Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I can't see why you would need a PhD to understand the statistics.

It is not a measure of how great a striker a player is, only a measure of how important a player's goals were to a particular team.

Van Persie's 26 league goals for Man United in season 2012-13 added 27 points to Man United's total: in other seasons he was less important.

Gabby's 1.08 points added per goal for Villa does not make him a great striker, only an important one in terms of his contribution to Villa's points tally.

As pointed out elsewhere a goal for a shit team is often worth more in terms of points gained, than a better striker playing for a better team.

So really Gabby's rating is more a measure of just how shit Villa are than how good he has been as a striker.

And no one doubts that Villa have been and continue to be a ****ing shit team.

My point being that single arbitrary stats on their own are meaningless without context. You can find a statistic for pretty much any position you want though being able to back it up with reason you can't. 

Not saying you need a PhD to understand it, more that someone with a PhD in statistics will find this particular measure unpredictive of either a player or teams ability.

Without a qualified statisticians input into the matter I will base my judgement of someone on what I see - and in this instance, over a decades worth of utter dross. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

The relief you feel when you notice the Gabby thread has been bumped, go in and nobody's suggesting to bring him back, is nice. 

Maybe we should consider bringing Gabby back into the Fold?  Seriously he can't be any worse can he? ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Maybe we should consider bringing Gabby back into the Fold?  Seriously he can't be any worse can he? ;)

I am sure he would be part of RDM plans if he was right back to his fittest and sharpest. I dont think he can be arsed to try and play for us again. 

22 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I swear the people who hate Gabby spend more time in the Gabby thread than the people who actually like him lol. WTF?

Was wondering why this was being bumped recently.

There's people who like him? :o

• Like 1

Â