Stan Petrov

LondonLax

That's all fair. I just think the timing is very poor, I wish he had either postponed or avoided the subject knowing that Talksport and other trash headline writers will have their merry way with his comments.

However we as individuals take it it's detrimental to the club and undermines the manager. That is how it is being spun, like it or not. 

As it's The Heil, i'm not exactly surprised that it's being spun as largely negative:

My heart was taken away from me

Stiliyan Petrov confesses: 'My heart was taken away from me' after Aston Villa deny leukemia survivor contract

• Roberto di Matteo informed Stiliyan Petrov he was no longer needed
  • Former Aston Villa captain was offered job as youth-team coach 
  • 37-year old had been told he was making good progress, then let go
  • Goalkeeper Brad Guzan reacted angrily when hearing news  

53 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Very surprised and disappointed that he has chosen now to speak up. Not helpful to the club the least. 

It's a shame. 

I don't really see how it harms the club. Stan is free to tell it how he sees things if he pleases.

The reality was that Stan had unrealistic expectations of what he could achieve and the club gave him a chance fulfil his dream. In retrospect perhaps RDM could have handled the situation better but without knowing the conversations that happened we will never know. What we do know is that the chances of petrov being good enough to play any part in our squad at his age and after his illness this season were zero.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

At least a short term one to get himself fit.  

Wasn't he training before pre season and all during preseason? I'd be 99 percent certain that Stan was as fit as he could be and that his chances of getting a contract wouldn't change if he had another three months training.

As we have no squad number limits and Stan would play for free (+ insurances.....etc)

he could have been valuable to the squad moral

who's to say that he could manage the last 10/15 mins as a leader and football brain with positional strength.

I thought at the time, win win with Stan

As for our 1st choices being injured I see conceed draw lose with Westf*** & F***ner

PS. It would have taken 10/15 mins in 1 match to see if Stan was up to it.

How many games have we thrown pts away in?

5 out of 7

Trying Stan in 1 game to know/not to know would have been very low risk

Gardner & Westwood FFS

I listened to all of what he said on talksport yesterday and he repeated that he was hurt and extremely disappointed. Jim white(sigh) continually tried to imply that villa, & di matteo had treated him unfairly, but stan never actually said that. 

I got the impression that he was gutted that his football career is finally over and he's in the process of dealing with that. I don't think his fitness was an issue. With the best will in the world, any player who has been out for four years is going to struggle to get back their sharpness, let alone a 37 year old who's had leukaemia!!

Danny murphy also tried to imply that di matteo didn't want him around because of him being such a big character and influence and would undermine hus work. Again, pundits looking to make something out of very, very little.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

5 out of 7

Gardner & Westwood FFS

He tried him in several games...friendlies. If he didn't look up to it then why would he 4 weeks later in the championship?

I get the sentiment, i really do, but i wouldn't want to see him shown up in front of thousands of people, and neither would stan tbh

13 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

He tried him in several games...friendlies. If he didn't look up to it then why would he 4 weeks later in the championship?

I get the sentiment, i really do, but i wouldn't want to see him shown up in front of thousands of people, and neither would stan tbh

The you can continue to watch Westwood & Gardner f*** up for us in the last 10 mins in front of the same thousands of fans and team mates (possibly/probably) who would give us a lift with stan coming on. They'd probably hail every touch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The you can continue to watch Westwood & Gardner f*** up for us in the last 10 mins in front of the same thousands of fans and team mates (possibly/probably) who would give us a lift with stan coming on. They'd probably hail every touch.

And how long before stan gets found out, fans see he is not sharp enough, then start giving him dogs abuse like that dished out to westwood and gardner??

I like your fairytale though 

The difference is that Petrov was PL standard and always gave everything he could

10/15 mins would prove to himself, RDM & the fans if thats enough

Westwood is a shit player going backwards

Gardner is proven shit

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

5 out of 7

Gardner & Westwood FFS

Villa looked at him every day of the pre-season and in training games and made a decision. There's a very good reason you don't see many 37 year olds playing professional football.

I think RDM got this one right.

Its tempting to think than Stan could come off the bench for the last 15 minutes and prevent all those late goals . Thats the story we would all love and would want.

In reality it could have proved a bit of sideshow - and RDM been seen as sentimental and not tough enough.

Surely  AN other club could have given Stan a contract. 

I watched Stan in the friendly against Worcester and in all honesty he was off the pace and looked as though he struggled.

If RDM had signed him up for this season it would have taken a few more months to get his fitness up to scratch and even then it may just be a case that age has caught up with him... he wouldn't be the game changing midfielder that we need

We have bigger issues to deal with currently than worrying about this 

Â