Stan Petrov

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, AndyBM said:

theres no mention as to why he isnt being offered a playing contract, could part of it be the club having difficulties insuring him due to the fact that hes had an illness?

Wouldn't have thought so. Other players have made returns after cancer, albeit at a younger age.

Him being 37 and not playing for 4 years is probably why

taking the cancer out of it...he'd be doing well at that age to still be playing...adding it back in, I hope he knows the sense of achievement and the pride that comes with getting so close, he's a legend, loved by this club

id hate for him to think otherwise, not sure why some of our fans think otherwise

• Like 2

23 hours ago, villa_southerner said:

He is wanted around the club with his character and experience, I believe he will be offered a role coaching the youngsters but will come down to what Stan wants to do.

It's a huge shame he's not been offered a deal. I guess RDM felt he wasn't quite up to it which is fair enough. 

Honourable mention to villa_southerner having the info 24 hours before release. Spot on so far. Keep them coming!

Hope he stays but equally I'm sure he could get a season at least playing in the Conference or maybe even Div 2 so, if that's what he wants, all best wishes to him. 

Also trust if he does try his hand at another club, there will always be a place  for him at Villa in the future.

• Like 1

I can see him having a trial at Celtic and getting in their squad, he should have the blessing of all villa fans if he did that because if he wants to play football then he should do just that

He's been a coach here before and after the toil he's put himself through to get back in shape i don't see him wanting to do it again i think he enjoys playing more.

Edited by AshVilla

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, they're already under contract. 

Don't be stupid, it's **** easy, you just scribble out "Mr Gabriel Agbonlahor" and write in Stan Petrov. In crayon, obviously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

I can see him having a trial at Celtic and getting in their squad, he should have the blessing of all villa fans if he did that because if he wants to play football then he should do just thaT

The man himself will have my blessing no matter what he chooses to do...but Celtic fans? The better club brigade will be all over us, of course they'd give him a contract because they're the mighty famous bestest club in the world, just don't mention the step down in quality...

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Doesn't he already have a "coaching role"

This pre-season he was keen to obviously become part of the playing squad but that hasn't come to fruition but as di matteo has said he is wanted at the club and has an offer on the table as a coaching role, but it'll be down to Stan if he believes he can play elsewhere.

• Like 1

You know what I want?

I want Stan to find a club and play professional football again. That's what he wants. Unless it was The Villa or nothing, in which case obviously I am happy to have him as a coach to round out a solid backroom team. 

• Like 2

gutted.

As villa4europe said, Celtic will likely sign him and we'll look like petty fools.

I hope he stays as a coach, but not the kids.  I think he is an anchor for our younger first team players.  He needs to be working with the first team.

the thing is I dont think Petrov would want us to sign him as a charity contract or as a favour and he would like to earn it hence the trial.

though I do think his influence with the squad mainly younger players is a lot stronger than some other "leaders" in the squad and maybe club could keep him on as a player/coach for reserve team when standard is not so strong (though he personally probably wouldnt want that)

Â