Stan Petrov

LondonLax

I don't see how anybody can say that he will or won't be able to do this, or why his attempt at coming back is a concern for some?

He has trained. He must have done well enough to think this is even a remote possibility. His fitness and form in preseason training will lead to either some game time or his release. He won't get anywhere near a contract unless he plays well and that's a mile away. He will only get a squad number if the new manager feels he can contribute enough to make it worthwhile. 

There is absolutely nothing to be negative about with this one. Would be amazing to see it happen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Razor said:

I can understand him thinking he wants to make up for lost time but at 36 he sounds a bit deluded. I would have thought it highly unlikely he would be able to play higher than non league now.

Why, out of interest?

I get that he's aged since he last played. But if his fitness is back to where it was pre-illness, like he says it is, then I don't see why he couldn't play professionally again. That might not be for Aston Villa, but I don't see how people can say he can't do it, or won't play higher than non league.

Granted he hasn't got long left in a professional career if he does come back, but it's not like he's 45. 

• Like 1

How many 36 year olds are there playing that haven't had any fitness issues throughout their career? Most players have retired by that age. Recovering from leukemia and then not playing for years it just seems so unrealistic to think he could still hack it at a good level

Yep, I agree, there's nothing to lose here. If he makes it and can play a part then it will be an amazing achievement. His influence could be a real shot in the arm for us. 

If he doesn't make the grade then we've lost nothing. 

I'd bloody love it if he does though. 

It's worth noting that Stan sounds very realistic about this. If you read the whole interview, he's not saying he's definitely going to come back. Just that he's going to try and play at a higher level.

He seems fully prepared for it not to work, but just wants to try. He doesn't even say he's going to play for Villa, just that he's training with the u21s

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, heid3ster said:

I see zero downside to this at all.

how about embarrassment, ridiculed in the press, playing as shite Richardson, Le$$co££, Bacuna, admitting it was a big mistake

3 minutes ago, imavillan said:

how about embarrassment, ridiculed in the press, playing as shite Richardson, Le$$co££, Bacuna, admitting it was a big mistake

None of those things are going to happen. 

Fantastic he beat cancer.

Getting him properly involved in the club again should be a serious consideration.

Coming back as a player though....not for me. He last played over 4 years ago, you see players out for 6 months through injury who take ages to get up to the pace of things. 

A frantic championship match is a completely different scenario to just training.

Plenty of Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday matches aswell, how often would he realistically be available at his age?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

You're making all of that up, though. None of those things have happened. It's at least as likely that he will be the leader on the pitch we've been needing, that he will be a steady calming influence for our younger players, and that he'll inject a stronger mentality to our squad. So why become angry at one possibility and ignore the other?

None of us have a crystal ball. If he isn't fit enough or isn't capable, he won't make the team. But if he does play, he will show a hell of a lot more desire and fight than the three useless wasters that you mentioned.

Edited by heid3ster

7 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Then we should all stand back and applaud the man that he wasn't scared of giving it a go just because there was a (pretty good) chance that he might not succeed, not ridicule him for not being the player he once was or thought he could be again - all in his desire to help the club that he loves.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't see the negative in this, he claims his fitness is back to where it was before the illness. He is a great guy with alot of influence and affinity for and from the club. He at least deserves a chance, If he is not one of the best he doesn't get picked, it's not rocket science. Plus he is free!

This post nails it for me.  It will cost us little, he will have a positive influence in the squad and IF he reaches the required level we have an experienced leader in the squad.  If he doesn't reach the required level so be it, we don't play him and he can move on to another role or another club if he chooses. He deserves a chance. 

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced he has it in him to make a successful comeback but I'm willing to give him every chance and then some. Shit, if the guy needs a lift to Bodymoor then I'll probably find time to offer my services.  Having a guy like Stan on the training field would be a boost for the squad and if he somehow did make it back then it would be a truly glorious moment. 

• Like 4

Â