Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

The irony of all this is that he was being commended by some fans recently for keeping his face out of the gutter press. 

He is not the only bloke in the world to get caught out shagging about. At least he isn't smashing people faces in like Gerrard or doing a Ched Evans

I thought he was our worst player on Sunday, was close between him and Bacuna.  There were times when he literally just mis-controlled the ball which is not acceptable for a PL striker.  I'd put Sinclair upfront and play Traore, Gil and Grealish behind him.

God knows why he spent half the time fighting with their cb's instead of running in behind.

far from it imho

Don't know what happened to him in the second half

I thought his main attribute was meant to be pace and it was to terrify defenders into thinking he can get in behind them

The Leicester back four were practically parked on our half way line for the majority of the 2nd half on Sunday i know they had to go for broke as they were 2 - 0 down but i thought Gabby should have carried more of a threat considering he is meant to thrive off defenders playing a high line and play off the shoulders of CB's?

Edited by AshVilla

It all went downhill when he started to think he could become a target man. He doesn't use his main asset nearly enough which is just plain daft. If I was fast as shit I would be trying to get behind and expose slow CBs all day long instead of trying to back into them and hold the ball up even though my technique is terrible.

What happened to Gaby? Watching him when he was a lot lighter you'd swear he was going to be a great player. My view is that he has fallen victim of us just playing crap football season after season. Is he one of those players that only looks good when the team does?

depends how he is used, playing alongside Carew was when he was best. he used to run the channels and Carew created the havoc down the middle. mind you I suppose your game always looks better when you have Barry, Milner and Young behind you. it is fair to say our support cast has been largely shite

Was very uncomfortable watching him. Almost felt sorry for him. It no longer looked like minimal skill coupled with a lack of effort. It looked like a complete lack of any footballing ability whatsoever. He couldn't control the ball.

Good work for our 2nd goal but other than that, he was utterly atrocious. Sadly, we don't have much in reserve.

I see the revisionism of what was a pretty good performance by Gabby has begun. He was by no means brilliant, but he was more than good enough to merit a starting place and a threat throughout - we lost the ability for the ball to stick up front when he went off and it contributed (along with the removal of our midfield) to our defeat. Woody, if you felt sorry for him, I hope you get to feel sorry for him a lot more in future.

• Like 1

Was very uncomfortable watching him. Almost felt sorry for him. It no longer looked like minimal skill coupled with a lack of effort. It looked like a complete lack of any footballing ability whatsoever. He couldn't control the ball.

Good work for our 2nd goal but other than that, he was utterly atrocious. Sadly, we don't have much in reserve.

I've been critical of him on these pages plenty of times, but honestly you undermine your credibility when you use words like 'utterly atrocious' to describe that performance. It wasn't anything of the sort. 

• Like 1

I've been critical of him on these pages plenty of times, but honestly you undermine your credibility when you use words like 'utterly atrocious' to describe that performance. It wasn't anything of the sort. 

It was in my opinion. That ok? 

I see the revisionism of what was a pretty good performance by Gabby has begun. He was by no means brilliant, but he was more than good enough to merit a starting place and a threat throughout - we lost the ability for the ball to stick up front when he went off and it contributed (along with the removal of our midfield) to our defeat. Woody, if you felt sorry for him, I hope you get to feel sorry for him a lot more

I see the revisionism of what was a pretty good performance by Gabby has begun. He was by no means brilliant, but he was more than good enough to merit a starting place and a threat throughout - we lost the ability for the ball to stick up front when he went off and it contributed (along with the removal of our midfield) to our defeat. Woody, if you felt sorry for him, I hope you get to feel sorry for him a lot more in future.

What happened to Gaby? Watching him when he was a lot lighter you'd swear he was going to be a great player. My view is that he has fallen victim of us just playing crap football season after season. Is he one of those players that only looks good when the team does?

Don't know what happened to him in the second half

I thought his main attribute was meant to be pace and it was to terrify defenders into thinking he can get in behind them

The Leicester back four were practically parked on our half way line for the majority of the 2nd half on Sunday i know they had to go for broke as they were 2 - 0 down but i thought Gabby should have carried more of a threat considering he is meant to thrive off defenders playing a high line and play off the shoulders of CB's?

OUT BY EASTER;

You surely cant be serious!  can you?  watching villa since 1975 with all due respect that was no more than average imo

I'm not saying he was outstanding Ash or Dave (not sure who asked on the quoting) but he was amongst our better players in the first half and although he was tiring, he was doing a decent job - not great, but not bad, I didn't feel sorry for him as he was out of his depth and neither did pretty much anyone else on match day.

There's a pattern, on match day and just after there's a begrudging "Well he wasn't hopeless I suppose" and then about four or five days later it turns into "He was an embarrassment" or "hopeless" or "a championship player" and then he plays again and he's not that bad and people go back to "Well he wasn't hopeless I suppose" before the cycle repeats - as that goes on, the idea builds that Gabby has been hopeless in every game he's played this season, when in actuality, he's been about average compared to the rest of them - and better than some against Leicester and in general.

Judgement of Gabby and performances of Gabby have become increasingly unlinked I think.

• Like 2

It was in my opinion. That ok? 

Of course it's okay (why the aggressive tone?). For the record, here are someother people's opinions (picked the first 11 I found):

Daily Mail - 7

Sky Sports - 6

Sports Mole - 5 ('Lively opening as he bid to justify his selection following a rough start to the season, but ultimately failed')

Daily Mirror - 7 ('Superb run and lay-off to tee up Villa's second')

Independent - 7 ('Demonstrated maturity as well as pace on his return to the team')

Goal - 5 ('Tried to get in behind the back four, but struggled with the physicality of Morgan and Huth. Didn't have any real chances.')

90min.com - 6 ('Decent in attack and set up Gil's goal with some nice vision')

Eurosport - 6

Express & Star - 6

7500toHolte - 6 ('It was a great decision . . . to start Gabby in this match . . . Gabby played very well, overwhelming the slower Leicester defenders with his pace and giving Villa an attacking edge . . . Villa created eight total chances in this match, and four were from Agbonlahor')

HITC - 6.5 ('The long-standing striker has endured a fair amount of criticism after a poor start to the season but he was much better on this occasion, teeing up Villa's second after a great run and creating at least three other scoring chances with his pace on the counter-attack.')

etc, etc, etc. 

A range of reactions there, from more to less complimentary, but none that are even close to 'utterly atrocious'. Your opinion, on this occasion, was reactionary drivel, and I reserve the right to point that out. 

• Like 1

Out by Easter;

i think you'll find my view is fairly consistent and very unlikely to change to be honest with you, as IMO he can't change. What we see is what we'll get going forward.

Exactly my point, your opinion is absolutely consistent and doesn't seem to change dependent on how well or badly he performs. 

Does 6/10 imply 'utterly atrocious'?

No, but it certainly doesn't imply very good. I'm simply highlighting the nonsense within the ratings you've used to ridicule my opinion.

Il tell you what I saw. I saw gabby setting up our 2nd goal which was very good.

After that, I saw a professional footballer on over 60k a week struggling to control a football. 

Carles Gil was the only one who really played well.

Lescott and richards (probably our 2nd and 3rd best players) contributed to the pathetic last 25 minutes. 

Grealish scored a good goal but was otherwise largely ineffective.

Amavi was decent at times, questionable at others.

Sinclair and westwood were largely ineffective throughout. 

Gabby was worse than all of them.

In fact, when I think about it, but for Carles gil, we'd have probably been comfortably beaten. He literally had a hand in everything good. 

Â