Stan Petrov

LondonLax

My enduring memory of Petrov's playing days are that he was regularly subbed off with about 15 minutes to go for Steve Sidwell.....

... because he had covered so much ground and put so much effort in, there was nothing left in the tank already.

What I wouldn't give to see any of our current crop of players do that.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I got that, eventually. I don't think you phrased it very well, hence the confusion.

It sounded like you were saying you weren't sure why Stan waited so long to fully recover form cancer :)

Christ no. Yeah perhaps I did word it poorly. Apologies.

I'm a rambling imbecile, not some kind of sicko :rolleyes:

• Like 2

We've got this guy willing to play football for the club he loves after his illness and then you have Okore refusing to be on the bench. Stan is a legend! More people with this sort of passion and fight and there is no way we would have been relegated! Will be such a great occasion to see him return on the pitch if it happens! UTV

• Like 1

On 27/04/2016 at 15:45, srsmithusa said:

I have Leukemia as well (different form).  Petrov and I compared symptoms in a brief chat once.  One thing I can assure you, his red blood count was dropping long before he had a diagnosis.  That means his ability to move oxygen to his cells was decreasing.  He had nothing left in the tank because he ran himself into the ground while his body was not moving oxygen to his muscles as efficiently as it should.  Courage, Strength of will, and character.  Exactly what we are missing now.  Exactly what makes him a legend.  I'm thrilled he's training. 

I will also say that going back into training after chemotherapy is a heroic act of will, as well.

I'm thrilled he's training.  I hope he is able to contribute more as time goes on as a player, a role-model, and a mentor.  

Especially when in his last game for us he was our best player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

To be honest I think they need to give him a contract for at least next season, regardless of how much he does or doesn't play, he'd be an excellent influence in the dressing room; something that we have been sorely lacking during this diabolical campaign.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

To be honest I think they need to give him a contract for at least next season, regardless of how much he does or doesn't play, he'd be an excellent influence in the dressing room; something that we have been sorely lacking during this diabolical campaign.

I agree, even as a sub option. He has more heart than all our current CMs combined

On 27/04/2016 at 15:45, srsmithusa said:

I have Leukemia as well (different form).  Petrov and I compared symptoms in a brief chat once.  One thing I can assure you, his red blood count was dropping long before he had a diagnosis.  That means his ability to move oxygen to his cells was decreasing.  He had nothing left in the tank because he ran himself into the ground while his body was not moving oxygen to his muscles as efficiently as it should.  Courage, Strength of will, and character.  Exactly what we are missing now.  Exactly what makes him a legend.  I'm thrilled he's training. 

I will also say that going back into training after chemotherapy is a heroic act of will, as well.

I'm thrilled he's training.  I hope he is able to contribute more as time goes on as a player, a role-model, and a mentor.  

Hope all goes well for you, srs.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, Stan - I don't mean to piss on your bonfire, but I don't think it's worth coming back. I'm delighted that he's got himself back in shape and he beat the illness. It's a fantastic achievement. 

Stan couldn't keep up in a lot of games at the peak of his career, I can't see him being ready for a slog of a season. 

• Like 1

Â