Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Always hoped we see him in the shirt again even though I knew it could probably never happen.

Sad day but very happy he'll be doing the lap of honour after the game.

Usually a lot of fans don't bother hanging around for it. I'll be surprised if many leave this year.

Lovely statement from Stan, that. I think most of us were expecting it, I know I was, honestly it is a relief that he is announcing his retirement at a time when he is in remission, and when the worst of his treatment is over. His time is for his family now, not for football. The timing is perfect, and I look forward to seeing him off at VP on Saturday.

Sad to see him retire, but like people have already stated on the thread his time is now with his family after getting over the worst, not in football. Villa legend, retire #19

Edited by Avflife

Really sad to see him officially retire. It will be an amazing feeling if we get 40000+ for the Chelsea game and we can give stan a great send off, both in the 19th minute and during the lap of the pitch at the end. Hope he stays at the club in some capacity.

Great player, great man and a great professional. Some one who every young player should look up too.

I was never really a fan of Petrov on the pitch until he wasn't there anymore.

I continually criticised him for not being decisive enough in the pass or indeed scoring enough goals but i was totally ignorant of the type of player he was and certainly ignorant of his importance to the team, that is until he wasn't there anymore.

We missed him badly this season. We needed what he did best. Leadership on the pitch, his ability to retain possession and the ability to regain that possession off the opposition.

I didn't understand how good he actually was and now there is no time left to actually appreciate what he did best.

Maybe i have a second chance with young Westwood. Possibly a mirror image of Petrov just before his prime?

I will certainly not allow my ignorance to judge a player again solely based on what he couldn't do and rather try to focus on what he could do.

Stan you are a top bloke, a great captain and ambassador for everything that is our club. You have shown far more dignity on and off the pitch battling your illness than i ever could as an overly critical fan and i wish you every success for the future.

Good post :thumb:

All the best stan for your future health and retirement. I hope he stays in some role for Villa in the future. His battle with his disease has been stoic and diginified, two attributes I would put to him as a player.The hairs on my neck are standing to what will be a very special day on Saturday.

All the best for the future Stiliyan! Wish you the best of luck in setting up your foundation. I hope it goes on to help many more people fighting cancer.

Â