Gabby Agbonlahor

R.Bear

Lieutenant? Gabby will get you the sack mate, I worry for Tim and us if he cannot see that.

Here, Here, lets just hope it's a way of softening the blow before benching him. Although i'm not entirely sure this is the case. And like you this worries me a great deal.

The irony here, Tim, is those losers who you talked about last season...well this new lieutenant of yours, he's one of the biggest losers out the lot.

A regular player and goal scorer in a team that pushed for top 4.

He's lost his way for various reasons but he's shown he's capable of playing at a higher level.

It's good to see the manager try to lift a player who must be at a pretty low ebb at the moment - good management.

Got no choice has he? What's the alternative, can't ostracise him after making him 'club captain' (whatever that means) and knows he won't be able to sell him in the next 24 hours. I doubt Tim's any more happy about what Gabby has put on social media than Gabby is with what the fans are saying tbh.

It's good to see the manager try to lift a player who must be at a pretty low ebb at the moment - good management.

I agree.

As for Gabby being one of the biggest losers at the club what a load of bullshit. The guy was the only outfield player that Sherwood inherited from the team that was pushing top 4 for three seasons. For me Gabby has suffered more than most due to some poor managerial appointments and negative tactics from recent managers. Under McLeish and Lambert he spent much of the last 4 seasons out wide being told his main concern should be protecting our full back rather than getting forward.

He certainly has to take responsibility for some poor performances but I always feel Gabby puts a shift in and gives 100%. His goal record is used as a stick to beat him with but a better than 1 in 4 goal record for a player who has played 3/4 of his games out wide is more than decent. He has also scored some crucial goals for us in big games some of which without them we'd have dropped.

He clearly still has a role to play. I would have much rather he'd have played on Saturday than Bacuna. Hopefully when he is back from illness/injury the competition for a forward place, something he hasn't had for years, and the positive approach of the manager, again something he hasn't had in a manager for years, will bring the best out of him.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Got no choice has he? What's the alternative, can't ostracise him after making him 'club captain' (whatever that means) and knows he won't be able to sell him in the next 24 hours. I doubt Tim's any more happy about what Gabby has put on social media than Gabby is with what the fans are saying tbh.

I would think that the club will be rallying around Gabby - he's been the subject of a pretty nasty campaign, led by the Evening Mail who have followed some of the stuff on social media and forums and used it to drum up some sales and make some fuss. The amount of criticism he's taken in relation to his form over three games has been appalling - it seems clear to me that it's had an effect on the player and I'm not entirely sure that I buy the 'stomach bug' reasoning for his absence on Saturday.

That's not to say that I think he's playing well or that he doesn't need a kick up the arse from time to time, but I think the weight of criticism for a player who has been better than a couple of our other striking options this season has been disproportional. 

I think it's good management from Sherwood to try and life him and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he starts against Leicester.

• Like 1

The irony here, Tim, is those losers who you talked about last season...well this new lieutenant of yours, he's one of the biggest losers out the lot.

yep said it a few days ago, he's the epitome of it

Ok I'll bite.

In what way? The question is open to anyone who wishes to answer.

Ok I'll bite.

Doug, please! You've watched him enough now.

Ok I'll bite.

Doug, please! You've watched him enough now.

Clearly. But what makes him one of the biggest losers of the lot? Are we using "loser" as a school yard derogatory term because I'm pretty sure that's not what Sherwood meant.

So what makes Gabby the epitome of a loser? Playing in shit teams? Injuries and poor form? Because I am 100% sure Sherwood was talking about mentality, not ability or form.

I think it was bad management to make him club captain in the first place. Sherwood put himself in a situation in which Gabby has suddenly become more important than he was, and now "ows" him more playing time than he normally would. If Gabby really is a leader (which I don't think he is) then he doesn't need that title, either you make him captain or you just let him lead as "lieutenants" do in every other club. If he isn't, you simply don't make him club captain.

This way Sherwood gave an important role to one of our poorest players (certainly among those playin in attacking positions) and would look a bit foolish for not playing him.

I think it was bad management to make him club captain in the first place. Sherwood put himself in a situation in which Gabby has suddenly become more important than he was, and now "ows" him more playing time than he normally would. If Gabby really is a leader (which I don't think he is) then he doesn't need that title, either you make him captain or you just let him lead as "lieutenants" do in every other club. If he isn't, you simply don't make him club captain.

This way Sherwood gave an important role to one of our poorest players (certainly among those playin in attacking positions) and would look a bit foolish for not playing him.

I'd have to disagree, I don't think this has anything to do with the club captaincy and I certainly don't think the manager would be influenced by that in terms of who he picks for the team.

I think Gabby has taken an awful lot of stick, being the subject of the local paper two days in a week and insulted just about everywhere that people are able to add a comment must be difficult to live with for someone who's spent his whole life working for the club. I think it's bound to have had an effect and I think it's good management when the manager tries to lift someone who potentially will have a big say in how our season goes.

• Like 2

It matters not what Tim Sherwood says .....what Gabby himself says.....or for that matter, what we say....its all opinions that are formed for our own reasons and our own respective agendas.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.....what goes on, on match day will ultimately define that respective players reputation.....and whether he can cut it, that applies to the whole first team squad, not just Gabby Agbonlahor

There is one thing for sure, whether we have players that are work in progress, learning their trade, have confidence issues or any other reason for not producing the required standard ...... The league itself has no sympathy, its relentless and unforgiving.....We can come up with mitigation all day long.....but the league will eat you if you are not strong enough for it.....There is simply no hiding place in this arduous competition.

Whether some of these players are good enough or not (with a window about to close)..... we've got what we have and we must raise as much confidence as possible to withstand the rigours of this league.

I have empathy with both camps and I can see the arguments for and against, but now is not the time for in fighting,I would suspect with so many new young players with limited Premier league experience Gabby is important in the dressing room and disruption is the last thing any manager wants......He isn't going anywhere any how, so we must find a way to get the best out of him.

With Gabby going on Social Media, it is clear to me that TS and Gabby know whats being said by a section of fans, lets leave them be, to sort it in the way they know best, on the field, where we can all see it.

Â