Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Right yeah sorry, because erdington folk, and gravely hill folk and aston folk and Perry bar and kingstanding folk are normally competing over what colour beamer is better for their kids right? After the eton reunion of course.

Hey, I'm from Kingstanding!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, romavillan said:

Exactly so you as the priveledged 1% know better than anyone what its like for your bimmer to clash with your daughters 10k cap, am I right?

Well, this morning's dilemma was should I go to work in the Jag, or take the SL? I went in the Jag, which turned out to be a good call as it did rain on the way home, so I would not have been able to put the roof down in the SL.

Mind you, back when I lived in Kingstanding I had a mini. It was rusty.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Watch out for Cercei, I hear she's kind of a bitch.

Don't know her, (Not a Throner) haven't lived there for 20 years. Jenny Wager was around when I lived there.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Maybe I am just old fashioned. I expect someone who is paid to do a job, to do that job to the best of their abilities. I expect people who are in the public eye, who are role models, and supposed leaders, to behave and act beyond reproach. I expect the captain of a football club to be the one who fights for the team, who the supporters can rely on, who the team can look to to provide inspiration, to be a man who will give his all for the cause.

I wouldn't  say that's old fashioned.  Timeless, perhaps.  All groups and societies expect something very similar.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Basically he is a poisonous influence. Unfortunately we need to pay up his contract one way or another in order to get rid. As has been suggested we could make him train alone, although we would have to pay someone to supervise his training, but I'm sure we could get someone to do that, hell, I am sure some of the fans would do it for free - making him run round a pitch on his own.

He either has to be put on gardening leave for the rest of his contract, paid up or made to train alone. Regardless of whether he could "do a job for us" he must not be allowed back, he must not be allowed to influence the kids, or the new signings. We need to create a culture of togetherness and one where people know they have to perform - giving him another chance sends entirely the wrong message. The damage his presence would have to the team spirit and club culture is far more than any favours he could do us on the pitch.

Interestingly, this has quite a few similarities with the plot of the Ursula Le Guin short story 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas'. 

There's this happy city, see, everyone is perfectly happy, except for one girl who is held prisoner and tortured. It turns out that the happiness of the entire city requires the suffering of this one girl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Interestingly, this has quite a few similarities with the plot of the Ursula Le Guin short story 'The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas'.

Off topic, but worth reading?

Edited by Gary Thomas

10 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Off topic, but worth reading?

Yes, it's a nice thought-experiment. It's tiny as well, no more than 4 sides of A4 paper, you could read it in 15 minutes. 

Ursula Le Guin is a great and under-rated author. 

Back to Gabby . . . 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, it's a nice thought-experiment. It's tiny as well, no more than 4 sides of A4 paper, you could read it in 15 minutes. 

Ursula Le Guin is a great and under-rated author. 

Back to Gabby . . . 

Read the first 3 Earthsea books as a kid, but that's the only one's of her I've read. 

Just read it. Liked the line where she describes Omelas as a positive happy place and then writes, "I fear that Omelas so far strikes some of you as goody-goody. Smiles, bells, parades, horses, bleh."  Made me think about VT and some of the conversations about Tony and our prospects this year!!

No more posts about books from me I promise.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

Whoa hold your horses partner.  Erdington isn't some kind of late 70's New York ghetto. Isn't his dad some kind of top research scientist?   It's not exactly a rags to riches story. 

I grant he earned his money in the early days but I really really begrudge any single penny he has had from this club in the last 3 years. 

His Dad (Samson) has a PhD in metallurgy and works as a consultant. Not quite a banker but not exactly slumming it either...

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think his Dad is a doctor from Nigeria and his Mum was a nurse, which is how they met. Gabby's sister is very intelligent apparently according to her maths tutor who also tutored my daughter a few years ago. I have a feeling that there is a brother too who is doing something academic. It seems Gabby got the sporting genes and not much else!

Fun fact: they are Roman Catholics.

My take on Gabby, for what its worth, is I don't hate the bloke and I don't get the personal vitriol on this thread. But I sure as hell have no respect for him. Two reasons:

1. I find it little short of astounding that professional sportsman is axed from the squad and told to go and get fit. That smacks of a very poor attitude and shows little respect for either the club or his fellow players.
  2. He turns down a move to Reading on loan and according to Pat Murphy Sheffield Wednesday as well. Conclusion being that he would rather collect his money and not play as he clearly has been told he is no future at Villa. Again that demonstrates a poor attitude and lack of character and mental strength.

I may be in a minority of one here but when Gabby first burst on the scene he was a good player, more pace than skill, but scored plenty of important goals for us. He worked hard on the pitch, tracked back and generally was an asset to the squad.

Trouble was his footballing ambition was to play for Villa and once he had achieved that on a regular basis he started to lose interest. I don't buy the he was played out of position argument as he did well on the wing in a number of games. Given his pace and skill he could and should have delivered on a regular basis in a wider role.

It all boiled down to attitude and commitment which we have now all seen is entirely lacking on both counts

There is a brother, charisma Agbonlahor I think it is. He was playing for  boldmere a few years ago. Don't know about him academically though.

Â