Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

On 3 September 2016 at 12:53, Harry said:

I think his Dad is a doctor from Nigeria and his Mum was a nurse, which is how they met. Gabby's sister is very intelligent apparently according to her maths tutor who also tutored my daughter a few years ago. I have a feeling that there is a brother too who is doing something academic. It seems Gabby got the sporting genes and not much else!

Fun fact: they are Roman Catholics.

My take on Gabby, for what its worth, is I don't hate the bloke and I don't get the personal vitriol on this thread. But I sure as hell have no respect for him. Two reasons:

1. I find it little short of astounding that professional sportsman is axed from the squad and told to go and get fit. That smacks of a very poor attitude and shows little respect for either the club or his fellow players.
  2. He turns down a move to Reading on loan and according to Pat Murphy Sheffield Wednesday as well. Conclusion being that he would rather collect his money and not play as he clearly has been told he is no future at Villa. Again that demonstrates a poor attitude and lack of character and mental strength.

I may be in a minority of one here but when Gabby first burst on the scene he was a good player, more pace than skill, but scored plenty of important goals for us. He worked hard on the pitch, tracked back and generally was an asset to the squad.

Trouble was his footballing ambition was to play for Villa and once he had achieved that on a regular basis he started to lose interest. I don't buy the he was played out of position argument as he did well on the wing in a number of games. Given his pace and skill he could and should have delivered on a regular basis in a wider role.

It all boiled down to attitude and commitment which we have now all seen is entirely lacking on both counts

I'm with you on 95%of  that.

I appreciate he was better in his formative years and we could portion some blame on the club for not signing players with sufficient quality to challenge him.

I have always seen gabby's game as pace and little else..... i have watched him carefully and he has rarely looked for space or worked/moved for opportunities in and around the box.

He has never been a Saunders or a Defoe and to my mind never tried to improve his game in that direction.

not being disrespectful to our club but playing for Aston Villa over the last 6 years didn't DEMAND much Ambition.He has been caught up in all of that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

As he has decided he is not interested in playing football for at least the next 4months. Rather than us doing him a favour and having him around the youth teams, training using the clubs facilities etc IMO we should should just pay him off and release him and let him train on his own away from the club until he can find a team in Jan stupid enough to sign him. He can't sign for anyone else until the window opens, it's his choice to get paid not to play. Dr X should tell ok that's your decision which your entitled to however this is ours, thanks but here's £X now piss off, 

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

As he has decided he is not interested in playing football for at least the next 4months. Rather than us doing him a favour and having him around the youth teams, training using the clubs facilities etc IMO we should should just pay him off and release him and let him train on his own away from the club until he can find a team in Jan stupid enough to sign him. He can't sign for anyone else until the window opens, it's his choice to get paid not to play. Dr X should tell ok that's your decision which your entitled to however this is ours, thanks but here's £X now piss off, 

Here's the problem, say for argument's sake he's on £35,000 p/wk following relegation. He has a contract until summer 2018, so he'd only consider a pay-off if it was something like 18 months worth of salary, so could be in the region of 2.75 million. Nothing to stop him then getting signed by someone else sharpish as free agents can still be signed (see Bendtner at Forest).

We will have to hope the next 4 months of him rotting in the reserves gets him to move in Jan, though I have my doubts with this guy.

Edited by AvfcTheObsession
correction

7 minutes ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Here's the problem, say for argument's sake he's on £35,000 p/wk following relegation. He has a contract until next summer, so he'd only consider a pay-off if it was something like 18 months worth of salary, so could be in the region of 2.75 million. Nothing to stop him then getting signed by someone else sharpish as free agents can still be signed (see Bendtner at Forest).

We will have to hope the next 4 months of him rotting in the reserves gets him to move in Jan, though I have my doubts with this guy.

Ah ok for some reason I thought he only had a year left my bad. Just want him gone ASAP ! 

• Like 1

On 6 September 2016 at 12:22, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

According to "reports" he is training with the kids.

That used to be a common method Ron Saunders used for players he had no time for.

Â