Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

Just thought people might be interested in Bozzie's views on the signing

Managerial instability concern for Brett Holman ahead of Aston Villa move, says Mark Bosnich

Fox Sports football expert Mark Bosnich has a word of warning for Socceroos star Brett Holman ahead of his move to Barclays Premier League side Aston Villa next season.

Holman, a free agent at season's end, will bring the curtain down on 10 years in the Dutch leagues in June after reaching a pre-contract agreement with Villa.

The 28-year-old has spent the past four seasons with AZ Alkmaar, where he has established himself as a world-class player. Alkmaar currently lead the Eredivisie table by three points from Ajax.

Bosnich is thrilled the Socceroos star will be joining his former club, but he worries about Villa's stability and the future of under-fire manager Alex McLeish after a torrid season of results.

Villa, who also have Socceroos midfielder Chris Herd on their books, are currently sitting 15th on the table, and there have been calls throughout the disappointing season for McLeish to be sacked.

"The move is really good news, and it will be great for another Australian to be playing in the Premier League," said Bosnich, who played 227 games in an eight-year Villa career.

"But it's (Villa Park) obviously not a happy place in terms of where Villa are performing this season, and it's hoped there is stability in regards to the manager.

"That can put a whole different bearing on things.

"There are a lot of people not happy with Villa's form this season, and the manager."

Bosnich believes Holman will make a success of the move, given "time and opportunity".

"It will be a massive step up from the Dutch league, but hopefully he can finish this season with a champions medal there," Bosnich told foxsports.com.au.

"It will take him a while to adjust to the pace and the change of lifestyle, but I think he'll be absolutely fine.

"He'll enjoy his time over there."

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other reason he's not much of a Youtube hero is that it's the little things that don't make the highlights reels that are his main strengths. The one percenters as we call them in Aussie Rules. These are the reasons why he has been so loved by three successive Australia coaches. He is like the guy who will throw himself on a hand grenade to save his platoon.

I'm gathering he is a Milner-esque type player based on what who knows him are saying, not too flashy, not too many goals, but works hard as hell and is effective, very good person to have in the team. On a free, can't complain.

People with Barca's badges as their avatar should be taken out the back & shot

Rather inappropriate comment....

THIS ! He merely aim's at being personal once he realises that his arguement has become boring.

Honestly when people start being personal about thing's do you not realise how retarded it makes you look ?

I don't think ive ever posted on any website about opposition fans being shot etc.

Jealousy is an awful thing to have didn't you learn to leave all that bad feeling at home ?

Anyway were talking about Villa/BCFC

who is talking about BCFC except you :detect:

Thing is it's like Barca and Real Madrid us as fans always argue who is the biggest and i guess its the same with Villa and BCFC who is the biggest ? Because right now i,d say BCFC and Villa are about equal.

Jealousy is an awful thing to have didn't you learn to leave all that bad feeling at home ?

Thing is it's like Barca and Real Madrid us as fans always argue who is the biggest and i guess its the same with Villa and BCFC who is the biggest ? Because right now i,d say BCFC and Villa are about equal.

JogOn.jpg

JogOn.jpg

I mean managerial wise BCFC and Villa are about equal as MCleish is very poor along with Lerner and his P.A. Squad wise ok villa just about edge that but my guess is within a year or two years Villa will be relegated as the squad isn't good enough which has been evident this season. You only have to look at the points tally, the table does not lie. Chances are Bent will be off in the summer and maybe the likes of Ireland to and then what ? Im pretty sure there is no millions coming from Randy to provide equal or better quality. And can you see any names even wanting to sign for MCleish anyway ? I THINK NOT !!

Why are you even here?

Why are you even here?

Because i do go to V.P when im in the UK although the last time i went was because MON was in charge i have not been since as ive been travelling.

I do like Villa but like many other fan's I have lost a little bit of interest since the whole Houllier/MCleish thing.

Why are you even here?

Because i do go to V.P when im in the UK although the last time i went was because MON was in charge i have not been since as ive been travelling.

I do like Villa but like many other fan's I have lost a little bit of interest since the whole Houllier/MCleish thing.

Again why are you still here if you've lost interest?

Rather inappropriate comment....

THIS ! He merely aim's at being personal once he realises that his arguement has become boring.

Honestly when people start being personal about thing's do you not realise how retarded it makes you look ?

I don't think ive ever posted on any website about opposition fans being shot etc.

Do you post on Barca boards with a villa badge avatar ?

Get to ****, Bluenose. You're about equal to Coventry, maybe not even that. Back to Trollschool. You have much to learn.

The other reason he's not much of a Youtube hero is that it's the little things that don't make the highlights reels that are his main strengths. The one percenters as we call them in Aussie Rules. These are the reasons why he has been so loved by three successive Australia coaches. He is like the guy who will throw himself on a hand grenade to save his platoon.

We already have Herd to do that job.

The more i read this thread the more i worry about this signing. As i've stated before this smacks of another Bradley signing, different manager but same type of limited player. The difference with Bradley was that we thankfully took the option to send him back again where he came from which we don't have with this signing.

I thought the days of us signing the likes of limited players such as Sidwell and Bradley were coming to an end but obviously not. Yes he's on a free but thats not enough reason to sign him if he has no technical ability on the ball.

This is the very reason why we have stagnated and not won anything for years. Purchasing players who are able to run all day but don't have the quality to pass comfortably to a team mate or indeed open teams up and i'm afraid that this signing is typical of one which AM would have made at Rangers!

CI i know what you are getting at and the answer to your question is that i know as much about him as you do but i have read other poster's opinions on him who have seen him play and they generally seem to be saying that his ability on the ball is indeed very limited. If this is the case and i've no reason to doubt the general opinion on him then i am greatly dismayed at this type of signing when there are better players available on a free.

While i understand that we can no longer attract the type of player that even Spuds would be interested in i do expect any signing we make to be a step up from the Sidwells and Bradleys of this world. If you want to watch Villa play the type of attractive football that gets us on the edge of our seats again and indeed attract more fans to our club then you must have the right players to do that i.e having the ability to be technically proficent on the ball. Thats why i'm pissed off CI. We have got to get away from the hoofball type of player and thats the only way we are going to progress.

I've never seen him play, but he looks crap on youtube, so I'm not very hopeful. There's absolutely no point in signing sub standard players just because they're cheap, they have to have the quality as well, or you've just got dead weight in the squad.

It's great to hear you say that. I'd been worried that there really might be a Villa fan hidden somewhere in the persona of an illiterate glory-hunting WUM.

Please don't waste time trolling on this site any longer. Instead, why not spend some time learning to read and write? You could learn a new language: Spanish, for example. The world offers so many possibilities.

Morpheus, do you think youve written him off based on the fact you've never seen him play live (& yes there is a difference to MOTD or YouTube), and he's not kicked a ball for us yet