Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Reference Mantis' 19th minute post above, I imagine the club will have consulted Stan in this regard. If the club decide not to promote the 19th minute this season, there will be plenty of home fans and nearly all the away fans who don't mark the minute. I hope those who choose to mark the minute respect those who choose not to and vice versa. I really hope it doesn't get argumentative in the stands as that's the exact opposite of any respect due. 

Edited by brommy

I agree. I reckon the club will stop it this season and the applause will slowly fizzle out.

It's not just going to stop dead. The whole crowd isn't going to suddenly go "Yep, no more of this"

I reckon it'll die out this season.

As others have probably already said, the best thing would be for Stan to publicly thank the fans but ask that it stop this season. Otherwise it'll just dwindle on for ages, which no one wants.

• Like 1

I don't think he needs to ask. That would be weird, imo.

Just let the club stop putting the pictures up.

It'll soon stop on its own. There's no need to try and stop it in one go.

If that happened TSV, it'd make us a laughing stock to the rest of football.

Not as much as being a big, and once all-conquering club struggling against relegation three seasons in a row. I don't see the harm, but re- branding it in some way is probably a good idea if it IS going to continue.

I just think we're losing perspective. It's all very misty-eyed making it a permanent Liverpool-esque attempt to squeeze tears out of each other but IMO it served it's purpose excellently last season and it had the desired effect for Stan. To prolong it now in any way, shape or form, be it for him or for anyone or anything else, would make us a laughing stock.

• Like 2

Agree completely with BOF. We're not Plop and we don't need to go actively looking for things to clap so that we can all pat ourselves on the back about how supportive we are.

Agree with you and BOF that Liverpool are up themselves, but no reason not to have traditions of our own, those Liverpool fans at least pack out their stadium even if it is just a big fat collective backslapping. I don't feel strongly either way about the 19th minute thing stopping (and not really my business, me being on the wrong continent an' all), but I don't think we'd be a "laughing stock" unless the whole thing was badly managed. I wouldn't recommend it to the Newcastle management team, for instance :)

• Like 1

Personally I would like to see it rededicated to any players(past/present), supporters and their families struggling with illness. Could be a nice new club tradition to say we not only support the team but the wider Villa family.

I actually suggested this a few months back, very little support for it, but I think it would be great. 

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/9253-the-19th-min-petrov-support/page-3

From the fan's forum - Lambert on Petrov: "When I first heard it was devastating, I think there has to come a point when the 19th minute applause stops."

It's been great, but it needs to stop now. He's in remission. He now works at the club. Let's look forward, not back.

Â