Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What has he said? 

Aston Villa legend Nigel Spink believes time is up for Gabby Agbonlahor at Villa Park.

Speaking to BBC WM , he said: "I think Gabby Agbonlahor is done at Villa.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/nigel-spink-gabby-agbonlahor-done-12429453

Basically says that he is finished, nothing to offer, took the piss etc.

Full quote;

"I think Gabby Agbonlahor is done at Villa.

"The way in which he has treated the supporters, his teammates and the club last year.

"I don't know what he offers, he had pace when he was younger, he has lost that.

"I don't think he is a threat anymore."

As for "The way in which he has treated the supporters, his teammates and the club last year." that's a subjective argument but above that it's an emotive one and not a football one. I think it's total bullshit at this stage, promotion > lingering resentment. He was a massive clearing in the woods, not a criminal.

As for not knowing what he offers, fair enough. I don't think he has lost his pace. We won't know if he is a 'threat' until he has had more game time, though he was certainly a threat vs Cardiff and arguably Spurs when given the chance. Whether that will continue I don't know, I have my doubts and it's only my opinion of course. However it feels like Spink has just plucked those quotes out of thin air with no real thought behind them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

However it feels like Spink has just plucked those quotes out of thin air with no real thought behind them.

It feels to me like he's just telling the truth, he is done at villa, he treated everyone at the club badly, he doesn't offer anything and he's not a threat. Gabby should be shipped out ASAP. Sadly we'll have to subsidise his wages just to get him to go.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

I do still think gabby has a lot to offer us. Even just bringing him on the pitch forces the oppositions back 10yards. If we had a midfield that could exploit the extra space that creates then I think he will bag a few goals for us. Personally I like Bruce's approach what he has done in the past is just that in the past if he can help us get promoted then I don't really care what he has done before now.

Edited by Avfc1590

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

As for not knowing what he offers, fair enough. I don't think he has lost his pace. We won't know if he is a 'threat' until he has had more game time, though he was certainly a threat vs Cardiff and arguably Spurs when given the chance. Whether that will continue I don't know, I have my doubts and it's only my opinion of course. However it feels like Spink has just plucked those quotes out of thin air with no real thought behind them.

It all depends on the definition of a 'threat' I suppose. To me these last few years clearly show he isn't a 'threat' anymore. He was never that big of threat anyhow, not even in his prime, and I'm not just talking about his goal scoring record. 

I wonder how much is enough game time? Another 30 games without a goal?

• Like 2

In fairness to Gabby he hasn't had many chances in front of goal, he has never been a clinical forward so does need a few chances to convert most of the time, with better service he'd score more and be at least decent at this level. 

What I'm more annoyed at is his fitness, he looked like he was blowing out of his arse after half an hour the other day. A lack of match sharpness is understandable but a lack of physical fitness is inexcusable. 

• Like 3

Fair enough, thats his opinion, yet i'm scratching my head trying to wonder why any so called "Villa fan" or anyone associated with the club would spout this to media?

What good does it do but give him and the rest who agree with him some self importance? On a forum or discussion among fans ok fine.

This is more harmful than helpful to the club for a variety of obvious reasons.

Seems a bit of a dick move to be honest!

Doubt Bruce will be happy, and this would go for any of our players.

Well said Nigel. He's no "so called " Villa fan. A true Villa legend. If this guy is our front man during the African Cup of Nations tournament, we can kiss goodbye to any chance of promotion. So depressing that he's still here.

Edited by meregreen

34 minutes ago, meregreen said:

He's no "so called " Villa fan. A true Villa legend. 

Who actually worries about this stuff aside from those who hate him?

I don't actually care if he's a Villa fan or not. I suspect he is, but meh. Nobody, I repeat nobody is calling him a legend. 

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Full quote;

As for "The way in which he has treated the supporters, his teammates and the club last year." that's a subjective argument but above that it's an emotive one and not a football one. I think it's total bullshit at this stage, promotion > lingering resentment. He was a massive clearing in the woods, not a criminal.

.....but when does a threat metamorphose in to and end product?

Dave, this so called threat has been barked out for years, much in the same way that Darius Vassell was praised for running the channels( I mean wowee)....its the very minimum you would expect from a forward.....These players were/are so limited......

Gabby is very limited in his effectiveness.

Look, I know why SB is playing him, because he does represent a modicum of holding the ball up, but he has as much chance of scoring as me and you in this team( well you know what I mean)....but to me it shows how desperate we are.

ps I have never rated Gabby, But I am not that bothered he is in the team, because other than Kodjia, no one else looks like scoring either....so its Hobsons choice in my view......shows where we are at.

Edited by TRO

@TRO The threat becomes an end product when the ball hits the back of the net, which it hasn't done with any regularity down The Villa for 6 years. We can keep sacking off all the players, but the problem is a much deeper one. It is bigger than one individual. 

On a side note, I don't know why people keep rolling out this 'running the channels' line. It only seems to be regularly mentioned in a negative context relating to Agbonlahor. As somebody who demands effort and physicality from their players as the number one defining factor of ability, I'm surprised you've chosen to use it in such a way here. 

You have never rated him, fair enough. Each to their own. I used to, I thought he was instrumental to our relative success. Now? As I've said, I think it's doubtful he will rekindle that form but I think there have been signs it's possible. I think anyone ignoring them is doing so out of prejudice.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Nigel Spink.

I think the last time we heard of him was when he scotched a rumour he was going to return as Villa goalkeeping coach because he had set up a courier business and wanted to focus on that.

Fair enough, big Nige.

Just concentrate on your courier business and shut your mouth up about Aston Villa matters.

I admit, I liked Gabby, and especially enjoyed watching him during the MON days. I never fully bought into the " Gabby is a prick" thought process, as there was too much to contradict that.  However, since then during a spluttering inconsistent career, I came to the conclusion that his time was over, and would have been happier to see RHM get some game time instead.

It seems that his "replacement" is more of a prick than Gabby was.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

I admit, I liked Gabby, and especially enjoyed watching him during the MON days. I never fully bought into the " Gabby is a prick" thought process, as there was too much to contradict that.  However, since then during a spluttering inconsistent career, I came to the conclusion that his time was over, and would have been happier to see RHM get some game time instead.

It seems that his "replacement" is more of a prick than Gabby was.

Can't win, it's football in 2017 and I only expect it to get worse. Young talent will be going to China to become millionaires in a week!

realize a trend. 

Post 1

Insert player name here  (... preferably Gabby in this thread, but could be Grealish, Jedinak, Ayew, or about anyone else on the current roster except Johnstone yet...)  just isn't doing enough to earn the shirt.

Post 2

Insert same player name here... just needs more time to come good, show what he can do, show his old form, 

how long before we judge players solely on what they are currently producing rather than on what we hope they will produce soon?  or is that an unfair approach?

• Like 2

On 10/01/2017 at 18:18, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who actually worries about this stuff aside from those who hate him?

I don't actually care if he's a Villa fan or not. I suspect he is, but meh. Nobody, I repeat nobody is calling him a legend. 

I was referring to Jamaican Villan calling Nigel Spink. a "so called Villa fan." My comment about him being a Villa Legend, was about Spink, not Gabby.

Â