Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Not going to be pushed into a guilt trip of retracting or modifying what I've posted about him .  He's crap.  He may give a shit,  I give a shit but i'd still be totally crap up front for Villa and I'd accept that criticism ,  especially if i was a professional and it was my job.

Have I criticised him personally? No.  Do I not think he is a fan? No. 

Ive criticised his performance for the club I support and he supports and to be honest if I was being picked for Villa and knowing I was shit I wouldnt want to let the club down,  .  If I knew that basically my performance was affecting the team I follow I'd be doing something about it.  Gabby may be a nice bloke,  may be a top fan.  Not disputing any of that,  just dont want him in the team and if we can get any cash for him id be well up for that

I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that this was a response to my post.

I'm not critical of people being critical of his performances or his ability, I'm critical of those things too. What I'm critical and what got my goat was the increasing level of personal abuse directed towards him on various sites including abuse directly to him on social media. I find it disgusting for the previous reasons I mentioned.

Wanting him out the team or out the club is fair enough, abusing the bloke is not acceptable in my view not that I'm suggesting you have.

not a response to your post no, just a general feeling that seemed to be developing

Yeah, Gabby deserves our respect. A simple " I think its time he moved on" is kind of the appropriate tone to take with a guy who loves the club and has scored some important goals for us over a long career. I even have a problem with the flippant " He sucks" type comments. Hes a declining player, thats all. For me, its just kind of sad.

Been stealing a living for years. The party's over Gabby, time to put up or go. Close the door after you.

These posts are so so dumb. How exactly is he stealing a living? Interested to hear your thoughts on this.

-----

Also if youve ever made a personal attack on someone just because of football then you should have a hard look at yourself. (pretty much grow the **** up)

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 2

It is very sad that it has come to the point that Gabby seems badly affected by the abuse of some fans. Like others I think he is past his best but personal abuse of such a long service player is a disgrace. Over many years I have felt that generally the average Villa fan was fair minded and rational but in recent years more and more behave like the fans of the scum.

Sadly, Mike it seems its a generation thing, but I have to be careful here, I used to aim that chesnut at my dad.

It seems to me that " Wind ups and personal abuse seem to be the order of the day when it comes to Social Media, it seems convenient to be malicious and then when the same people are face to face with their victim they border on charming.....there is a word for it, it just alludes me at the moment.....oh yeah... cowards.

I would love to wager, if all these folk went face to face with Gabby, they would be all over him like a rash.....funny ole world isn't it?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

If fans think that players just set out to be poor on match day they are wrong....They all want to do well.....and all the money in their pay packet won't change how they perform.....It has to be intrinsic.....but on the day, if it ain't in there it won't come out and its no good asking the players why, even they don't know, because if they did, they would fix it.

They are human, not robots.

equally the modern day frustration from fans is.... they get paid enough, they should perform.....if it was only that easy.

We all get frustrated, because we want our team to do well......but supporting the players still is, in this is modern day as has been for decades the best solution for trying to get the team to win.

as I have said in some of my earlier posts.....many things in football have changed over the years, but some things never do......and supporting the team on match day and supporting the players particularly going through a difficult time with form, is one of them.

Yes, I think it's a *social media problem* as opposed to a specifically *Villa fan problem*. Social media seems to have made people angrier and with this belief that it's fine to harrass people and say things online you would never say to someone's face. 

• Like 2

Time for Gabby to be benched for a while and let some of the new lads get match time. He hasn't been at the races this season, and hasn't been at his best for a good few years. Fluffing the chances against Palace showed his confidence has gone and we need to be sticking those away in tight games when we are on top.

Interested to see who starts up front today as I think there will be a lot of chances created so hopefully someone can get amongst the goals.

I want to see more of Ayew as I think he could be a decent player given a run in the team.

It is very sad that it has come to the point that Gabby seems badly affected by the abuse of some fans. Like others I think he is past his best but personal abuse of such a long service player is a disgrace. Over many years I have felt that generally the average Villa fan was fair minded and rational but in recent years more and more behave like the fans of the scum.

It's worth remembering the Internet is still only a small sample of fans.

Believe it or not but not everyone in the Holte end today will be a memeber of VT or H&V, plenty of over 50s who don't use the Internet so they'll be oblivious to this let's boo Agbonlahor out of Aston Villa campaign.

We've seen before when he's on the bench and we're struggling, the Gabby chant starts rumbling from the Holte around the 60 minute mark so could see the same today if he's there,.

Sadly, Mike it seems its a generation thing, but I have to be careful here, I used to aim that chesnut at my dad.

It seems to me that " Wind ups and personal abuse seem to be the order of the day when it comes to Social Media, it seems convenient to be malicious and then when the same people are face to face with their victim they border on charming.....there is a word for it, it just alludes me at the moment.....oh yeah... cowards.

I would love to wager, if all these folk went face to face with Gabby, they would be all over him like a rash.....funny ole world isn't it?

Speaking from personal experience, this is exactly the case. I suffered weeks of abuse online, I won't go into it - but these people (in real life) are really nice (one is mid 40s, manager of a big retail store near here!), but online they think trolling is fun and abuse is banter.

Yes, I think it's a *social media problem* as opposed to a specifically *Villa fan problem*. Social media seems to have made people angrier and with this belief that it's fine to harrass people and say things online you would never say to someone's face. 

It is so much easier to insult someone remotely than face to face. A viciousness has crept into society, together with a callousness about people and their feelings, and that seems to be what turns people into keyboard warriors. When you using whatever media you use, and this is what I try to do, have the mindset that you are talking to a person or persons, and couch your posts accordingly. There is absolutely no reason for insulting posts about Agbonlahor or any other player. A reasoned critique of performances is much more effective.

Spot on.

Rate him or not this is no way to treat such a long standing servant.

TBH I do think its a small minority.

Just to clarify, what personal abuse has he been subjected to?

You don't have to go further than this thread for people wishing he was injured, pulling out stuff about his mom or telling him he's nothing but shit. I think sadly the answer to your question is anywhere that fans have been asked to submit an opinion. 

I don't think it's necessarily personal abuse, it's more way over the top criticism as people who don't rate him get frustrated that they can't change the minds of people that do. Phrases like "waste of space", "stealing a living", "league 1 at best", "never a footballer", "bench is too good for Gabby" etc get banded about by the same people that claim "it's nothing personal, I just don't think he's good enough for us". Well, say that then!

There's a big difference between saying "I don't think he's good enough for us any more" to "he's nothing more than a sprinter, never a footballer and he's been stealing a living for years, time to go Gabby, let's cancel his contract and he could get picked up by Tranmere or someone, although they may be a bit above him", and if you can't see that then you must be an ostrich!

I still think he is good enough for us. The first few games he's been as bad as I can remember him being, but since Sherwood came in he's been pretty decent, not a world beater for sure, but good enough for a mid table team. People have to remember for this season this is basically a new team, and it's not just the new players that need to get used to playing with new teammates.

I also feel that this season starting earlier seems to have had an impact on the league, I'd say 50% of all players aren't fully fit and that's resulted in some odd results - Chelsea being rubbish, Leicester looking like Champions etc. I think after the international break something resembling "normal" service will resume and after that is when players should start being analysed more

I don't rate him (as things stand), but wouldn't be against him staying at the club, but not as a regular.

Some time out of the first team might do him good. Also I wouldn't be adverse to him coming on around 70 mins to chase down the ball and hassle tired defenders.

• Like 1

It is so much easier to insult someone remotely than face to face. A viciousness has crept into society, together with a callousness about people and their feelings, and that seems to be what turns people into keyboard warriors. When you using whatever media you use, and this is what I try to do, have the mindset that you are talking to a person or persons, and couch your posts accordingly. There is absolutely no reason for insulting posts about Agbonlahor or any other player. A reasoned critique of performances is much more effective.

**** off you smelly clearing in the woods...

(I genuinely hope you get a lid on your body odour issues, thinking of you bro)...

I've been accused of being a bully on this site. Maybe at times I've pushed the banter a bit far but Christ, I look out at the rest of the internet and wonder where the **** did we all go so wrong. It makes me sad, it's why VT is the only form of social media I'll touch these days, a moderated form, which in itself makes the liberal in me die a little inside.

Human beings simply cannot control themselves. They are selfish, ignorant, childish and weak. I don't mind if we die out soon and leave the universe to it, after I've had my run that is!

Â