Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

Fingers crossed he comes good! I think he'll do wonders for the interest Villa attracts down here in Oz.

Might well do, especially once Herdy gets a green & gold shirt.

Might tune into FoxSports FC this week and see what Bozzie has to say...

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm delighted to have another Aussie in the team.

As for him a player theres not much to add to what has been said above, but imo he is the best aussie player at the moment, though I don't know if thats so much a compliment to him as much as it is a sign of how our national team has declined in the past few years.

Brett will be a decent signing,he will need to get used to the pace of the English game but once he has done that he should be ok.He is an attack minded player, so thats good.I am from Perth West Australia so I have seen Brett play quite often for the Socceroos,he wont let us down.

If we get a new manager right after the season ends, is it possible to cancel this deal?

As for the player I have never heard of him before. Not going to discredit his chances though, because if he comes I will wish him the best.

I'm pleased with this. We clearly have plans for the summer and are keen to start putting them into place now. Yes if it means McLeish is staying then so be it, for now. If we have a poor start to next season then his time will surely be up.

Let's hope that there will be more signings to follow in the summer.

We've needed a real engine in midfield since Milner went so this guy looks like he can fit the bill in that respect - which is cool. Like most people, I know nothing about him other than what I've watched on youtube over the last couple of days.. so I'll reserve judgment until I see him play for us.

hi,

another OzVillain here - been supporting Villa since the early 90's;

Since were all coming out of the woodwork, I might as well give my two cents.

Normally I would greet the news of AVFC signing an aussie with much excitement and fanfare, but in this case its prerry ho-hum.

Holman is at best an average player, that might do a job for us as a squad player. Anyone expecting anything further from him, is heading for dissapointment. Technically he is very average, and whilst his application is beyond doubt, the end product is often lacking....

The notion that this is the calibre of signgings we can expect over the next couple of months depresses me greatly.

Im surprised so many people havent seen him play. Ive seen him for Australia a few times and he has always stood out as a dangerous player, although ive never seen him play club football. Im quite excited about this tbh.

Welcome to the Villa Brett

While i applaud early signings, after reading through the thread, i am nevertheless concerned at the player's perceived lack of touch and ability on the ball. If this is indeed the correct discription of Holman's ability then it sounds like the type of signing AM would have made while at Rangers. Furthermore, i want us to be signing players who are technically comfortable on the ball rather than the latter. Its all well and good signing midfielders with good engines but if they lack the right quality then whats the point of signing them in the first place. It very much sounds like another Bradley signing to me and its not really moving the club forward in the way that it should!

This news is probably going to upset Albrighton.. He's got into the first team consistently for the first time in his career and he's now looking at the signing of an International/Champions League calibre player that just so happens to play in his position. Poor kid..

poor kid??? sorry cant aggree with this...... what albrighton should be thinking is "shit, some serious competition here - i better step up my game and make sure i keep myself in the team"

thats the only way our kids are gonna progress and get better..... if this signing should miff albrighton then he hasnt got the mentality to ever be a top player...........

poor kid??? sorry cant aggree with this...... what albrighton should be thinking is "shit, some serious competition here - i better step up my game and make sure i keep myself in the team"

absolutely 100% agree, he has no given right to be in the team. he should knuckle down and make the position his so its impossble for him to be left out

Welcome to the Villa Brett Holman! On paper this seems a good signing to add experience to our current team; 53 caps is good and currently AZ are within a shout of winning the league and are playing in Europe. Holman's stats this season are very, very good for a creative player and at his current age he seems to be making the step up the PL at the right time.

It's a shame people are criticising this chap already and are using this thread to also slate McLeish and Albrighton. Marc I thought played ok against Fulham, could've scored but unfortunately hit the bar and he made several good crosses which on another day may have resulted in two assists for him...what more do people want considering he is still regarded as a young player?!

Disappointed that this is most likely a sign McLeish will sign. As for the signing itself, reserving judgement as can't remember ever seeing him play, hopefully add some competition out wide though and if you are to be competitive, a couple free transfers isn't a bad way to go to bulk out the squad. Can't imagine big wages either.