Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Gabby has been terrible overall for the past few seasons, and he's flipping infuriating sometimes, but last weekend was definitely one of his better performances. Held the ball up well and showed some often missing intelligence to wait before squaring to Gil.

Does 6/10 imply 'utterly atrocious'?

No, but it certainly doesn't imply very good. I'm simply highlighting the nonsense within the ratings you've used to ridicule my opinion.

Il tell you what I saw. I saw gabby setting up our 2nd goal which was very good.

After that, I saw a professional footballer on over 60k a week struggling to control a football. 

Carles Gil was the only one who really played well.

Lescott and richards (probably our 2nd and 3rd best players) contributed to the pathetic last 25 minutes. 

Grealish scored a good goal but was otherwise largely ineffective.

Amavi was decent at times, questionable at others.

Sinclair and westwood were largely ineffective throughout. 

Gabby was worse than all of them.

In fact, when I think about it, but for Carles gil, we'd have probably been comfortably beaten. He literally had a hand in everything good. 

I'm going to limit myself to this reply, because you've obviously made your mind up, but let's look at this again:

Il tell you what I saw. I saw gabby setting up our 2nd goal which was very good.

After that, I saw a professional footballer on over 60k a week struggling to control a football. 

What did you see before his assist? If you were watching carefully, you would have seen him create three other goalscoring opportunities. In total, he created 50% of our chances during the game. Note, though, that I'm not saying he played brilliantly. Indeed, earlier in the thread I gave a nuanced assessment, pointing out that his assist was good but that he lost his man for their second goal, and that that was in large part his fault. However, also note that I don't need him to have been brilliant for my argument, simply better than 'utterly atrocious', which is what I'm calling you out on. 

He wasn't 'utterly atrocious'. Pretty much nobody else watching the game came to that conclusion, including 11 football writers I've already quoted, and everybody else on this thread bar one person. 

Assist? Strictly speaking yes, if you consider passing to a player 25 yards from goal an assist. I just saw a guy sprint in a straight line unopposed and then make a successful 10yard square pass. When actual skill was required he ruined a tap in for Sinclair.

• Like 1

When actual skill was required he ruined a tap in for Sinclair.

Did he shout "Not with the left foot" when he laid it on a plate for him?

When was the last time you (i) ate from a plate (ii) played soccer? ... because that was a crap cross. It should have been played earlier and then when he took all that extra time to be careful, it would have been nice to put it where the player could be expected to get it. I wasn't even slightly surprised though, par for the course with Gabby these days.

When actual skill was required he ruined a tap in for Sinclair.

Did he shout "Not with the left foot" when he laid it on a plate for him?

When was the last time you (i) ate from a plate (ii) played soccer? ... because that was a crap cross. It should have been played earlier and then when he took all that extra time to be careful, it would have been nice to put it where the player could be expected to get it. I wasn't even slightly surprised though, par for the course with Gabby these days.

I'd expect a striker to put that away nine times out of ten, he went with the wrong foot and didn't reach it. 

Does 6/10 imply 'utterly atrocious'?

No, but it certainly doesn't imply very good. I'm simply highlighting the nonsense within the ratings you've used to ridicule my opinion.

Carles Gil was the only one who really played well.

Lescott and richards (probably our 2nd and 3rd best players) contributed to the pathetic last 25 minutes. 

Grealish scored a good goal but was otherwise largely ineffective.

Amavi was decent at times, questionable at others.

Sinclair and westwood were largely ineffective throughout. 

Gabby was worse than all of them.

In fact, when I think about it, but for Carles gil, we'd have probably been comfortably beaten. He literally had a hand in everything good. 

I'm going to limit myself to this reply, because you've obviously made your mind up, but let's look at this again:

What did you see before his assist? If you were watching carefully, you would have seen him create three other goalscoring opportunities. In total, he created 50% of our chances during the game. Note, though, that I'm not saying he played brilliantly. Indeed, earlier in the thread I gave a nuanced assessment, pointing out that his assist was good but that he lost his man for their second goal, and that that was in large part his fault. However, also note that I don't need him to have been brilliant for my argument, simply better than 'utterly atrocious', which is what I'm calling you out on. 

He wasn't 'utterly atrocious'. Pretty much nobody else watching the game came to that conclusion, including 11 football writers I've already quoted, and everybody else on this thread bar one person. 

sorry the word after should be 'apart'. That assist for Sinclair for example was garbage. Wouldn't be surprised if hr shot tbh.

Perhaps the words 'utterly atrocious' are a bit harsh you're right. It was far from an acceptable performance from a 60k a week player and captain of our club.

I am not a big fan of Gabby but recognize he is trying and think he was OK last game.  But for me he has to start scoring again soon - he's a striker and, while his other attributes are helpful, his job is to put the ball in the net.  If he doesn't do that he needs to be dropped IMO.

Should be fourth choice behind Ayew, Gestede and Kozak.

Gabby has proven season in season out he is not good enough. Time to give other players decent spells in the side to prove they are worthy of playing for the club.

I'm worried you might have to change your name come the end of the week. 

Continues to get picked despite how shite he is and i'm sick of it

A striker leading the line is meant to score goals he does not and needs to be dropped

It shouldn't be like previous seasons where he was automatic first choice every game because there was nobody better 

We have thrown money up the wall on strikers who are not getting game time because of this bird brain who continues to get picked and serves up the same old dross every game i'm really getting fed up of it tbh

Edited by AshVilla

Â