Stan Petrov

LondonLax

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Will still be getting a Petrov shirt regardless

Club really should sell these with a percentage going to the Stiliyan Petrov Foundation.

Perhaps they already do?

I'd buy one 

Edited by sne

• 5 weeks later...

Stan has officially retired.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-legend-stiliyan-petrov-11778567.amp?client=safari

Stiliyan Petrov has ruled out a return to professional football after failing to win a contract at Aston Villa.

The 37-year-old gave it his all to win over boss Roberto Di Matteo this summer but the Italian decided against offering him a short-term deal.

Read More

Petrov was forced to retire in 2013 with leukaemia but he beat the disease and harboured ambitions of returning to Villa Park where he used to be the captain.

In an interview with Kanal 3, he has today revealed his comeback mission is over: “There will be no comebacks.

“My return to professional football has failed but I will explain the reasons at a later stage.

Watch Villa fans mob Stan after his final appearance

“I am glad I was able to come back and do a pre-season, but sometimes things do not work out the way we want.

“Could I become a manager in Bulgaria? Of course, but not soon. I do not want to rush.

"I have a lot of proposals... Now I want to devote my time to my family, as when others rested, I was training with Aston Villa and now want to spend time with them.”

Read More

Petrov, a former Bulgarian international, trained with Villa this summer in Austria and featured in two pre-season friendlies.

Di Matteo decided to recruit Aaron Tshibola and Mile Jedinak in his position though, and only offered him a backroom role.

Hope that there is no bitterness on Stan's part for not getting a deal

19 hours ago, benireduk said:

"I have a lot of proposals... Now I want to devote my time to my family, as when others rested, I was training with Aston Villa and now want to spend time with them.”

Sounds like a dig at some of our squad, and quite right too if he was busting a gut to get a contract while others weren't putting in a shift or wanted out. Gutted for the guy, would still love him to be involved somehow. At least we have signed at least 3 other natural leaders now though.

I don't think it's a dig. He's saying he was putting in extra training. 

It's a shame he didn't make it, but he would likely be 5th choice at this point even if he could have proven himself fit enough. I obviously wish him all the best for the future and I hope he can have a role to play with The Villa.

Must be a bit of blow for him. I thought when villa didn't offer a contract he would be offered one at another club - but doesn't look like that happened either. Maybe he realise himself that he isn't up to it.

I thought I heard that he would be offered some role within the club. But it seems that hasn't come to fruition.

I remember listening to Stephen Frogatt - who retired early through injury - he was offered some sort of role within wolves, but said that it just made the adjustment from playing to non playing even harder and that a clean break was best.

Good luck Stan - never underestimate the value of time with your family - best wishes for whatever you do in the future. 

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I hope we get a Aston Villa v Petrov XI charity match next pre-season. It would sell out Villa Park, get a bunch of the old boys back for it.

I hope it happens and Petrov himself runs rings around the AVFC midfield, making monkees of them all !!!!!   THAT would make my summer.

• Like 1

Petrov getting into a good enough shape and sharp enough game-fitness would've been very much of a miracle after the illness and not playing for four years.

Would've been amazing fairy tale ending (or start) though.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I look forward to the return of Tonev in the Petrov XI 

Had totally forgotten about him - literally hadn't entered my mind once for several months until just now. Absolutely woeful player.

• 4 weeks later...

I can understand Stan's frustrations.. With what he's been through in the past few years it's an incredible achievement to get back to full fitness.

He'll always be a hero at Villa Park, but in this instance I back Di Matteo. It was blindingly obvious that Stan was miles off the pace in the summer and there's no room for sentiment in professional football.

• Like 3

I would have played at Aston Villa for nothing - Stiliyan Petrov on his parting with the club

Stiliyan Petrov would have played for free had Aston Villa offered him a chance to resurrect his career this summer, the Bulgarian has revealed.

Villa’s former captain, now 37, trained with the first-team during the early stages of pre-season but was told by boss Roberto Di Matteo that he would not be offered a contract.

Petrov had hoped to return to professional football after battling leukaemia but despite returning to peak fitness, Di Matteo decided to press on with this season’s preparations without him.

Speaking to talkSPORT today, the ex-skipper, who rejected an offer to work as a coach with the youth-team, said:

“I don’t hold any bad feelings towards them.

“I won’t lie to you I was disappointed.. Why I wasn’t offered, I don’t know. That, wasn’t explained to me.

“They offered me a job with the youth system which I didn’t want to do. I wanted to finish as a footballer.”

Di Matteo recognised Petrov’s affiliation with the club and spoke highly of the midfielder after coming through an immensely difficult period in his life.

He also gave him the opportunity to train with the first-team on the pre-season tour in Austria.

Petrov kept up with Di Matteo’s demanding workload but the manager decided that he wanted to add Mile Jedinak and Aaron Tshibola to his group rather than the former Celtic man.

“I didn’t even want to get paid. I just wanted to finish as a footballer,” Petrov added.

“I was told very early. I was free, I could have done a longer pre-season on everything else.

“I sat with Roberto Di Matteo and thanked him for giving me the opportunity. We shook hands and I wished him good luck for the season.”

Petrov has yet to decide on his next career move.

1 hour ago, dubliner said:

I can understand Stan's frustrations.. With what he's been through in the past few years it's an incredible achievement to get back to full fitness.

He'll always be a hero at Villa Park, but in this instance I back Di Matteo. It was blindingly obvious that Stan was miles off the pace in the summer and there's no room for sentiment in professional football.

Miles of the pace sounds like the majority of our midfield to be honest!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Very surprised and disappointed that he has chosen now to speak up. Not helpful to the club the least. 

It's a shame. 

It was part of a couple of hours he spent on talksport today alongside Jim White and Danny Murphy and I'd imagine booked up some time ago. He spoke about all sorts in the bit I caught whilst out earlier. He was always going to be asked about his trial over the summer and it seems gave honest answers but nothing bad against the club and he actually stated he holds no bad feelings.

• Like 2

Â