Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

13 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'd think if anything they'd be inspired to play with Gabby. He may not be the player he once was, but he was a quality Villa player a while ago. I'd be excited to play with someone like that.

What? Seriously????? I would imagine that the kids that are (should) be willing to give blood sweat and tears for this club would hate the way he behaved as much as we do, they would probably be motivated to kick him all round the pitch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, he has pretty much been told his Villa career is over, zero, zilch chance of ever featuring again. How motivated would you be?

Sorry mate, but pride should kick in somewhere. What kind of example is he setting to his kids. Id laid of Gabby for a while after you and I shared words. Thought you had a point and I still wont lay the boot in. However my personal view is after he rejected that loan move he lost whatever respect I had left for him and my empathy too. He is self destructing and he doesnt appear (importantly chose that word) to care. It is very sad, but it is his own doing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, he has pretty much been told his Villa career is over, zero, zilch chance of ever featuring again. How motivated would you be?

Personal Pride should motivate you.  Anger at being told you are finished when you think you are not.  Trying to prove to them they are wrong.

All he is doing is proving them right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is an interesting article in the Times today, where strikers are ranked as to how many points they earned for their club in a season: in other words, how crucial were their goals to the outcome.

So a single goal in a 1-0 win is worth more than a goal scored in an easy win.

Van Persie came top by adding 27 points to Man U's season's total and adding 24 for Arsenal when he was there.

Gareth Bale (24), Suarez (24) and Vardy (23) were also mentioned.

When it came to points earned per goal Leicester's Mahrez came top with  1.19 points and Gabby came second with 1.08 points earned per goal.

So it is not only the perception that Gabby scored a lot of crucial goals for Villa, the statistics bear it out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There is an interesting article in the Times today, where strikers are ranked as to how many points they earned for their club in a season: in other words, how crucial were their goals to the outcome.

Van Persie came top by adding 27 points to Man U's season's total and adding 24 for Arsenal when he was there.

When it came to points earned per goal Leicester's Mahrez came top with  1.19 points and Gabby came second with 1.08 points earned per goal.

So it is not only the perception that Gabby scored a lot of crucial goals for Villa, the statistics bear it out.

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood (I'd be interested to read the article if you could link it), but this seems like a slightly misleading statistic as a more prolific scorer could have a lower average e.g. if Gabby managed to get two goals in a 2-0 win he'd have an average of 1.5 points/goal as opposed to one goal doubling this.

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm not sure if I've misunderstood (I'd be interested to read the article if you could link it), but this seems like a slightly misleading statistic as a more prolific scorer could have a lower average e.g. if Gabby managed to get two goals in a 2-0 win he'd have an average of 1.5 points/goal as opposed to one goal doubling this.

The Times is behind a pay-wall but as it is by the Fink Tank team, I am sure it can be relied upon.

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The Times is behind a pay-wall but as it is by the Fink Tank team, I am sure it can be relied upon.

There was a time when that was probably true, how far back do the statistics go?

In recent memory I remember the Norwich double  a few years back, the winner at the SOL and Anfield. When he scored we invariably got points.

This is going to be an undoubtedly unpopular opinion. However I really think he should be in the match day squad. I think he could be good in this league, I was at the match yesterday and we kept kicking balls down the channels which is where gabby can be effective. I would rather be bringing on Gabby at this moment in time than Green or Hepburn-Murphy, and he definitely brings a different option to the bench.

• Like 2

On 24/09/2016 at 10:56, MakemineVanilla said:

Which season for the 1.08 quote? Overall or a single season?

Almost all statistics can be misleading without full context. Football, being an incredibly complicated model to analyse statistically, is more prone to misleading stats than most others. As such, without someone providing a PhD level analysis and presentation of a players game I rely on my own eyes and he is, and always has (even when pushing for 4th place) been a liability. In fact I put the sole fact we didn't qualify for the CL firmly at his door. The amount of chances, and points, wasted in the season that we came so close to CL qualification is shameful. That was Randy's final throw of the dice season and had we a proper striker up front instead of GA then we possibly wouldn't be in the position we are in today. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 11:06, Sam-AVFC said:

Reads the same to me, score the only goal in a 1-0 win and you're great. Score a hat-trick in a 3-0 win and you're crap...

What about things like getting the important goal to change the momentum of the game when you are 2-0 down. 2-1 gets you back in it and would be the crucial moment from which to build.Or scoring the 2nd/3rd goal to kill a game off, As we have seen this season ourselves an extra goal would be of vital importance.

Looks like a load of old crap.

2 hours ago, guyavfc said:

This is going to be an undoubtedly unpopular opinion. However I really think he should be in the match day squad.

It's the 80th minute and Villa have a 1:0 lead. This could be our second win of the season - and it's only March.

What we need now is to close this game out. We need a super sub, a hard working defence minded wise old head to inspire the others to fight to the last. A never say die, run through walls stalwart. A midfield general. Someone that can read a game, influence a game, inspire others to give everything and then a bit more, that cancels out their midfield, panics their goalkeeper and plays mind games with the ref..

You turn to the bench. There sits Gabby...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It's the 80th minute and Villa have a 1:0 lead. This could be our second win of the season - and it's only March.

What we need now is to close this game out. We need a super sub, a hard working defence minded wise old head to inspire the others to fight to the last. A never say die, run through walls stalwart. A midfield general. Someone that can read a game, influence a game, inspire others to give everything and then a bit more, that cancels out their midfield, panics their goalkeeper and plays mind games with the ref..

Any chance we could start that guy?  He sounds too good to be on the bench. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstonMartin82 said:

Which season for the 1.08 quote? Overall or a single season?

Almost all statistics can be misleading without full context. Football, being an incredibly complicated model to analyse statistically, is more prone to misleading stats than most others. As such, without someone providing a PhD level analysis and presentation of a players game I rely on my own eyes and he is, and always has (even when pushing for 4th place) been a liability. In fact I put the sole fact we didn't qualify for the CL firmly at his door. The amount of chances, and points, wasted in the season that we came so close to CL qualification is shameful. That was Randy's final throw of the dice season and had we a proper striker up front instead of GA then we possibly wouldn't be in the position we are in today. 

I can't see why you would need a PhD to understand the statistics.

It is not a measure of how great a striker a player is, only a measure of how important a player's goals were to a particular team.

Van Persie's 26 league goals for Man United in season 2012-13 added 27 points to Man United's total: in other seasons he was less important.

Gabby's 1.08 points added per goal for Villa does not make him a great striker, only an important one in terms of his contribution to Villa's points tally.

As pointed out elsewhere a goal for a shit team is often worth more in terms of points gained, than a better striker playing for a better team.

So really Gabby's rating is more a measure of just how shit Villa are than how good he has been as a striker.

And no one doubts that Villa have been and continue to be a ****ing shit team.

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Haha, i get what your saying. However I don't think we have one wise old head at the entire club.

Â