Stan Petrov

LondonLax

4 hours ago, BOF said:

Although I'd understand if he say chose to go to Celtic where he could still be POTY in that league.

The Scottish league is bad but it's not that bad. Even if petrov had never been sick it would be a huge leap to think that he could still play at championship or SPL level at the age of 37. Time waits for no man.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The Scottish league is bad but it's not that bad. Even if petrov had never been sick it would be a huge leap to think that he could still play at championship or SPL level at the age of 37. Time waits for no man.

Time waits for Zlatan.

• Like 3

even though we all have to accept that stan wont be getting a contract for numerous reasons, i would still like to see proof to back the comment made a few times in this thread that the club cant afford it, because the way im seeing this, weve just acquired a new chairman who is richer than the previous chairman, taking into consideration as well that under the previous regime, half the first team squad was on stupidly high wages and considered deadwood and hardly got played, so having a dedicated player on the books whos prepared to play for villa for free for the occassional 15, 20 minutes here and there, cant do any harm at all.

and as mentioned many times on this thread, he is also a fantastic person to have around the dressing room.

On 20/07/2016 at 19:23, Raymond said:

Legitimately angry at the news. It would not hurt to have him in the squad. He does not have to play 90 minutes every game or really at all. Let him be the locker room general, our Juwan Howard (NBA). That role is important even if he does not touch the field. 

But surely as club captain Gabby fulfills that role already? 

• Like 1

In an ideal world one would want a fit enough Stan who is able to not only inspire but also carry the crapheads we have too many of anyway.

Having the many crapheads who cant inspire or carry themselves to leg-up a "not fit enough for more than X mins" is a step too far.

Still annoyed about this decision. I really think it's the wrong one. A great opportunity for new owner and manager to do something that gets a lot of positive PR and makes a lot of fans happy and at what real cost? Pisses me off that a word removed like Bacuna will be wearing the shirt next year and petrov can't be even part of the squad. 

I really do think we've **** up on this one. 

• Like 1

Not the correct decision IMO. After all the determination, spirit and will he's shown, Stiliyan Petrov deserved one last season with the club... 

Don't want to question or judge RDM's coaching skills and competencies, we will all do that come end of the season, but with this decision, he got me question his mental skills a bit. Not sure if any of the more experienced managers in the game would have made the same call in this case. You do not turn down a Paul Scholes who wants to come out of retirement and help the team one last time..

Edited by petrov19

Probably the first real tough decision RDM had to make. However, it would be nice to see Stan finally get the chance to end his career on his terms. If they do offer him a contract as a coach, I hope its a good one.  His presence alone would make him worth more than every cent.

On 7/20/2016 at 19:23, Raymond said:

Legitimately angry at the news. It would not hurt to have him in the squad. He does not have to play 90 minutes every game or really at all. Let him be the locker room general, our Juwan Howard (NBA). That role is important even if he does not touch the field. 

But if he has the dream of playing again, surely giving him a sentimental contract is a complete disrespect to everything he's worked so hard for?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2016 at 23:38, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You know what I want?

I want Stan to find a club and play professional football again. That's what he wants. Unless it was The Villa or nothing, in which case obviously I am happy to have him as a coach to round out a solid backroom team. 

Would love it if he can find a team in the West Midlands as well. Selfishly, I'd love to be able to go and watch him when Villa aren't at home.

Few silly wobbles in here. The scholes comment was a belter.

I'll trust the people who saw him train and play every single minute, the professional medical team who would of put forward their opinion. That should be sufficient for everyone.

What a man. What a story. The magical ending didn’t happen. However, listening to westwood it sounds as if Stan has set this squad up for the season. Put the bond in place.

Hope he stays on.

Â