Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

I personally believe that there were some very bad apples in the squad last season, least of all Gabby & Richards.

I think now we have come this far in the freezing out of Gabby, we should stick with it.  He is good enough to make the bench but not having him there is not the end of the world. Continue to freeze him out and he'll eventually get the message that if he wants to play football again, he'll have to do it elsewhere. 

It's a new day and a new dawn now.  The Gabby era is over.

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Just leave him at home wasting his career. This will be his last pay day.

you underestimate the stupidity of football clubs ;)

looks like Nzogbia just got a club and yesterday Balotelli got a move

48 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

I personally believe that there were some very bad apples in the squad last season, least of all Gabby & Richards.

I think now we have come this far in the freezing out of Gabby, we should stick with it.  He is good enough to make the bench but not having him there is not the end of the world. Continue to freeze him out and he'll eventually get the message that if he wants to play football again, he'll have to do it elsewhere. 

It's a new day and a new dawn now.  The Gabby era is over.

NOT...

pedant alert, sorry.

• Like 1

What I would say is, if he'd been pulling up trees in pre-season, he'd be in the squad. 

Whether RDM and the Doc rate him or think he's previously been a bad influence would be irrelevant if he'd have performed. Granted he might have had to do more than others to impress, but I don't believe that he'd have been frozen out, IF his actions/performances in pre-season had been up to scratch. 

There was a player in there a few years ago. Was never going to be a world beater, but he was decent and his pace was insane. I don't believe that player is in there anymore.

• Like 1

This "silent majority" that apparently still back him... Have to say I'd be a little surprised. Birmingham Mail ran a poll during Shish-gate and it certainly didn't show a great deal of love out there...

Can mods setup a poll on here and we'll know just how "major" this majority is...

• Like 1

Gabby or Green? Gabby or Murphy? Gabby or the Dr himself? It doesn't matter, he will never pull on the jersey again. His career is over. 

12 hours ago, terrytini said:

I've read all your Pro Gabby posts without comment so far, and have just thought fair play to you if that's what you believe.

SO I sort of wanted to avoid the subject a bit, especially as I know it will go round and around !

But I have gotta say, whilst you have been quite right as regards your assessment of some of his better seasons at the Club, I think you are just way, way off with this one.

1. Yes, yes, yes, I would rather see Green come on.  Partly because he has shown as much application and ability already as Gabby has in  - lets make it easy  - two years.

And partly becaue Green represents the future, whereas however one views Gabby, he is not the future.

2. You, me, none of us, know how much effort he has put into being fit.  He might look fit, but that shouldn't be hard for a pro'.  Petrov looked fit, and actually did more than Gabby in pre-season, but fit compared to me and you still didn't mean fit enough.

3. Why in pre-season anyway ?  Did he have to wait for pre-season to get fit ?  And how did he get none fit, in our hour of need ?

4. Even if he was suddenly the most reformed fittest guy in the Club, No thanks.  He would be like the guy on the Titanic.  When the chips were down he saved himself, threw the kids in the sea, but now he is on dry land wants to be a childminder.  Too late. Too late. Sorry, way way too late.

And that's all without me even knowing what his actual attitude is like now - and I'm willing to bet (though I agree it is uninformed guesswork) that it is crap.

I really really want the Club to remove people that were most responsible for last season. And given the position he had, he is right right up there, as is Richards, for the same reasons.

And you know what, even when he was at his best, he was only ok, so again YES, Green for me, or any other youngster where RDM can say "look mate, come the AFCON you are in with a shout " without that kid looking across and thinking "Well I'm not coz they will select Gabby".

Truly one of the best posts on VT for quite some time.

• Like 1

Hope he's not "Reading" The Sun today...

FLABBY GABBY VILLA EXILE 

Gabby Agbonlahor’s Aston Villa career is over with club chiefs fuming after he rejected a transfer deadline day move to Reading

The sulking star had been offered a move but refused to leave with the club now vowing to make sure he never plays another game for them

EXCLUSIVE
BY GRAEME BRYCE

1st September 2016, 10:03 pm

01_twitter.png
02_facebook.png
25_email.png

COMMENTS

GABBY AGBONLAHOR’S Aston Villa career is over    after he snubbed a deadline-day move.

The sulking star, 29, refused to join Reading on loan and fuming Villa chiefs have vowed he will not play for the club again.

Gabby Agbonlahor was caught with what appeared to be laughing gas
Gabby Agbonlahor was caught with what appeared to be laughing gas

Agbonlahor

It is an open secret within Villa Park the club’s longest-serving player has kicked his last ball for them.

Gabby Agbonlahor was stripped of the captaincy and deemed unfit to play for the club
Gabby Agbonlahor was stripped of the captaincy and deemed unfit to play for the club

New owner Tony Xia even took to Twitter to slam Agbonlahor, accusing him of failing to  act like a “real man” after snubbing first-team football.

A source close to the club added: “Gabby has condemned himself to spending the next four months in exile, training with the kids.

“It’s fair to say the new owner was not impressed by his lack of ambition.

“He is one of the club’s highest-paid players and seems content with that.

“Now he must be resigned to never playing for Aston Villa again.”

RELATED STORIES

SUNEXCL_image3jpg-_2807455a.jpg?crop=0px

ASTON VILLAIN

Gabby Agbonlahor on laughing gas and drink binge the day his club were relegated

agbonlahore1-e1459771299814.jpg?crop=0px

UP IN SMOKE

Gabriel Agbonlahor suspended by Aston Villa over shisha pipe reports

NINTCHDBPICT000221926820.jpg?crop=134px%

FLABBY AGBONLAHOR

Agbonlahor told he is not fit to wear Villa shirt and banished from training ground after shisha pipe furore

adama-traore-albert-adomah-twin-up.jpg?w

ONE IN, ONE OUT

Middlesbrough sign Aston Villa winger Adama Traore on a four-year deal

nintchdbpict000212307287-e1472586535947.

HIGHWAY TO HULL

Hull boss Mike Phelan launches ambitious bid to sign Ghanaian striker Jordan Ayew from Aston Villa

Gabby Agbonlahor proves fitness by doing some speed training

Sucker up ... Agbonlahor in balloon pic

The controversial striker earns £40,000 a week but has infuriated fans after a series of high-profile bust-ups last season.

NINTCHDBPICT000263522740
SWNS:SOUTH WEST NEWS SERVICE

Agbonlahor was also pictured smoking from a shisha pipe in Dubai

NINTCHDBPICT000263522759

The photos emerged in March

NINTCHDBPICT000263522734

Agbonlahor has previous of getting into trouble for his activities off the pitch.

Aston Villa fans fell out with Gabby Agbonlahor for his off-the-pitch actions

Aston Villa fans fell out with Gabby Agbonlahor for his off-the-pitch actions

Last April, Villa suspended their club captain after he was pictured holding a shisha pipe while partying in Dubai during an international break.

And days later he was suspended AGAIN, this time for  allegedly being snapped with laughing gas as he  partied in London —  the  night Villa were relegated from the Prem.

The then-Villa caretaker manager Eric Black later publicly ripped into Agbonlahor for his poor fitness as fans branded him ‘Flabby Gabby’.

He did return for pre-season in better shape, but did not impress new boss Roberto Di Matteo enough to get selected for any matchday squad so far this season.

STEVE ROUND has been named Villa’s new technical director.

He was David Moyes’ No 2 at Everton and Manchester United.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/championship/1713151/gabby-agbonlahors-aston-villa-career-is-over-with-club-chiefs-fuming-after-he-rejected-a-transfer-deadline-day-move-to-reading/

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but we already had someone who burst onto the scene circa 2006, doing great things, exciting the crowd, full of passion and an ankle tattoo.

The early promise of a bright future was followed by an understandable (or at least explainable) fall off to mediocrity on the stats front (less money because of divorce / recession, less goals because of being on the wing) before diving into the depths of depravity and becoming a symbol of everything that has gone wrong with Villa over the last few years. 

There's no real point to this post other than to say that Gabby is the Quantum Leap identity of Randy Lerner and I claim my five pounds. 

• Like 1

Oh dear it was always destined to end this way.

Agbonlahor was one of those I truly felt we would not be able to shift.  I was amazed that a club of Reading's stature came in for him to be honest and it seemed a no brainer for him to go.  Trouble was he proved not to actually have a brain.

In addition I felt that even should a club come in for him he would not move as he is far too comfortable collecting his 40K a week for doing **** all.

So all that remained was he should stay here and knuckle down or we get rid somehow.  He was never going to knuckle down,  he has been given several opportunities,  just not in his character to do that.

Him staying here for me is not an option.  It continues with the bad blood that has been at this club through various players over the last 18 months.  It continues to have a player at the club who cannot be arsed when we are trying to have a team who can be arsed.  A player collecting 40k for basically being a stain on his profession when other players could look at him and think if he can get away with it why should I bother.  A poison if you like still remaining here.  someone who does not give two shits for his profession or his employer or the customers of that employer.

In those circumstances you have to shift him out of the club.  This is the type of scenario that I and a few others had in our minds I guess when we called for drastic action on a few players in the summer.  Obviously some would find new clubs.  Some wouldn't . I will give the club credit to say that the some wouldn't list is a lot shorter than I thought it would be.  However if I had to bet my life who would be left then Agbonlahor would have been up there.

What is he on 40K per week? 3 years left? Roughly 6M quid to pay him.  Does the club do that for the next three years with him remaining here as the rotten apple infecting the club and its surroundings? Nope I'd say not.  Make a further investment in team atmosphere.  Not saying we should pay the full 6m surely a compromise of 2 or 3 could be reached enabling him to retire and do no further harm to a tarnished reputation. One final chance to do something for the club he purports to support

Edited by Richard
  • Like 4

Nah, make him come in and train on his own down in the bottom field.

Put a shed there that's his personal changing room, he's not welcome with the professional players.

Training is 8am-midday. 10am-2pm if you're selected in the matchday squad.

Any day Gabby is late to training he's fined two weeks wages. We'll be in profit by the end of three years.

Yeah Villa still pay his wages so make this cretins life a misery train alone, with kids and dont even select him so his career is over once he leaves as no-one will want him. He will be retired by 32 i predict not out of his own choice

Â