Stan Petrov

LondonLax

It is nice to hear but I hope the story doesn't move too quickly. It is just Stan's intentions at the moment. I don't even know if Villa have been asked yet so there are many hurdles before Stan could possibly come back. But I think we are all rooting for him, even just for some positive news coming out of Villa. This and Little coming back have been about it since January.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't actually say that at all though.

In fact he doesn't even say he's going to play with Villa. Just that he wants to play at a higher level, he's training with the u21s and that Villa get the "first look". 

The interview very much suggests, to me, that he is expecting a lower level than Villa.

A lower level than Villa? Even a 36 year old Petrov ravaged by years of serious illness is still probably several levels above our current crop of midfielders!

Delighted to hear this news today though. Very happy for him.

• Like 1

They should give Stan a run out, if he's still got it then why not. But I imagine the last thing he wants is to be humoured and kept around as some sort of motivational mascot. But I think I'd rather have Gareth Barry back. 

3 hours ago, Woodytom said:

No I was saying (tongue in cheek) that he wouldn't need to be fully fit to get in this team.

I got that, eventually. I don't think you phrased it very well, hence the confusion.

It sounded like you were saying you weren't sure why Stan waited so long to fully recover form cancer :)

• Like 1

I've requested the odds on Stan making a league appearance for Villa next season.

I bet any of you lot the odds I'm given (if they accept it) are less than 5000/1.

That doesn't say much for how likely it is to happen, but it does say that much less likely things have happened.

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

They should give Stan a run out, if he's still got it then why not. But I imagine the last thing he wants is to be humoured and kept around as some sort of motivational mascot. But I think I'd rather have Gareth Barry back. 

No need to humor him, even now after his illness I bet he can leave Gabby and N`Zombie for dead.

No reason why he can't play a bit part for a season. Most players at 36 are knackered because they've been playing constantly in their 30's, accumulating wear and tear physically and racking up injuries etc. Petrov's been seriously ill, which I'm sure had an affect at the time but if he's recovered and gets his fitness back he might be in decent shape. Look at George foreman, he wouldnt have won the title at 45 if he had boxed constantly. Instead he had 10 years off from 28-38 yrs old. A few other athletes with bad places in life/injury problems have had a hiatus for years only to come back, granted nobody I can think of with cancer aside From Armstrong, but it would be a bloody inspirational story to everyone.

Â