for two of the most selfish players we've had in recent memory to come back to be remotely competitive. It's not like Kodjia and Ayew are the saviours of anything. Davis is obviously a work in progress and would arguably be unfair to throw him in in the current atmosphere. Same goes for McKirdy.

Of those main 6:
I like Kodjia
I don't rate Ayew
McCormack has been hugely disappointing
Gabby and Kozak are finished
RHM is playing silly buggers over his contract.

Therefore with Kodjia and Ayew away, Gabby, Kozak and RHM unpickable, I suppose I would have had to go McCormack up top, with Grealish in a midfield 5. If McCormack can find a couple of goals we'll be playing an expensive signing into form. The other 3 have nothing to gain and we have nothing to gain from playing them.

Having said all that Bruce had something to lose from leaving him out as RDM had done. If Bruce had gone on this run leaving Gabby out, his fans would be calling Bruce out on it. By letting him hang himself publicly he has managed the situation rather well imo. When RDM was here there were plenty of posters in here calling for him to be given a go. Some will say this has cost us promotion yadda yadda yadda but if that's true then the decisions made in the close season are to blame, not Bruce. However pleased we may or may not have been with our transfer dealings in the summer, there were plenty of people pointing out our midfield looked weak. We spent close to £30m on a new strikeforce. Kodjia is everything that Bristol City fan who came in here to chat to us said he was (go back to the start of the Kodjia thread he had him nailed) good player, makes goals out of nothing but a bit greedy and also inconsistent and usually needs a few chances to score. McCormack has just been a huge let down. All the back ups offer is the hope of being better than they've shown here but hanging your hat on Gestede, Ayew, Gabby or Kozak suddenly coming good or being better because the opposition is worse was only ever going to end in tears.

Edited by VILLAMARV
added an is
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But the point is apart from Gabby and Ross we've currently got no other options. If Gestede was still here then we could have sent him on and hoped he'd get on the end of something. He scored more headed goals than any other Championship player the last time he played in the division. 

I don't totally disagree with selling him but I think it could have been done later on in the window or if we'd have had a replacement lined up.

Gabby is totally finished, so whilst Bruce said we've got too many forwards, we should be still be looking for one given Gabby should be no where near the squad and we've sold Gestede.

12 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

But the point is apart from Gabby and Ross we've currently got no other options. If Gestede was still here then we could have sent him on and hoped he'd get on the end of something. He scored more headed goals than any other Championship player the last time he played in the division. 

I don't totally disagree with selling him but I think it could have been done later on in the window or if we'd have had a replacement lined up.

Gabby is totally finished, so whilst Bruce said we've got too many forwards, we should be still be looking for one given Gabby should be no where near the squad and we've sold Gestede.

How many games of football have ever been won with hope though?

(Hope Powell does not count due to the lower case 'h' in the question!) ;)

Â