Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When was the last time kozak had a good twenty minutes. 

His performance against derby was utterly embarrassing. Nothing like the kind of spells Gabby has been showing since coming back into the fold. 

One of them suffered a career threatening injury, came back and trained hard. One went on holiday, acted like a prick and gave up as the club went down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When was the last time kozak had a good twenty minutes. 

His performance against derby was utterly embarrassing. Nothing like the kind of spells Gabby has been showing since coming back into the fold. 

One of them suffered a career threatening injury, came back and trained hard. One went on holiday, acted like a prick and gave up as the club went down.

To be honest, my post above makes no mention of whether he will 'make it' or not. Intentionally so, I have no idea really. I think physically, injuries playing a huge part in that, he might be done.

It's more a hopeful punt in the dark that it might convince some people to stop blaming him for literally everything that has gone wrong at the club and moan about his performances, rather than his past indiscretions.

2 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Then came back and trained hard. 

To be fair, I gave up on the team and joined a protest group. If I could have gone on holiday, smoked shisha pipes and shagged birds instead I might have. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Then came back and trained hard. 

To be fair, I gave up on the team and joined a protest group. If I could have gone on holiday, smoked shisha pipes and shagged birds instead I might have. 

As we know from the Westwood thread, training hard and working hard isn't something we can use as a way to praise a player. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To be honest, my post above makes no mention of whether he will 'make it' or not. Intentionally so, I have no idea really. I think physically, injuries playing a huge part in that, he might be done.

It's more a hopeful punt in the dark that it might convince some people to stop blaming him for literally everything that has gone wrong at the club and moan about his performances, rather than his past indiscretions.

His performances, by and large, have been utter shit for the last 3 years, add to this his behaviour and you have the fuse to the ticking Aston Villa clusterfück timebomb. He's not the cause but he is a major part in our downfall and there is no coming back for many fans DDID, personally, if he does his job, then I'm neither here nor there with him.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TB said:

Oh, yes, certainly. But I still cannot get my head around those numbers. 369 games is certainly worse than 369 hours, but 369 hours of football is still 246 games. Wikipedia claims that the longest goalless run record in English football was 11 games (jointly held by Coventry and Hartlepool).

369 minutes cannot be right, either. That's just four games. And 369 days without goals would see Villa not scoring for more than a year.

I'm stumped. @ dont_do_it_doug. : where did you get those numbers from? Your blog post make sense. But to me, those numbers don't.

Interesting. If we're talking the 2014-5 season, we had two significant goalless runs (only talking league games here):  20 Sep-18 Oct (5 games); and 26 Dec-2 Feb (6 games). We did get some goals in two cup games during the second run (including a goal by Gil :cheers:) so not sure if that counts.

So either 450 minutes or 540 minutes depending on the ground rules.

Equally stumped.

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

A bit unkind when you know it will get all the stattos (like me) frothing at the mouth.

I'm the guy who recently spent 6 hours going through 20 years of data whilst in his pants just to conclude that we might make the playoffs, or we might not. 

I feel your pain. 

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm the guy who recently spent 6 hours going through 20 years of data in his pants just to conclude that we might make the playoffs, or we might not. 

I feel your pain. 

Erm... well, yeah, I feel yours too. Sort of.

Henceforth, a pinch of salt won't be enough when reading numbers on here. Possibly by the barrel-load. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

His performances, by and large, have been utter shit for the last 3 years, add to this his behaviour and you have the fuse to the ticking Aston Villa clusterfück timebomb. He's not the cause but he is a major part in our downfall and there is no coming back for many fans DDID, personally, if he does his job, then I'm neither here nor there with him.

I agree, except for the part in bold. He's really not. 

If he does his job and scores goals, I'll go mental every time. Because I like goals. If we sell him tomorrow, que sera. I have no particular affinity to him, not really. I'm just bored of the scapegoating, I disagree with it. 

There are people, not here admittedly, blaming him for RHM not signing his contract. It's ridiculous. 

Edit - my mistake, somebody now has done just that. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree, except for the part in bold. He's really not. 

If he does his job and scores goals, I'll go mental every time. Because I like goals. If we sell him tomorrow, que sera. I have no particular affinity to him, not really. I'm just bored of the scapegoating, I disagree with it. 

There are people, not here admittedly, blaming him for RHM not signing his contract. It's ridiculous. 

Perfectly sums up my opinion. I think the previous board/Lambert should be publicly flogged in Aston park for giving him (and others tbf) ludicrous contracts, and thus, reinforcing his/their air of invulnerability around Villa park, it's the reason for our decline, of this I'm absolutely sure. No he shouldn't be blamed, but I won't judge people for doing so, as he is part of the gun that shot the sheriff so to speak.

• Like 2

Gotta be realistic when it comes to Gabby and it's hard because people care and he obviously stopped some time ago. But it does seem sometimes people think he was wrong for odd things like signing the contract he was offered, which we would all do in a heartbeat. The club have made some massive errors in recent history, contract extensions for Gabby, Hutton etc are right up there, but we have a footballer, a not very naturally gifted rather out of shape one, but a footballer in contract until next summer and not to play him would be a strange move for a manager in Bruce's position.

My big fear is we actually see Gabby try in the next 18 months but then I wonder how many times down the years he suddenly finds some form when it's contract renewal time?

Whether or not he finds himself, or some form, or a club that cares about either of those things is pretty irrelevant to me personally and to where we as a club are claiming we want to be.

But he will always be part of the family. Maybe he's the Uncle you don't talk to anymore after he pissed you off at Christmas once too often. He'll be remembered a lot more fondly when you don't have to actually put up with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

He's going to score the winning goal in the 97th minute of this seasons play-off final and get us promoted, you do all know this don't you?

He's still going to be shit the day after FYI. 

And run towards the Villa end with a shush finger to his lips

• Like 1

I understand Scapegoating. We've had plenty in the past, despite their efforts and ability: Hendrie. Alpay. Petrov. Sanchez.

There comes a point, however, where "scapegoat" is a cop out used in defense of players that lack the ability or desire. The player that Gabby is NOW (not 8 years ago) simply isn't good enough and he's taking a spot from others that could provide as much as he does right now and need the time to settle (McCormack) or have lots of improvement in them (RHM).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DK82 said:

At the end of the day I hope he scores goals to win us games, because that is good for Aston Villa. I just pray it doesn't end with another contract extension.

Yep, couldn't agree more.  I just want him to do positive things on the pitch. 

• Like 1

Â