Stan Petrov

LondonLax

47 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I watched Stan in the friendly against Worcester and in all honesty he was off the pace and looked as though he struggled.

If RDM had signed him up for this season it would have taken a few more months to get his fitness up to scratch and even then it may just be a case that age has caught up with him... he wouldn't be the game changing midfielder that we need

We have bigger issues to deal with currently than worrying about this 

I don't think we do, I think this decision is integral to what's been wrong at Villa.

Here we have an ex top player, far superior to any potential in the current squad who wanted to play for little wages and retire on his terms rather than going into coaching.
The man has pride, determination and a resilience that once graced many Villa teams. He may be slower than ever but there's one thing he has and will never lose, intelligence. On and off the field. 

And by god do we need intelligence in central midfield. Not for Westwood and Gardner especially (they're not developing) but for the younger players. There is nothing like a 37 year old owning you in training to realise you're behind, and Petrov is very approachable for advice. 

The previous 6 years has seen managers who do not have faith in the Villa youth, well done Albrighton for scoring in the CL, who keep faith with favourites while not inspiring confidence in others and who cannot comprehend the tactical side of a 90minute game or player development. I don't think Di Matteo is any different. He certainly fit most of those criteria at WBA.

I fully expect us to get out of the rut and do well, by god we've spent enough and probably wisely enough, but many games are won and lost by the manager.
Whether it's protecting a lead, forcing players to involve others for the good of the team, making tactical substitutions or collecting the right individuals, I think tactically we made a mistake not bringing Petrov along for this war and it's indicative of the narrow minded view experienced under Lerner.

• Like 2

But if we had won a few more games and were currently sitting in the top 3 would we now be disputing Villa's decision to not hand Stan a contract... The decision was clearly made on his current fitness and ability and not his past fitness and ability... (Obviously footballing ability is still there but he no longer has it in the legs like he used to, not many 37 year olds do)

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can't really offer a professional contract out of sentiment. He was offered other roles but declined. I don't think the club acted inappropriately at all. 

Not even remotely. In fact in giving him a chance they went above and beyond. 

I can't believe anyone would suggest that the club or the manager are seriously at fault here. 

As I said I think the timing was all kinds of wrong to give an interview like this but I feel Stan's pain. Gutted for him and it's time for everyone to move on from it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can't really offer a professional contract out of sentiment. He was offered other roles but declined. I don't think the club acted inappropriately at all. 

pity we didnt do same with Gabby ;)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He's been offered a coaching, but not a playing role, with Nuneaton. The decision not to offer him a contract looks even more understandable in that light.

thats good news for him, worryingly he probably wouldnt do worse than Jedinak or Westwood at moment

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He's been offered a coaching, but not a playing role, with Nuneaton. The decision not to offer him a contract looks even more understandable in that light.

Give him the Villa job, hed have the fans united behind him. Bring in Mellberg as assistant and it would be pure sex

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to start a new thread of a 'Bring Back Stan' campaign but felt prob more appt here,

Anyway in another thread we speak of possible free agents available.

To be fair, I feel what Stan would bring to the party would be vital for what we need at the moment!

I say we kick off a 'Bring Back Stan' campaign.   Who is up for this?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

58 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

say we kick off a 'Bring Back Stan' campaign.   Who is up for this?

Bring him back to do what exactly? He's not able to play football at a professional level due to his age and illness. Why can't people realise that simple fact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

He would be more than just a player though 89'   The presence he would bring, the lift, to train with etc. A voice on the sidelines.  I think you may be surprised what he could still offer - Not just on the pitch basis..

In fairness isnt that what a manager and his team are supposed to do.  IMO we need less complexity from the sidelines and more influence on the pitch.  Stan Petrov, as much as I respect and admire the man and thought he was decent when he played for us,  is not able to influence anything on the pitch.  Having one more passenger in the team will not help the 10 or 11 that are already passengers

I do feel he has a role to play at this club in some capacity, whether that be part player, coach, influence, anything!

He is someone that gives a shit I suppose, and he has been under the Guidance of MO'N most of his playing career.. passing that ethos down to the current team etc can only be a good thing.

Give the man a chance. He deserves it, and he wants it, more than can be said for half of the current team.  :D

No it doesn't. You'd have teams literally walking through our midfield if it was Jedinak and Petrov.

Edit: In fact why is this even open for discussion? Doesn't it say a lot that the only team apparently interested in him are/were Nuneaton...

Edited by AVFC44

Â