Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Tim Sherwood is not going to fix the ills of this football club that has been going on for years.....in one window....Gabby will be one of his lieutenants irrespective of his form, whether we like it or not.

He has lost 3 players that have been with the club some time and form that stability that we require to function ....he can't afford to lose many more of that ilk.

blimey, it could be argued that Bournemouth/Watford/Norwich have gained promotion to this league, most of our players have been bought in......Aston Villa are an established Premier league CLUB....Aston Villa are not an established Premier League TEAM.

The young players look up to him here so in defence of Sherwood I can see some logic to his points.

I remember last season Grealish set up a goal and he straight away went away to celebrate with Gabby who was a sub, think it was West Ham game. So if the future saviour of Aston Villa respects him that's good enough for me.

Also mixing up team captain with club captain. Club captain's don't always play but are more respected figures around the club.

It's good to see the manager try to lift a player who must be at a pretty low ebb at the moment - good management.

I think it was bad management to make him club captain in the first place. Sherwood put himself in a situation in which Gabby has suddenly become more important than he was, and now "ows" him more playing time than he normally would. If Gabby really is a leader (which I don't think he is) then he doesn't need that title, either you make him captain or you just let him lead as "lieutenants" do in every other club. If he isn't, you simply don't make him club captain.

This way Sherwood gave an important role to one of our poorest players (certainly among those playin in attacking positions) and would look a bit foolish for not playing him.

I'd have to disagree, I don't think this has anything to do with the club captaincy and I certainly don't think the manager would be influenced by that in terms of who he picks for the team.

I think Gabby has taken an awful lot of stick, being the subject of the local paper two days in a week and insulted just about everywhere that people are able to add a comment must be difficult to live with for someone who's spent his whole life working for the club. I think it's bound to have had an effect and I think it's good management when the manager tries to lift someone who potentially will have a big say in how our season goes.

As to weather the manager will play him on the basis of his club captaincy, it also depends on what has been agreed by them, so it's really hard for us to say. I still think it was unnecessary (if not counter productive) to appoint him club captain.

As to defending him, I agree, a manager should defend his players from abuse. I hope that this abuse will however make Sherwood consider if Gabby is indeed good enough to start. In other words, I hope it's just talk, and nothing more.

It's good to see the manager try to lift a player who must be at a pretty low ebb at the moment - good management.

I think it was bad management to make him club captain in the first place. Sherwood put himself in a situation in which Gabby has suddenly become more important than he was, and now "ows" him more playing time than he normally would. If Gabby really is a leader (which I don't think he is) then he doesn't need that title, either you make him captain or you just let him lead as "lieutenants" do in every other club. If he isn't, you simply don't make him club captain.

This way Sherwood gave an important role to one of our poorest players (certainly among those playin in attacking positions) and would look a bit foolish for not playing him.

On the contrary.

I think making him "club captain" was a huge indication that he'll be playing a lot less this season.

If Sherwood planned to play him more he'd have made him the actual captain.

What he's done, is give Gabby an ambassadorial role at the club. He's basically motivating him to be a senior figure and a role model to the other players whilst acknowledging that he probably won't be getting as much game time this season.

However we feel about Gabby's ability, players and managers have said time and time again that he's a big character in the dressing room. When you add to that he's now a senior player and our longest serving player, Sherwood is simply harnessing that character and experience whilst not obliging himself to play him every week (which is what would have happened if he gave him the actual captain's role)

I really don't see why people have such a problem with it.

Massive season for him now that we didn't sign another striker. We are going to need him to start scoring some goals regularly.

He needs to prove all the doubters wrong and repay the faith that those who believe in him have had.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Massive season for him now that we didn't sign another striker. We are going to need him to start scoring some goals regularly.

Well, we need somebody to score goals. A few players actually. Not necessarily Gabby.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

On the contrary.

I think making him "club captain" was a huge indication that he'll be playing a lot less this season.

If Sherwood planned to play him more he'd have made him the actual captain.

What he's done, is give Gabby an ambassadorial role at the club. He's basically motivating him to be a senior figure and a role model to the other players whilst acknowledging that he probably won't be getting as much game time this season.

However we feel about Gabby's ability, players and managers have said time and time again that he's a big character in the dressing room. When you add to that he's now a senior player and our longest serving player, Sherwood is simply harnessing that character and experience whilst not obliging himself to play him every week (which is what would have happened if he gave him the actual captain's role)

I really don't see why people have such a problem with it.

That's what I thought as well, but so far Gabby seemed to be the most "untouchable" of all our attacking players. I know't it's just 4 games into the season, but I (slightly) worry that we might actually see much more of Gabby than we all expected.

When people were clamouring for Sherwood to work his 'Benteke Magic' on the seemingly incoming Adebayor, nobody, it seems, was thinking Tim could do the same thing with Gabby.  Because if anybody needs to sort his head out and redouble his efforts it's this guy.  Surrounded by an instant posse of startling talent will Agbonlahor finally knuckle down and become something like the force he is capable of being?  Because he won't last long here if he doesn't...

I suspect he's lost that loving feeling.  Whether it's in his increasingly bulky body, or his perpetually dense head, I'm not too sure.

Sherwood didn't make Benteke and Adebayor brilliant players, he gave them both confidence by praising them in public and presumably behind the scenes, and then building the respective attacks all around those players so that they got more chances than previously. Gabby is a different proposition - he's not a great striker suffering a slight dip in confidence, he's a deeply average striker suffering a huge dip in confidence, as witnessed on social media recently. 

Gabby does generally try hard, but you can't be better than your maximum potential, and sadly I think he's already at his potential. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

According to the avfc website he has recovered does that mean we might see the bird brain make an appearance against Leicester?

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4991960,00.html

"Gabby Agbonlahor has also recovered from his bout of sickness"

NOOOOOOOOOO

nothing like getting behind the boys before a big weekend eh? I'm sure encouraging support like this will get him back to his best :rolleyes:

• Like 4

He needs to prove all the doubters wrong and repay the faith that those who believe in him have had.

I think he will. I also think a lot of fans have made their mind up about him no matter how well he plays.

• Like 2

I think he will. I also think a lot of fans have made their mind up about him no matter how well he plays.

"No matter how well he plays" - is my sarcasm detector not working???

Nobody would be happier than me if he started banging them in, trust me. 

Nobody would be happier than me if he started banging them in, trust me. 

I'd be **** delighted as I've seen him at his best. Just never has the consistency for this league.

Â