Stan Petrov

LondonLax

By all means let him train and be around the players, I'm all for that. But let it end with that,

The big thing I like with this story is that it is a huge insult to the current players at the club.

A 36 year old (37 by the start of next season) 4 years retired, acute leukemia survivor thinks he still could offer something that the current lot doesn't.

If that's not a scathing critique I don't know what is :)

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, sne said:

A 36 year old (37 by the start of next season) 4 years retired, acute leukemia survivor thinks he still could offer something that the current lot doesn't.

He doesn't actually say that at all though.

In fact he doesn't even say he's going to play with Villa. Just that he wants to play at a higher level, he's training with the u21s and that Villa get the "first look". 

The interview very much suggests, to me, that he is expecting a lower level than Villa.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

He doesn't actually say that at all though.

In fact he doesn't even say he's going to play with Villa. Just that he wants to play at a higher level, he's training with the u21s and that Villa get the "first look". 

The interview very much suggests, to me, that he is expecting a lower level than Villa.

Well that would be about 25 pages in this thread today wasted about nothing :)

Best of luck to him thou

Best Villa news I've heard in a long time.

Don't expect him to be up to playing football at Championship level but what the hell do I know. Just seeing him play football at league level would be fantastic. He was such a professional player and leader for us, always loved him. 

My issue is his awareness....

Not sure why he's waited so long to fully recover to be confident he could get a game.

I'd have had him over these chumps all season. He'd have given me the bare minimum that I'm looking for.

15 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

My issue is his awareness....

Not sure why he's waited so long to fully recover to be confident he could get a game.

I'd have had him over these chumps all season. He'd have given me the bare minimum that I'm looking for.

He's only just recently been recovering from leukemia FFS.

Even if he only plays a few games.... super sub if you like... maybe a few cup matches while we are concentrating on league games.... you cannot underestimate 2 things 

1. He has more bottle than the entire current squad put together.

2. He is the last player we've had that comes close to a villa legend.

He plays one season, we get back up, he retires and becomes full time coach.

If he isn't up to it we dont play him but even his influence around the club would help... 

We are in the championship now, we cannot get in 25 new players for next season. A reasonably fit Petrov gets in ahead of quite a few muppets in the current team.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Sack Zoggy and Gabby now and give Stan their wages.....I would really love that to happen!

I love Stan but not sure he is worth £120k a week though:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Villan_of_oz

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

A frantic championship match is a completely different scenario to just training.

Plenty of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches aswell, how often would he realistically be available at his age?

Exactly.  So if he can play an hour in one of those 3 games, he helps out rotation of the team.

I don't think anyone would expect him to be first name on the team sheet, every game.

I would love Stan back and I don't care if he costs 120k a week.

The professionalism and experience he would bring to the team is worth more than the cost.

At a time when morale is low why not give it a go what else have we got to lose.

Please Stan prove your fitness and come back to the Villa

• Like 2

Â