Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

There is a brother, charisma Agbonlahor I think it is. He was playing for  boldmere a few years ago. Don't know about him academically though.

I can't quite warm to Charisma Agbonlahor. He has no.......... charm or appeal to me. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

There is a brother, charisma Agbonlahor I think it is. He was playing for  boldmere a few years ago. Don't know about him academically though.

It would be great if my brother was called Charisma rather than Andy...mind you I quite like the name Santiago so perhaps I need to get that deed poll form completed!

Yeah it's a bit lazy to say "Gabby is thick" etc, as no one on here really knows him personally etc. I think he's let himself down these last few seasons (but who hasn't, really?) but when say in 10 years time we look back at his career at Villa it'll be his early time at the club and his 70+ league goals I'll remember, and not the part from 2010 onwards when the entire club went to pot under Lerner's madness. It's such a shame fans aim so much abuse at him these days when no one really knows what's gone on behind the scenes. 

I for one hope he gets another chance at the club. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, avfc1982 said:

Yeah it's a bit lazy to say "Gabby is thick" etc, as no one on here really knows him personally etc. I think he's let himself down these last few seasons (but who hasn't, really?) but when say in 10 years time we look back at his career at Villa it'll be his early time at the club and his 70+ league goals I'll remember, and not the part from 2010 onwards when the entire club went to pot under Lerner's madness. It's such a shame fans aim so much abuse at him these days when no one really knows what's gone on behind the scenes. 

I hope he earns another chance

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Gotten tired of saying this, happy someone else has. 

It is to the point where people actually bash him for sport, some of it even without basis or fact.

Prime example is SNE saying "He has not even come forward and apologised to the club and fans" which he obviously did at the end of last season whilst relinquishing the captaincy. (Although fair play to SNE he admitted to not seeing it).

Anyway this one is tired, it's not up to us unfortunately, pretty sad all around.

• Like 3

On 3 September 2016 at 14:14, Mjvilla said:

There's 2 brothers Charisma and Michael (Mikey). Charisma left Boldmere and went back to Romulus but has issues committing to regular games. Neither brother is at all academic. Charisma to his credit seems to work hard to provide for his kids. Mikey is very immature and makes Gabby look like Einstein. Their sister is the most well rounded, Deputy Head of a local primary school.

(I don't know any of them personally but have connections with those that do know some members of the family).

Agree with Trent, that you had some sympathy with him with all the changes at the club since ONeil left.  He just doesnt seem to have found a place or role.

But with what happened last season you would think he would be prepared to do what it takes to get back to the club he loves.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

First of all good on you for offering a view that you know will be unpopular and giving some reasons, the site would be better if more did this constructively.

I have fairly consistently defended Gabby in recent seasons, I've gone as far as to say the club has let him down in the post O'Neill era for a variety of reasons which I won't repeat again.

I also defended the decision to renew his contract at the time although I did question the length of it. 

All that said his conduct last season was a disgrace. It would have been a disgrace in any season but in a season we were in such a mess, supposedly fighting for our lives his conduct was even worse.

I don't need to recap what it was, everyone knows but for him to bagged the way he did at the time he did showed a contempt for the club and the fans both of which pay his huge salary. That would have been inexcusable from any player but when that player is championed as being one of your own, well the backlash is always going to be bigger.

I'm really sad that Gabby's legacy at the club will now be one of recriminations, sneering and likely abuse. It shouldn't be that way but that it will be is almost entirely down to him.

This summer he was told he wasn't part of the plans, told his best option was a loan and try and show he had changed rather than tell them he had since the club had heard that before.

Had he gone out on loan, scored some goals he may just have changed people's minds. He may even have put some pressure on RDM depending on our results. He could then have potentially returned for the final year of his contract and potentially some redemption.

But he rejected the move to Reading, he did what has seemingly done so often in recent years he put other things ahead of playing football. Now granted that might be family and as a dad I can have sympathy for that but the trouble is that was hi one opportunity.

He opted not to put what remains of his career first and most will see that as being another selfish act regardless of the motivstion.

I think he has had all the chances he is going to get or deserves, waiting out another manager won't save him this time.

It is sad, it's a crying shame he will be remembered the way he will but it's too late to change that now and ultimately he is to blame for that.

Excellent post sir. Well said.  

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I know i've said it before but I feel sorry for the young 'uns if this is their 'legend'.

I'm 17 and he was by far my favourite player growing up, with Ashley Young as well. It's sad because he genuinely could have been so many young fans role model and even a fan favourite.

I remember when he burst on the scene and then the Arsenal interest and I clearly remember sitting in the pub with my mates and saying to them I know he aint the best but he's one of ours and in this time of 'mercenaries' how much I wished he would be our Steve Bull, our LeTissier. The moral of this tale being be careful what you wish for. It's a shame its gone bad but it's gone very very bad.

Edited by VILLAMARV

Â