Stan Petrov

LondonLax

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

in all the PR moves the club has done in last few months to get fans onsite this would be the lowest of the low. He hasnt played in nearly 5 seasons and it wouldnt be fair on anybody especially Petrov himself. He isnt going to say no if club offered him a role again

It looks as if Petrov himself has said he wants to play rather than the club going out and getting him. Given the state of our dressing room and lack of professionalism it'd hardly be "PR" bringing him back.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 3

I think he might bring some much needed professianalism and the right kind of experience and work ethics to the squad.

What kind of a player he is now we Just dont know but it looks like he wants to be a part of a solution. 

Stan returning as a player won't happen nor should it. This would be a terrible move for all parties involved and would actually make problems worse. This off season we need a complete overhaul and there is no room unfortunately for sentimental gestures. We need a clean break and start again. I think Stan is thinking with his heart rather than his head.

I must admit when I first heard he wants to play for us again I thought sorry Stan ur having a laugh. Then I thought again, people can achieve extraordinary things, especially when they have massive heart. Stan has beaten leukaemia ffs. Stranger things have happened. He should at least be given the opportunity to prove he can make a positive contribution.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Stan returning as a player won't happen nor should it. This would be a terrible move for all parties involved and would actually make problems worse. This off season we need a complete overhaul and there is no room unfortunately for sentimental gestures. We need a clean break and start again. I think Stan is thinking with his heart rather than his head.

Nothing to do with sentiment....he is simply better than what we currently have!

If he is declared medically fit, declared safe to play, can be insured and is up to the task then why the hell not as a player/coach?

It shouldn't be done for sentimental reasons BUT if he is assessed as fit, capable and better than what we have then I'm all for it.

If he returns it doesn't have to be a first team player, who'd be expected to carry the load of 46 games in the championship. If he could manage 20-25 appearances, most of them as a sub to give the team a lift when needed that would still be great for all parties. His presence in the locker room would be invaluable, especially if there are more young players in the team next season.

Moreover, him being as fit as he can be would be beneficial for his long term health. 

• Like 1

It's impossible to say what level he'd be at playing-wise but IF he's at a good enough level then he'd be a great person to bring on to calm heads if we're trying to see out a game.

I just can't see that many negatives to this? Even if we barely use him he'll still be a great influence.

I would much rather have a 36 year old who's legs may have gone but WANTS to play for our club, than any of the dross we have at the moment who are just using AVFC as a stepping stone/final pay day/holiday. You can't train pride, heart and character into a player, and that is something we have been missing for a long time now. It may be a long shot for Stan to get back to playing professionally, but he has my backing all day long.

Would love this to happen - it would be an amazing story to underpin our renaissance next season.

When Villa played Bohemians in preseason a few years back you could hear him talk Albrighton through the whole game - he was constantly yapping at him and then applauding him. Everything we don't have right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenko#4 said:

I would much rather have a 36 year old who's legs may have gone but WANTS to play for our club, than any of the dross we have at the moment who are just using AVFC as a stepping stone/final pay day/holiday. You can't train pride, heart and character into a player, and that is something we have been missing for a long time now. It may be a long shot for Stan to get back to playing professionally, but he has my backing all day long.

That's true, but there is a 3rd choice which is that I'd rather have a player who wants to play for our club and whose legs have not gone.  "At least he's not Bacuna" is not enough justification to include someone next season IMO.

• Like 2

Â