Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

50 international caps?

Didn't salifou have international caps? Playing for Australia is hardly the pinnacle of international football.

He may be alright but it's highly unlikely he's going to be a top premiership player. I just hoped for better but clearly our ambitions aren't that high anymore under Randy.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 international caps?

Didn't salifou have international caps? Playing for Australia is hardly the pinnacle of international football.

Australia are a decent side to compare them with Togo is quite absurd and ignorant

He may be alright but it's highly unlikely he's going to be a top premiership player

was a Bosman. Were you expecting Ronaldo or Messi?

50 international caps?

Salifou came from second division in Switzerland. Not from the best Dutch team.

I wrote this in the Summer re build thread but ill paste it into here..

Actaully i saw him against Udinese in the Europa league last week, And i have to say he didnt look half bad, quite creative.. Might add somthing to the team, please don't judge him by his goal ratio, because he is more of a creative player.. but of the whole half an hour I saw of him, he looked alrite.. so lets just wait before we pass judgment.

The second leg is on ESPN I think so will give it a watch to see how he does.

Don't have a clue about him either but he did score twice for the Aussies in the last world cup apparently in 3 games.

Wik says he's a second striker and he has a goal record of one in 6.

Keane being here for 6 week shows the advantage it can be to the team to have a player who can link midfield and attack while also chipping in with goals.

Ireland has been great since the start of the year but it would be naive to expect him to be like this all next season so alternatives are good.

I agree. If he was putting the effort in he could be playing for Spain, Argentina or even Brazil.

This site is absolutely laughable at times. He is Australian. That means he plays for Australia. If Lionel Messi was Australian, would that make him shit? Fucksake, Cristiano Ronaldo is Portuguese, and Portugal are not far off Australia's level. Does this mean Ronaldo is shit?

Get a grip man.

50 international caps?

He may be alright but it's highly unlikely he's going to be a top premiership player. I just hoped for better but clearly our ambitions aren't that high anymore under Randy.

Seeings as we're officially skint suspect we're not going to be signing too may proven top premiership players any time soon. Like all the other mid ranking teams with limited funds it's the Newcastle model we'll br trying to emulate.

Know zip about Mr Holman. Wish him all the best for nex year.

And here was me who after reading this thread fully expected to know what Brett Holman has for breakfast due to the input of the 1m VT Aussie community (well that's what it seems like when there's a world cup or the Ashes is on :winkold: )

Come on, you lot can't say you've never heard of him as he's played over 50 times for your national team. :lol:

I agree. If he was putting the effort in he could be playing for Spain, Argentina or even Brazil.

This site is absolutely laughable at times. He is Australian. That means he plays for Australia. If Lionel Messi was Australian, would that make him shit? Fucksake, Cristiano Ronaldo is Portuguese, and Portugal are not far off Australia's level. Does this mean Ronaldo is shit?

Get a grip man.

All day long!

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster.

As an Australian AV supporter I am absolutely thrilled in this signing.

He has been our best player for the national side since the last World Cup. He was the best player for our national side at that World Cup. This includes Cahill, Kewell, Swartz, Neil ect ..

He is a quality attacking player. Can play either striker, behind the striker or on the left and right wings.

For those unsure of his potential, check out this goal vs Serbia in the last game of the World Cup (2nd goal)

Get a grip man.

Bit of a stupid thing to say.

People are saying he's got international caps as if that shows he's a quality player. My point was playing for Australia is hardly proof of this.

Love how our financial situation, managerial appointment and now bosman signings should just be accepted.

Well done randy. Doug would have loved to have been able to lower expectations so much.

What happened to all the people saying we have money but wages are the only issue?

The only ray of hope is that signings like this are to keep us in the prem without spending too much while randy looks to sell.

Bet Darren Bent is so happy he joined us.

Im gonna start calling him, Bret'The Hitman' Holman. Welcome aboard son. Bit more competition for places, although the only negative with this is, as previous posters have eluded to, is that it does look like McLeish isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Get a grip man.

People are saying he's got international caps as if that shows he's a quality player. My point was playing for Australia is hardly proof of this.

I'll tell you what is stupid - shooting the player down before he has kicked a ball.

I want McLeish out as much as the next man, but writing off a player without knowing the first thing about him is just ignorant.

...although the only negative with this is, as previous posters have eluded to, is that it does look like McLeish isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

We are stuck with McLeish. We look safe after the weekend's win, but I have no doubt McLeish would still be here next season if we were relegated. He would still be here if we finished bottom of the league, getting bummed 5-0 in every game between now and the end of the season. Then Lerner/Faulkner would most likely come out and say he was the "most experienced and best placed person to get us back into the top flight".

Get a grip man.

I'll tell you what is stupid - shooting the player down before he has kicked a ball.

I want McLeish out as much as the next man, but writing off a player without knowing the first thing about him is just ignorant.

I actually said he might be alright but I'll be amazed if he's the type of player who is going to make us anything more than a nothing midtable team.

TBH I probably am unfairly taking my frustrations out on this signing.

I'm sick of Mcleish being the manager, I'm sick of randy as our owner, i'm sick of how shit our club has been run and our current future looks nothing but boring shit.

Welcome to the Villa Brett, good luck mate, you're gonna need it !

I remember people moaning in the days of MON about how we don't do this kind of deal and always left our transfer dealings until deadline day. The Mellberg transfer being a case in point but the other way round, loyal servant wants to ply his trade in another country and goes with the clubs best wishes, fair play, hope this comes off.

Doesn't hurt though eh? And what about being a regular for the current top club side in Holland? That proves nothing either, but can't hurt eh? So what we have here is a guy who is 27, a regular for his country with over 50 caps and a regular for his club side who currently sit on top of their national league. And you want to try and turn it into a negative or at the very least you want to play down the positives as much as you can. And you wonder why people are reacting to you. Forgive us if we try and see the positives from what looks initially to be a fairly astute signing.