Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

So do people still believe this idea that randy will spend again?

Jesus, it's one signing, and what looks like a prudent one. Low risk, low outlay on wages, a good squad filler (which we are desperate for) who has decent international and champions league experience. This signing tells us nothing about the future direction of the club other than at last we're a. making intelligent and for once positive use of the Bosman ruling, and b. making planned signings rather than last minute ones.

With some people the club cannot win.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope he does well for us.

The most significant and disappointing thing about it is the fact that Mcleish lloks likely to remain with us which is something I guess I knew anyway but had hoped deep down would not happen

Gutted that it means mcleish is staying and gutted that this is the level of player we now attract under mcleish and Lerner.

Quelle surprise :D

:lol:

Hilarious.

If only I was as funny as you two and used that when you let us know how delighted you are or how you're prepared to get behind the club. :yawn: :bonk:

Oh well, I can continue to dream.

50 international caps?

Didn't salifou have international caps? Playing for Australia is hardly the pinnacle of international football.

Australia are a decent side to compare them with Togo is quite absurd and ignorant

He may be alright but it's highly unlikely he's going to be a top premiership player

was a Bosman. Were you expecting Ronaldo or Messi?

Agree with both points by Zatman here. Australia are actually quite decent at the international stage. Like a slightly lesser version of USA when it comes to "soccer". As said, to compare Australia to Togo is pretty ignorant. I'd welcome Jefferson Farfan too, but he's only got int'l appearances for a backwater S.American country..

Bit of a stupid thing to say.

People are saying he's got international caps as if that shows he's a quality player. My point was playing for Australia is hardly proof of this.

Doesn't hurt though eh? And what about being a regular for the current top club side in Holland? That proves nothing either, but can't hurt eh? So what we have here is a guy who is 27, a regular for his country with over 50 caps and a regular for his club side who currently sit on top of their national league. And you want to try and turn it into a negative or at the very least you want to play down the positives as much as you can. And you wonder why people are reacting to you. Forgive us if we try and see the positives from what looks initially to be a fairly astute signing.

Saved my a long paragh of remonstration Bri. :)

Can't believe the reaction of some people to this signing. The ink hasn't even dried and your slagging him off. He's been a regular in a side who sit top of the Dutch League, and are currently competing in the Europa cup. 50 odd caps for a decent international team.

Your only pissed off with this signing because it was Alex McLeish who signed him.

Pretty happy with this signing...

His game is suited to the Premier League and is also experienced, cheap and versatile, good get.

Not saying he'll be a star but he should be a solid player at least.

And yes I'm an Aussie as well :P

The Australian Dirk Kuyt eh. God knows we need a player who'll harrass the opposition and close them down, as we saw against Fulham, where we dominated the first half, purely down to pressuring them whenever they had the ball. Like Herd.

Can see those two forming a good bond here.

Saying that there are some very good Bosman's. Someone sent me a link yesterday but they've deleted their twitter today. Farfan, Berbatov, Raul, etc, lots of good names worth a gander.

I hope you're right Banger, because he divides Aussie fans like no other player I can remember.

*cough*NickyCarle*cough*

Does anyone actually think he's international standard tho? haha

I'd welcome Jefferson Farfan too, but he's only got int'l appearances for a backwater S.American country..

My Auntie is Peruvian you racist little shit!

Man this calls for Farfan photoshopped onto Paddington Bear. Get on it G!

Does every situation have to call for a photoshopping? I have work I'm trying to pretend to do here!

Does every situation have to call for a photoshopping? I have work I'm trying to pretend to do here!

I think this calls for a GarethRDR photoshopped into a 'doing work' image.

Not heard of the bloke or seen him play so can't comment on that. However, he has international and european competition experience so may be very benefitial to the squad. Also hitting a good age where we may see the best of him. Also would appear that his wages may be low(ish).

Kudos for the club and McLeish for actually making an early signing. Means he will have a full pres season with us to get to grips with the pace in England and also to know his team mates. It's about time we started making early signings.

Noticed Wiki (yes I know not the most reliable but hey) has him down as a second striker, would this maybe mean that Ireland isn't wanted?

This site never ceases to amaze me, people slating the signing when they know nothing about the player, but know which manager chose him...so he must be bad...incredible...

Anyway good luck to the lad.

iv not slagged off a signing for a while now, in terms that if you havent seen a guy play various 90 mins how can you be commenting on how good he is/will be. I doubt there is that many Dutch League admirers on the forum to know enough so lets cut the negative rubbish.

I seem to remember a few murmours about us signing walker last year (i definetly remember the words tottenham reject being thrown around and look how that turned out)

Not seen him play but from the comments he sounds like another Paul Birch type player - underrated by the fans but appreciated by his team mates. Every successful squad needs a player of this ilk as it allows the more creative players to shine.

Hopefully this also means no more links to Steven Davis........

Your only pissed off with this signing because it was Alex McLeish who signed him.

Well said and you've got to the root of the real issue with that comment.

Facts are Holman looks a decent player who has experience of International football, CL and is currently playing for a team who has a very good chance of winning their domestic league trophy. This could very well be quite an astute signing indeed.

50 international caps?

Didn't salifou have international caps? Playing for Australia is hardly the pinnacle of international football.

Australia are a decent side to compare them with Togo is quite absurd and ignorant

He may be alright but it's highly unlikely he's going to be a top premiership player

was a Bosman. Were you expecting Ronaldo or Messi?

Agree with both points by Zatman here. Australia are actually quite decent at the international stage. Like a slightly lesser version of USA when it comes to "soccer". As said, to compare Australia to Togo is pretty ignorant. I'd welcome Jefferson Farfan too, but he's only got int'l appearances for a backwater S.American country..

Blimey put your tin hat on !!

I cant wait to see the starting 11 next season with signings like this coming in.

he plays for AZ Alkmaar for a reason and its not because he's good or class or world class its the complete opposite.

End of the day you can expect plenty more signings like this under AMC and Lerner.

Not only that but its not quite a free though is it because it still goes onto a wage bill and its a supposed wage bill we don't have.