Confirmed: Brett Holman from AZ.

Oaks

Love how our financial situation, managerial appointment and now bosman signings should just be accepted.

Well done randy. Doug would have loved to have been able to lower expectations so much.

What happened to all the people saying we have money but wages are the only issue?

The only ray of hope is that signings like this are to keep us in the prem without spending too much while randy looks to sell.

Bet Darren Bent is so happy he joined us.

It's pretty meaningless that he's a Bosman - it's no indicator of quality. I'm pretty sure Arsenal fans weren't complaining about getting Sol Campbell on a Bosman, or Chelsea fans with Ballack, or Barcelona fans with Larsson or... you get my point. Nicky Shorey cost £5mn. I'll say it again: £5mn.

We can't judge until he's played for us. I for one would like to see us picking up a couple of bargains as we have wasted a ridiculous amount of money over the past few years. A lot of the clubs above us in the table are playing much better football with fewer resources than we have had.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty meaningless that he's a Bosman - it's no indicator of quality. I'm pretty sure Arsenal fans weren't complaining about getting Sol Campbell on a Bosman, or Chelsea fans with Ballack, or Barcelona fans with Larsson or... you get my point. Nicky Shorey cost £5mn. I'll say it again: £5mn.

Luc Nilis.

Well, this is what we jumped on O'Neill for not doing: Getting a proven international player who plays regurarly at the best Dutch team for a free with low wages.

I am quite happy with the signing.

If he's half the player Salifou was, we'll be laughing.

Seriously though, I don't see the risk with a signing like this. It's not lke we've paid £5m for him and is on £60k pw. If it works, excellent, we got a tidy bit of business. If it doesn't work, no real shakes, just move him on for a profit.

Well, this is what we jumped on O'Neill for not doing: Getting a proven international player who plays regurarly at the best Dutch team for a free with low wages.

Seriously though, I don't see the risk with a signing like this. It's not lke we've paid £5m for him and is on £60k pw. If it works, excellent, we got a tidy bit of business. If it doesn't work, no real shakes, just move him on for a profit.

Yep, I'm sure we can send him to one of the poorer Dutch teams, like Ajax, Feynoord or PSV.

At least he has shown that he is good enough for the best team in that league....

We need to give the guy a chance. He could be decent or he could be poor, we will wait and see. This isn't some last minute signing either so fingers crossed the club has seen something in him. Also it will do well in raising our profile down under which is also a good thing. Lets hope he adapts and has a very good and long career with us :)

I've overreacted, I know that. Like I said I'm frustrated and this signing is an easy target to get at.

I'll give him a fair chance, hell I gave marlon harewood a chance so it's the least I can do.

I guess this signing is also what I've wanted. A cheap player, something different and someone who could turn out to be a good player.

Also glad Mcleish has identified a winger as something that needs sorting.

If we had a different manager or owner, this would be the type of signing I could get behind. Now I'm so frustrated with the two clearings in the woods running the place my first thought is a negative one.

Good luck to the lad and I hope he improves us.

Luc Nilis.

Well exactly. I wonder if he would be so fondly remembered if we had spent £3mn on him.

Based on transfer fees for current clubs, you could have a team the following for the same price as we paid for Steve Sidwell.

Brad Friedel

Sebastian Larsson

Micah Richards

William Gallas

(Ok, sod it, I'm struggling for a left back, so I'll say Nicky Shorey)

Tim Cahill

Lionel Messi

Esteban Cambiasso

David Vaughan

Johan Elmander

Luke Slayer of Man City Moore

You could possibly even afford to have Sidwell as a sub. Not exactly world beaters, but I'd give that team a pretty good chance against our current one.

I agree DeepDish. Nobody can be surprised that McLeish will be with us next season.

It won't hurt for Albrighton to have a bit of competition for his place. Having an alternative on the bench won't hurt either player or the team.

I've overreacted, I know that. Like I said I'm frustrated and this signing is an easy target to get at.

I'll give him a fair chance, hell I gave marlon harewood a chance so it's the least I can do.

I guess this signing is also what I've wanted. A cheap player, something different and someone who could turn out to be a good player.

If we had a different manager or owner, this would be the type of signing I could get behind. Now I'm so frustrated with the two clearings in the woods running the place my first thought is a negative one.

I think that sums up how a lot of fans may be feeling. Good post lad.

BJ Fair play to you mate. Good post.

I don't think there is an Aston Villa supporter who isn't frustrated at the moment and those frustrations can often lead to reacting negatively to the wrong things.

I also don't think that any Aston Villa fan is happy at the moment. I think there are just different degrees of unhappiness.

As for the signing I'm pretty happy with it. No fee, likely to be on moderate wages and as shone at a club top of its league, all be an inferior league to the one we compete in. He plays in a position we lack any strength in depth in, its a low risk signing and I welcome him and wish the lad luck.

Pre 2009 Holman was a bit of a joke in Australian football - referred to as LOLman as he got hit on the back of the head by a through ball

2009 - Now he has found his feet with the national team and played well. He does a lot of work but his downfall is that he sometimes seems 3 steps ahead and rushes things and gives the ball away.

Yep, I'm sure we can send him to one of the poorer Dutch teams, like Ajax, Feynoord or PSV.

At least he has shown that he is good enough for the best team in that league....

On the day Australia’s 30-man provisional World Cup group was named, there were 737 members of the ‘Brett Holman is a joke’ group on social networking site Facebook.

Derided by fans of the Socceroos who fail to see his worth to the team, he is seemingly loved in equal measure by coach Pim Verbeek.

It is a strange situation considering the attacking midfielder is the only member of the Australian squad to have played in the Champions League group stage this season and has been an integral part of the Aussie team throughout qualifying for the World Cup.

Criticisms from fans range from his lack of touch to his poor finishing skills.

He moved to Feyenoord in Holland as a raw 17-year-old following a burst of goals for Paramatta Power.

He never actually played a match for Feyenoord as he was loaned to Excelsior and became a regular in their first team, playing 134 times in a four-year spell. His next port of call was NEC Nijmegen before departing for AZ where he won the league title in his first season.

He found first team opportunities hard to come by but Ronald Koeman took over from Louis van Gaal at the start of the season and has given Holman a more prominent role in the team and he went on to play in all six of AZ’s Champions League games.

Primarily used as back-up to Tim Cahill, Holman cannot boast a scoring record anywhere near as good as the Everton midfielder’s, but he has the total backing of coach Verbeek who says: “Normally he plays behind the striker but at AZ he's a right winger. He's played almost every game and he's very important for their team. He's always been very important for us

"Villa have a long and prestigious history in English football and a fantastic set of fans." I like the sound of that Brett. We have not done too badly with Aussies in the past have we and OzAV has done our scouting for us:

He has been our best player for the national side since the last World Cup. He was the best player for our national side at that World Cup. This includes Cahill, Kewell, Swartz, Neil ect .. He is a quality attacking player. Can play either striker, behind the striker or on the left and right wings

But, I wonder can he play right or left back? :winkold:

It is nice to see us looking to agree deals for players that others might want early, it shows our scouts are looking outside of the UK and the price is right for the new cash strapped club we have become. Welcome to the club Brett!

March 2012,Holman stated that he had signed for Aston Villa after speaking at length with one Matt Damon who had told Brett what a great state the club has found themselfs in,Matt went on to say "at least where not Everton"

This was on his wiki, very bizarre!!

I appreciate the honesty and we all know you views on the club and manager so +1 for you for typing this.

I haven't seen him play but I have the chance to watch Dutch league over here in Texas so will try to catch the remainder of the games he plays in.

I sent Jozy Altidore a tweet and the reply I got was "quality player. Perfect league for the pace he likes to play."

He tweeted shortly afterwards "Big congrats to Brett Holman. Sad to see him go but he's a top player and deserves a new challenge."

Now I know he isn't going to run him down as a team mate but nice to get a opinion (even if brief) from someone who plays with him on a regular basis. Look forward to seeing what Brett can do when he puts on the Claret and Blue.

Good to have some extra competition on the wings. Players need it to get everything out of them.