Stan Petrov

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

No no no.

Yes we are in the shit. Yes we need to find committed players.  Yes most of our squad will go.  Yes he was a fans favourite.  But seriously?

I think people are letting sentiment blind them to reality.

Life threatening illness,  not played in 3 -4 years, nowhere near match fit and people expect him to play again for us in the championship? Is this where we are?

No No No

Well obviously he won't be signed if he's not match fit. It's not as if he signs, he gets put on the teamsheet and then we see if he can still make it from one end of the pitch to the other. He's going to see what sort of level of fitness he can get himself to this summer, then he'll do a medical in August and then both he and the club will make the call as to whether or not he's fit to return. He won't want to step onto that pitch if he can't play. If he thinks he can do 30 minutes against Rotherham, and have a place in the dressing room on the playing staff as well as the coaching staff, it's a great thing as far as I'm concerned. It would improve the atmosphere in the terraces, and it would make the players up their game. We've missed a leader like that. This season our captains have been Richards, Gabby and Lescott.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

If he's not good enough he won't be playing and will be a coach. Anything else?

This.

Sign him as a player coach. If he's not up to it, which I'd say is likely, then he sticks to the coaching. If he can contribute then he contributes.

In that situation I don't see a downside.

If we're signing Petrov to be our regular starting midfielder then that would be a different matter. But even we wouldn't be doing that.

• Like 2

Is it a 25 player squad in the Championship as well?

If so then this would be an even dumber idea.

Giving up a spot in the squad to a player who won't be able to play many minutes in a season where we have 46 league games + any cup matches.

We'll need a big squad without passengers, be it Gabby, N'Zogbia or even a very motivated former player in Petrov.

If the club feel we need him in the dressing room them make him a coach or something.

• Like 1

God I love this guy, what a true grit professional. But play football again, I'd be cringing every time someone went in hard on him.

If the others had only a sprinkling of Stans commitment, we would never have ended up taking the drop.

He definitely needs to remain at the club in some capacity though, if only as an example of what it is to play your heart out for that club.

• Like 2

At the very least he cares about this club and is professional. And he'd have gravitas in the dressing room because of his status.

I was surprised to hear his fitness was so good, I would never have thought that were possible. That in itself is a huge achievement and has altered my view a bit.

It would be an incredible story. But only if he is good enough.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't see the negative in this, he claims his fitness is back to where it was before the illness. He is a great guy with alot of influence and affinity for and from the club. He at least deserves a chance, If he is not one of the best he doesn't get picked, it's not rocket science. Plus he is free!

Can't say fairer than that.

• Like 1

He should definitely be given some part on the coaching staff. If someone like Stan can't motivate players then no-one can. 

And if there is'nt a post.....create one. 

Oh and Gabby, theres a new Mr Villa in town and this ones the real deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think a lot of the dressing are beyond even being inspired by Stan.  I'd love to see him come back and manage us one day though, same with Mellberg and Laursen.  Sadly I find it hard to see him come back as a player.

A lot of the current dressing room. Hopefully next season's dressing room will be different.

Hopefully :(

we may have some idiots in our team at the moment but I the past we have had some amazing players and men, not many more so than Stan. 

If he was ever to run out wearing the claret and blue again- even for a minute his acheivements would surpass more than most players could ever dream of. 

Great to have such a positive, inspiring story. Go on Stan! 

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Olaf ,  he loves the Villa what an attitude to have in the dressing room lets get him back too.

Ridiculous utterly ridiculous state of affairs

Yeah, how dare Petrov come out (of his own accord) and say he wants to play for us again. There's been nothing from the club. Only Stan himself at his OWN press conference.

Pretty silly outrage if you ask me,

Â