Stan Petrov

LondonLax

Absolutely fantastic to see him doing well and on the road to full health.

I think we will more likely see a friendly between us and Celtic sometime in the future whereby Stan could possibly come on for a small amount of time.

Great to see anyway.

Watching that BBC clip, there's a lot of respect for our club from other teams I feel for this, we are a good club with our support for Stan and also for Acorns, makes me proud to be a Villa fan.

And the 19th minute thing, we should continue I think, until he's out of the woods.

He's never going to be "out of the woods". He's finished his treatment, he's in remission, it won't get any better than that. 

It should be up to him when it stops I guess. 

Guys I can speak from personal experience with this matter. I, too am in remission from acute leukaemia and like Geoff Thomas I had a stem cell transplant (Geoff is a friend of mine actually).

Whilst a stem cell transplant is the best chance of curative treatment for this disease, the word 'cure' is not thrown around too much due to the on-going trials for this disease. So I am in what's known as a "complete remission" and have been since my transplant in July 2007. Geoff too.

Whilst by all accounts the likelihood of my leukaemia (and Geoffs) returning is relatively slim, I still have not been told that I've been 'cured'. With Stan his treatment will be through chemotherapy only as he doesnt require a transplant it seems (not everyone does) and chemo throughout this first year have treatment has got him to a remission. The hardest part is keeping a patient in remission. Stan has overcome some huge hurdles so far and hopefully will now stay in a remission from here on in. He will be very closely monitored for the next year.

To get where he is now is remarkable and a true testament to his character.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

for someone as old as he is, he really should know better.

I don't mind if opponents fans don't clap, it's entirely up to them, but being a keyboard warrior and writing inappropriate things about other peoples actions speaks volumes of that individual, a bit of a coward.

Just because Petrovs condition doesn't mean anything to him doesn't mean he should belittle anything we do as fans towards our own captain.

But he's not the first small minded idiot on the internet and he certainly won't be the last. 

I feel sorry for him, he's an ignorant, 40-something and still portrays himself as a huge, super man utd fan.  I bet his bedroom has the club curtains :lol:

In the 80s, when fanzines were the new thing, and I attended all of our away matches, I used to buy the home side's fanzine as a matter of routine, interested to tap into their point of view. Most were pretty humorous, some better written than others, and all poked fun at their local rivals (or perceived rivals) in a similar manner to the Villa fanzines.

Except 'Red issue', which still remains the most vitriolic, hate filled publication that I have ever read, encapsulating the sheer nastiness that was the Manchester United support in those days, something that doesn't appear to have improved much, despite the fact that they now win things.

Young people don't understand why us (slightly) older ones despise Manchester United, but it as nothing to with success, because they weren't successful. It as everything to do with their general behaviour and attitude towards supporters of other clubs, something that doesn't appear to be about to change.

• Like 1

Â