Stan Petrov

LondonLax

I'd love for him to stick around in a coaching role, but he's said he wants to keep playing, so wouldn't begrudge him if he dropped down a level or two to do just that. Just having him around some of the younger guys during pre-season seems like it's been good for them. As I've said all along, zero downside.

Shame, but glad to see Di Matteo not let sentiment get in the way of running his football team. Hopefully Petrov gets offered some sort of staff role, be it coaching or ambassadorial. Having him remain around the club can only be an inspiration.

• Like 3

If he want's to keep playing it would not make sense for him to just have a token role in the squad and possibly only get the odd minutes a couple of times during the season.

If he want's to try and get a contract someplace else, go for it. Would be an amazing feat and I'd be delighted for him.

Personally, I egoistically hope we get to keep him at Villa in some kind of role with the senior squad.

• Like 1

Maybe he'll get an offer from another club, maybe in a lower division. He might not be quite ready to give up his comeback. Lack of sentiment could run both ways! 

There's little doubt this was always going to be the outcome, it's a shame but any 37 year old is going to struggle to maintain a decent level of performance, never mind one who's not played for four years and definitely not one who's had a life threatening illness. 

HOWEVER, having given him the chance why not let him play the home friendly against Boro, even if only for last ten minutes, and then announce this decision. Would have been a nicer way to finish it than a quick tweet before an away friendly. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Let's hope he stays with the club in some capacity going forward. Well done Petrov, good luck for the future.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Legitimately angry at the news. It would not hurt to have him in the squad. He does not have to play 90 minutes every game or really at all. Let him be the locker room general, our Juwan Howard (NBA). That role is important even if he does not touch the field. 

Angry really? Like most I'm disappointed but this decision wouldn't have been taken lightly and only guessing but I think Petrov would have been involved in the decision too. He really has to reach a certain level to be in the squad and he probably feels he's not quite there.

It was a big ask for any 37 year old especially not been in the game for several years let alone what he has gone through.

Hopefully there is a role for him in the club but I'd also like him to not give up now depending on how he feels, try at a slightly lower level, which will be no less impressive.

He has been an inspiration to all despite not making his goal.

• Like 1

Respect all round.

Stan, continue getting fit. Sign for a club where you can do them a service. Be proud of yourself, you are a truly great human being.

Once you have achieved your aim to return playing professional football at whatever level and for however many minutes/matches, You will have shown great courage in denying Luk a victory over man.

I salute you however far you come.

I'm sure and would hope you can return to our great club when your time is right.

AVFC forever in your heart.

Forever in our hearts

Stan Petrov 19

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Anyone watch him in the friendlies? Was it really noticeable he wouldn't cut it for us? 

Watched him Saturday, off the ball it was apparent IMO we'd have to set the team up to cater for him, on the ball though he was good, was noticeable how involved he was, didn't sit there like I do with Westwood, Veretout etc where after the game you forgot they even played 

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely gutted for him, but completely understanding of the decision.

Hope he stays in a coaching role.

The tail end of the piece suggests to me he has been offered some sort of role, it's whether Stan wants to take that role up (coaching or whatever) or whether he wants to seek a playing contract elsewhere. He will likely be able to play elsewhere, it's just whether he wants to or not. 

Has to be the right decision for both. Either he was good enough or not. Whilst it would have been a dream for him to come back strong enough, but sadly football is very much a business and the priority has to be what the best team is. 

Gutted. After a season of Leicester fairy tales it is such a shame that we don't get our own. that said I would only ever want him there on merit and I'm sure as a proud pro that Stan would want that too.

I really hope he remains as part of he club though, I can feel the good vibes he brings from here and would hate for that to end.

theres no mention as to why he isnt being offered a playing contract, could part of it be the club having difficulties insuring him due to the fact that hes had an illness?

Â