Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just had this sent to me by a spurs supporting pal off another forum I'm on recalling the time he met him a few years ago. He gave me permission to post it and I think I've been here long enough for most to know I don't post untruths nor have reason to. I have no reason to not believe him either plus the fact is that it only confirms what we've all known for years anyway.

Gabby a loyal local lad you say? Villa fan my arse lol.

Pathetic post.

Aside from the pointless shit stirring.

It reminds me of a blind item from one of those scabby filth tabloids.

Whats next?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Would Spurs have played such a deep line for RHM?

If you think a player who has never shown anything beyond a few goals are youth level, who I reckon you've seen all of 15 minutes of (because that's all I've seen), could do more then fair enough. I doubt it myself.

thats the weird thing for me, teams still set up to counter the threat of gabby, brighton away being a more obvious case than today, every man and his dog on here thinking he's shit and yet 9/10 the team we play set their defence up to suit him, thats where the likes of grealish and ayew should eat up that space but we dont

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

thats the weird thing for me, teams still set up to counter the threat of gabby, brighton away being a more obvious case than today, every man and his dog on here thinking he's shit and yet 9/10 the team we play set their defence up to suit him, thats where the likes of grealish and ayew should eat up that space but we dont

They set up that way because when he did get a chance to run beyond a defender today they absolutely shit themselves. His pace is still there. 

There were people there today screaming at him to dribble past people. He's never done that, after 300 games why are people expecting that? The ball has to be right, and it so very very rarely is now. 

Ok, so perhaps Kodjia would have done something extraordinary to win the game off his own back, but most strikers at every level of the game need some kind of service. Gabby is no different, neither would the next man be. We have a fundamental problem with transitioning the ball forward that needs fixing before we start judging these lads properly. We have done for at least 5 years.

Players like Ayew or Grealish who try and do it all on their own aren't good enough, apparently. Neither are players like Gabby and McCormack who rely on teamwork. So where does this leave us? 

We still haven't replaced Paul Merson.

I'm not sure I buy this view that teams set up to negate the threat of Gabby.

These opposition players are well aware of Gabby's scoring record.I don't think there is any fear at all.

at the rate we say it's someone's else's job.....we need about 16 players on the pitch.

The reason we are playing Gabby is the similar reason we have been playing Westwood and Gardner......we have bought that many players over the years that have not worked out.....we are still relying on these.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I'm not sure I buy this view that teams set up to negate the threat of Gabby.

These opposition players are well aware of Gabby's scoring record.I don't think there is any fear at all.

Records mean shit all in football when it comes to the 90 minutes. It only takes a second and bang, you're 1-0 down and all the talk of 85 games 11 goals this or 6 touches that won't change the fact. 

Defenders defend the reality in front of them, not one presented to them on a spreadsheet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

They set up that way because when he did get a chance to run beyond a defender today they absolutely shit themselves. His pace is still there. 

There were people there today screaming at him to dribble past people. He's never done that, after 300 games why are people expecting that? The ball has to be right, and it so very very rarely is now. 

Ok, so perhaps Kodjia would have done something extraordinary to win the game off his own back, but most strikers at every level of the game need some kind of service. Gabby is no different, neither would the next man be. We have a fundamental problem with transitioning the ball forward that needs fixing before we start judging these lads properly. We have done for at least 5 years.

Players like Ayew or Grealish who try and do it all on their own aren't good enough, apparently. Neither are players like Gabby and McCormack who rely on teamwork. So where does this leave us? 

The last line is so true.

We simply haven't got enough players who have sufficient attributes.....in short they are decent at certain things, but limited in terms of giving anyone a hard time... this has a knock on effect to the balance of the side.

There are the popular choices to replace but I also think that some players that folk think are ok.....are not ok.....not if we want to go up.

I also think that no one knows what this best side is,including the manager, such is the changeable performances from the players.

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Completely agree

sigurdsson was the one for me, he was exactly what we needed and I was always disappointed when he was going around that we were never even linked to him 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just had this sent to me by a spurs supporting pal off another forum I'm on recalling the time he met him a few years ago. He gave me permission to post it and I think I've been here long enough for most to know I don't post untruths nor have reason to. I have no reason to not believe him either plus the fact is that it only confirms what we've all known for years anyway.

Gabby a loyal local lad you say? Villa fan my arse lol.

What a load of old cobblers!

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Records mean shit all in football when it comes to the 90 minutes. It only takes a second and bang, you're 1-0 down and all the talk of 85 games 11 goals this or 6 touches that won't change the fact. 

Defenders defend the reality in front of them, not one presented to them on a spreadsheet. 

Dave you know that is not what I am saying.......the dog and his grandmother knows all about Gabby "warts n all"......I would hardly think a Spurs side is cautious of him.

He has lost his pace and even when he had it he was not prolific.look, I understand why he is being played, but that is more of an illustration of how desperate we are as opposed to how well he is playing.

look, I am not picking on the fella, but to be talking him up imo is scraping the barrel.

I watched the game and I did not see any of our lot as a danger.....we had one opportunity, which they defended well.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

look, I am not picking on the fella, but to be talking him up imo is scraping the barrel.

I believe he is playing through merit and that we've seen enough in his cameos and in the last 100 minutes or so to demonstrate the point. Talking him up has got nothing to with it, I'm not his mate or his agent.

Whether that's because the rest of them are a load of tat is by the by. We've got to deal with the situation in front of us, not the one we wish was happening. 

• Like 1

I do think that teams set up differently when Gabby is playing through the middle. Even last year when Neville and Carragher were pissing themselves at his 8 touches vs Spurs, Carragher said that no one likes playing against him because of his pace. Whether it's a real threat or a 'myth' his presence in the team makes them defend deep which should give us space in the hole - pity we've got no one to play there to really take advantage

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

When was the last time he actually scored a goal?

Against Norwich on the 6th February 2016. We won 2-0.

Before that it was his 2 goals against Sunderland when we won 4-0 and RHM made his debut, on the 14th March 2015.

He scored in the gameweek before that too. Prolific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

Against Norwich on the 6th February 2016. We won 2-0.

Before that it was his 2 goals against Sunderland when we won 4-0 and RHM made his debut, on the 14th March 2015.

He scored in the gameweek before that too. Prolific.

So he's nearly due?

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:40, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Thought experiment, when was the last time a midfielder if ours, Grealish included, created a clear cut chance for our striker of the day? 

I'm struggling. 

I believe it was the Norwich game that is being mentioned from last season. Gabby scored as a result from a really lovely through ball from Veretout.

So Gabby has scored 11 goals in the last three seasons and McCormack 66 and it seem Bruce is preferring Gabby. I thought we had seen the back of him and now he's going to be given an extended run in the team. Spink Is right!

Edited by PaulC

On 08/01/2017 at 23:18, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Pathetic post.

Aside from the pointless shit stirring.

It reminds me of a blind item from one of those scabby filth tabloids.

Whats next?

Excuse me if I go ahead and ignore your view for reasons made obvious in this topic many many times. 

On gabby, although he is visibly trying at times he still offers very little, apart from an assist against qpr was it? he creates very little and there are still periods where he goes missing. For a lad supposedly trying to right his wrongs, I'm not sure the 100% effort required is there. He is trying, of that I have no doubt, but he really needs to do more. I personally don't believe he is sorry, I don't believe he is trying to make amends and I do believe he is just trying to protect his undeserved inflated weekly wage because he knows he won't get anything like that anywhere else BUT despite my views, if he starts contributing meaningfully again and does not rock the boat anymore then it is what it is and I hope he continues to play providing he improves.

Edited by Ingram85

Â