Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

As an Australian AV supporter I am absolutely thrilled in this signing.

He has been our best player for the national side since the last World Cup. He was the best player for our national side at that World Cup. This includes Cahill, Kewell, Swartz, Neil ect ..

He is a quality attacking player. Can play either striker, behind the striker or on the left and right wings.

For those unsure of his potential, check out this goal vs Serbia in the last game of the World Cup (2nd goal)

Welcome OzAv

Pretty good summing up of Brett. The one thing about him is he is a player that divides fans.

Those that don't like him tend to point to his poor first touch and at times wayward finishing. They will also call him a "headless chicken" as he is all over the place.

Those that do marvel at his engine and the fact he gets himself into positions others wouldn't to create something unexpected.

It's about time we had another Aussie international in the Villa squad - hopefully soon to be joined by Herd. 8)

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sick of Mcleish being the manager, I'm sick of randy as our owner, i'm sick of how shit our club has been run and our current future looks nothing but boring shit.
Yes, we got it some time ago. Why soil every thread though?

I don't know much about Holman but my first impressions are that it's a low risk deal for a player that has the potential to be decent for us. Nothing to moan about here IMO.

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

As an Australian AV supporter I am absolutely thrilled in this signing.

He has been our best player for the national side since the last World Cup. He was the best player for our national side at that World Cup. This includes Cahill, Kewell, Swartz, Neil ect ..

He is a quality attacking player. Can play either striker, behind the striker or on the left and right wings.

For those unsure of his potential, check out this goal vs Serbia in the last game of the World Cup (2nd goal)

Welcome OzAv

Pretty good summing up of Brett. The one thing about him is he is a player that divides fans.

Those that don't like him tend to point to his poor first touch and at times wayward finishing. They will also call him a "headless chicken" as he is all over the place.

Those that do marvel at his engine and the fact he gets himself into positions others wouldn't to create something unexpected.

It's about time we had another Aussie international in the Villa squad - hopefully soon to be joined by Herd. 8)

he sounds a bit like James Milner

I hated this player for such a long time until the last world cup, where he really shone and showed some quality that I had never seen in him before. He is not really a wide player, but more of a support striker or AM, in the role Robbie Keane played for us. The fact that he has displaced Tim Cahill from the Australia team is a credit to him.

He still frustrates the hell out of me but he is a player that gets in there and does a job. He is a terrier and he will leave nothing on the pitch.

The only problem is he is completely devoid of any form of skill whatsoever.

I hated this player for such a long time until the last world cup, where he really shone and showed some quality that I had never seen in him before. He is not really a wide player, but more of a support striker or AM, in the role Robbie Keane played for us. The fact that he has displaced Tim Cahill from the Australia team is a credit to him.

He still frustrates the hell out of me but he is a player that gets in there and does a job. He is a terrier and he will leave nothing on the pitch.

I was liking your post until I read the last sentence! Would have thought someone in such an important position as behind the striker would need plenty of skill. That position tends to be filled by perhaps a teams most skillful player. Ireland, Keane and Bannan played it this season for us. Skillful players. Young last season.

And here was me who after reading this thread fully expected to know what Brett Holman has for breakfast due to the input of the 1m VT Aussie community (well that's what it seems like when there's a world cup or the Ashes is on :winkold: )

Come on, you lot can't say you've never heard of him as he's played over 50 times for your national team. :lol:

Australian and long-time Villa fan here. Hopefully it's better elucidated by the end of this reply, but, basically, we're indifferent. What Brett Holman has for breakfast rates somewhere between who cleans Barry Humphries' dentures and "wow, the sun's out".

His game is no longer hated and his presence in the national side is no longer a source of public virulence. How about that? Now, that may say more about the decline of the Socceroos' (I hate that name) pool of available talent, but it must be admitted that Holman has improved markedly in the past couple of years.

he seems like a Dirk Kuyt type grafter

A reasonably apt comparison, though I reckon Dirk, for his technical shortcomings, is effective because he thinks the game better than Holman. The latter always appears as if he's being hurried, and it quite often leads to errant passes or dribbling in to dead ends. That's in the national side, and Premiership football is not exactly slow by comparison.

Brett Holman's not especially creative, or fast, but he works hard off the ball, buzzing around in areas behind the front men, providing a wall off which to bounce the odd one-two and occasionally popping up for chances. He seems to get free in the box quite a bit, actually. He's not the winger and challenger to the likes of Albrighton some have espoused. He's a central attacking mid who is often deployed/found in wide positions, which suits not only his desire to dribble but his limited vision and passing range. He's also extremely right-footed. I mean, given the choice he might not even stand on his left leg.

Australia are a decent side to compare them with Togo is quite absurd and ignorant

This is tangential but you're vindicated by their being some 70-plus positions apart in the FIFA rankings, and decent is the very best evaluation one could give Australia based on current form/personnel. The incumbents are the least inspiring we've had for well over a decade. Making it to Brazil 2014 will be a struggle, and Holman will play a big part, so he'll be travelling a bit. As my compatriot suggests...

Pre 2009 Holman was a bit of a joke in Australian football - referred to as LOLman as he got hit on the back of the head by a through ball

2009 - Now he has found his feet with the national team and played well. He does a lot of work but his downfall is that he sometimes seems 3 steps ahead and rushes things and gives the ball away.

I'd say he was a pariah right up until part-way through RSA 2010, actually. The only guy rating him was former coach Verbeek, an absolute pragmatist. It was no exaggeration to say 95% with an interest wanted rid of Holman. How is this relevant now? Well, the guy will never pass the eye test; and only those examining deeper than the stats sheet will appreciate his input.

I'm wary of the cascading level of ambition at Villa of recent times, but even then I find it hard to believe that, ultimately, Holman will a regular first-teamer. Stephen Ireland (who's perhaps five times as gifted but, sadly, only thrice the player) would dribble laps around him. I would seriously hope the club is aiming at better than Holman as his replacement, should Ireland be off elsewhere.

Having said all that, he's a free and he's youngish. Acceptable.

I was liking your post until I read the last sentence! Would have thought someone in such an important position as behind the striker would need plenty of skill. That position tends to be filled by perhaps a teams most skillful player. Ireland, Keane and Bannan played it this season for us. Skillful players. Young last season.

I was perhaps exaggerating a tad on that last sentence.

He is capable of brilliant stuff, it's just that it all looks very accidental when it works. He has a horrible first touch, very shonky cross and his work in front of goal can make Heskey look like Robbie Fowler.

But he has excellent instincts as a footballer. My main criticism pre-World Cup was that he had this brilliant knack of finding himself in goal scoring positions and somehow conspired to butcher them every time.

He has improved though and I know love and hate him in equal measures.

And as to AZ "letting him go" there have been a number of quotes from him saying that he wants to move to England and find a new challenge and from that point of view I doubt he would have signed a new contract at AZ unless there were no new offers for him.

Holman is a fine squad player for you guys. The guy always gets a 6 at least because of his work ethic and scores a 7,5 on a good day. I liked the Dirk Kuyt comparison..Holman is much more agile and quicker though.

Holman stats:

2001/02 Paramatta Power 12 6

2002/03 Excelsior 30 6 Eredivisie

2003/04 Excelsior 34 6 Eerste divisie

2004/05 Excelsior 33 13 Eerste divisie

2005/06 Excelsior 37 14 Eerste divisie

2006/07 NEC 32 7 Eredivisie

2007/08 NEC 27 6 Eredivisie

2008/09 AZ 15 1 Eredivisie

2009/10 AZ 23 5 Eredivisie

2010/11 AZ 26 4 Eredivisie

2011/12 AZ 23 4 Eredivisie

Total: 292 72

There is also specualtion that Simon Poulsen could be on his way to Villa. He is a fine left back/midfielder and also on a free transfer from AZ. He is another player with great energy and work ethic and great crossing ability.

With all due respect to the dutch league.. it doesnt tell much of a story as to how he would go against better opposition in the Premier League.

As another villa fan in oz ( didnt realise we had so many ! )

I agree with most that he had a fine world cup.. but i still think hes not good enough for this level. I hope to be wrong.. but he cant control.. pass.. cross or finish.

Only reason he displaced Cahill was due to him recovering from injury and poor form. Cahill is still our number 1 on the team sheet.

Holman is an average footballer.. with good pace and an awesome engine. He will run and run and run.. miss chances and run some more.

Hadn't heard about this guy before todaay. Don't know what to think, but it's nice to see that we look for gems in the dutch league. Probably means that AML is staying and I don't want that, but at least he signs polayers in time.

All in all I'm positive about this. Hope that he can play a good part for us during the next season.

Wellcome to the finest club in the world, Brett

yet another aussie VT supporter here, so beware the bias.

I am delighted at this signing. Holman has a good engine, is deceptively quick, and is one of those players who is always available for a pass. he has the potential to be the 'robbie keane' link-man that we have enjoyed over the last couple of months, but is more midfielder than striker. he plays a similar role to Cahill in the Aussie national team, but as we saw against Serbia in the WC, he can hold his own at the highest level.

I think we will see a great asset who will win the fans over very quickly with his work rate and ability to play the ball on the ground and pop up with the odd goal.

I hope you're right Banger, because he divides Aussie fans like no other player I can remember.

I don't think anyone doubts his engine - it's his skill that concerns me. He will leave nothing on the pitch though and he will harass the opposition like nobody's business.

One thing he can do skill-wise, is play short balls through the opposition defence - which is the sort of thing that Darren Bent would appreciate one might suspect.

I think Holman divides Aussie fans because for years he did nothing.

He seemed useless for quite a while but recently he has managed to impose himself quite well on Socceroos games. I think it's a case of reputation having not caught up with form as yet.

Fingers crossed he comes good! I think he'll do wonders for the interest Villa attracts down here in Oz.