Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Olaf ,  he loves the Villa what an attitude to have in the dressing room lets get him back too.

Ridiculous utterly ridiculous state of affairs

Not really Richard.

If he's good enough and fit enough, it suits us.

Olaf is retired through choice. It's quite a lot different.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He already has a role in the coaching staff?

Sherwood got him in when he joined but  it didn't continue into this season.

Its another 9 months of building fitness but it's a big ask to go from that to professional football even in the second tier.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-legend-stiliyan-petrov-10009838

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah, how dare Petrov come out (of his own accord) and say he wants to play for us again. There's been nothing from the club. Only Stan himself at his OWN press conference.

Pretty silly outrage if you ask me,

Way to spectacularly miss the point.  I dont mind Petrov saying he wants to play for Villa,  feck I'll do a press conference and say I'd play for them too,  what I think is utterly ridiculous is that some fans actually think it is a serious possibility and would help us.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, YLN said:

As Leicester showed this season, it's more important to have players in the squad who know the club than it is to have £9 million signings, and considering we found a place for Joe Cole and N'Zogbia in the squad this season, I don't think it's that great of a consideration, unless we're raiding Crewe again.

Not sure how you can be so negative about merely the idea. 

But we were relegated, and I'm sure the places taken up by N'Zogbia and Cole could/should have been utilized better.

Not sure what Leicester or Kramaric has to do with a retired former player of ours. Gabby knows our club better than anyone, and he's crap.

Look we all like Stan, I thought he was somewhat overrated as a player, and as a scout he has a lees than 100% record, but we all like him.

The way he had to end his career was horrible, but at least he pulled through.

Him coming back to play for us is like the script from a Disney afternoon special.

Again, make him a coach or give him some function around the team, don't make him a player. We'll have to demand the same standards of him when he plays as from everyone else. And it will just break my heart to have him booed off the pitch after having been awful and off the pace when we lose to Birmingham or Wolves.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Way to spectacularly miss the point.  I dont mind Petrov saying he wants to play for Villa,  feck I'll do a press conference and say I'd play for them too,  what I think is utterly ridiculous is that some fans actually think it is a serious possibility and would help us.

Why is it utterly ridiculous?  There are plenty of 36/37 year old players still playing professionally - someone has already mentioned Joey Barton who looks like he'll be promoted to the Premier League with Burnley.

Petrov has the determination to get back to a decent standard of playing football and has about 3 months now to get himself fit enough to be a bit part player in our season.  He brings calmness and authority to our team - even if he's not a spring chicken.

If we're talking about a complete overhaul of the team, I'd be massively OK with Petrov coming in as a rotational midfielder.  Of course, assuming he makes the fitness grade.

"Utterly ridiculous" indeed.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

EDIT : You seem to be taking exception to the whole idea because of the likelyhood of it all happening being incredibly small.  No-one is saying it's likely to happen.  Just that in the teeny tiny chance that it would happen, it would be pretty cool and help us.  That's all.

No I'm taking exception because it is a ridiculous idea and I am,  frankly,  amazed that people are taking it serioulsy.  But hey ho each to his own I'll leave it there. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Richard said:

Yes, it's ridiculous that fans think that our former captain and a model professional might be able to help us by being a positive influence in the dressing room...

Whatever.

Would be a lovely story if it becomes a reality, and a bit of a fairytale if he leads us to promotion.

But, assuming thats not the case, this is just another example of the farcical PR and marketing etc. associated with us at the moment.

Can we please just have a media lockdown for the rest of the season and retain a little bit a dignity for the next few weeks. There is no reason why the club needs to do anything other than the bare minimum which the FA/Premier League require in terms of media duties. Other than that, the playing and non-playing staff should all be instructed to keep their mouths shut on TV/Radio, newspapers and online through Twitter etc.

While I can't speak for every fan, I think we've had quite enough for this season.

5 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Head over heart his career looked to be winding down long before he got sick. If he wants to train great, I'm sure some of the youngsters will benefit greatly, but as far as him doing a job for us on the pitch I don't see it.

This. His presence at the training ground would be good for morale and no doubt he would bring an air of professionalism but playing first team football is a big step!  I would love to see it but think it's very doubtful.  Top man for saying his priority is Villa though - refreshing to here amongst all the doom and gloom.

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yes, it's ridiculous that fans think that our former captain and a model professional might be able to help us by being a positive influence in the dressing room...

Whatever.

Well if that's the only criteria I'd rather we re-sign Kevin Richardson.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Petrov announced he wanted to play ON HIS OWN.

Will people please stop throwing this "PR" BS around?

I don't believe that he's made this announcement without anyone at the Club knowing about it. He's training with u21s, has a massive presence at the Club still and is obviously still very well connected. The fact they have tested his fitness suggests they are at least considering it (rightly or wrongly).

Very naive to think the Club was caught by surprise with this announcement.

3 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

I don't believe that he's made this announcement without anyone at the Club knowing about it. He's training with u21s, has a massive presence at the Club still and is obviously still very well connected. The fact they have tested his fitness suggests they are at least considering it (rightly or wrongly).

Very naive to think the Club was caught by surprise with this announcement.

Never said that they were caught by surprise, just that this clearly isn't some PR stunt cooked up by the club.

6 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Well if that's the only criteria I'd rather we re-sign Kevin Richardson.

Ridiculous comparison.

Come back as part of the club again for inspiration, motivation etc yes, but to play again, no, no, no and no.

I do not want to see the images and memories i have of Stan being tainted. In my mind i see him as a top Villa player. i want it to remain that way. Please Stan for your own sake dont do this, you have been through hell and have been out of the game too long and old father time will take its toll. You will have the press all over you like a rash and it will only end in tears.

Join the club as an ambassador, coach or any other role that gets you involved where you can have an influence, but please not on the pitch. 

45 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

Head over heart his career looked to be winding down long before he got sick. If he wants to train great, I'm sure some of the youngsters will benefit greatly, but as far as him doing a job for us on the pitch I don't see it.

So maybe he looked to as if he was winding down because he had leukaemia? He was obviously playing with it for a while before he realised. 

• Like 4

I can understand him thinking he wants to make up for lost time but at 36 he sounds a bit deluded. I would have thought it highly unlikely he would be able to play higher than non league now.

Â